Flavio Briatore tips Webber for Title

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85846

Professional :censored: Flavio Briatore has tipped his own driver for the title, saying Mark Webber is a very good driver with undoubted ability.

Indeed, his ability was so good he is practically the only one of Flavio Briatore's drivers who have not been given a contract with Renault.

Although Flavio Briatore may be right that Webber will win the title (although he may be wrong), it does not pass my attention that Flavio Briatore's alterior motive shines through, and that Flavio Briatore lies at almost every occasion he opens his mouth.

But, at any rate, it seems unfortunate that Flavio Briatore seems to be unable to keep himself away from Formula One, which is exactly where Formula One needs him to be.

The idea that a Webber victory is a victory for Flavio Briatore makes you want to see this a little bit more often:
vettel_finger_wideweb__470x323,0.jpg

Re: B******e tips Webber for Title

Well self moderated ... until the picture. Seriously do we need to see that any more than we do already?!

Now both RBR drivers have backers (B****e - Vettel vs B******e - Webber)

Regarding Webber to Renault, isn't it simply the case that Flava Flav didn't want to put Webber up against Alonso, both his drivers? That doesn't explain why he didn't go in 2007 though, I suppose. Was FB also Heikki's manager?

Webber was offered a Renault seat at the end of '04, but turned it down for a Williams drive (it seemed like the right move at the time...)

Fisichella got to follow Fernando around instead. In fact, perversely, Mark's career might have been long over if he had decided differently?

I hope he wins it this season. I can't see it happening, but I think it would be good for the sport. Nobody else particularly deserves it, from where I'm sitting.

I would rather Webber won than vettel; webber has always come across as a straight forward guywho says it as it is whilst vettel has been increasingly annoying since hes had a winning car. I cant see Jenson getting the better of Lewis this year, so im hoping Lewis has a couple of good races and button goes into a supporting role as i really cant see McLaren developing the car enough to challenge for the WCC and therefore both drivers having a shot at the title. never been a fan of Alonso and was hoping Massa would beat him this year. Germany for me means that thats unfortunantly not going to happen.

Galahad said:
Webber was offered a Renault seat at the end of '04, but turned it down for a Williams drive (it seemed like the right move at the time...)

I probably should have expected that! You have to say he's got guts turning down a drive from his own manager.

Long term, it was probably the right move, as you say, Galahad. He did a decent job against 'barometer' Heidfeld where as Fisichella was undergoing reputation surgery by Dr. Alonso, which led to Fisi at FI and Webber at Red Bull.

teabagyokel said:
F****o B******e

Grizzly moderation: Please do not try and bypass the swear filter, allow the filter to do its work :snigger: :snigger:

It angers me that the only RB driver i could handle winning the chumpionship could bring benefit to one of the biggest fraudsters in F1, of all time.

I always had a bad feeling about Briatore, never liked him. Apart from Schumacher, he was the only person i ever openly disliked in F1.

(Mosley isn't F1 right? he' FIA...)

It's a bit spooky, but when scrolling down from the top of the article, the picture of Seb (while I could just see his head and epaulettes) made him look to me a bit like a matador, giving the 'finger' to the Bull. :snigger:

Galahad said:
I hope he wins it this season. I can't see it happening, but I think it would be good for the sport. Nobody else particularly deserves it, from where I'm sitting.

I take issue with this.

I see very little to say Webber himself "deserves it". He's been very ordinary in fact, when you balance everything out.

I admit and appreciate the great performances he's had in Barcelona, Monaco and Hungary were fantastic and of "champion" quality. He was alright at Silverstone, but he had no real opposition once Seb thought he'd take a little detour.

However when you look at some of the rest of his races, namely Melbourne and Valencia, he did what he so frequently seems to do, and became a liability on the race track. A couple of brain fades and he threw away points - and I'm not talking about the Kovalainen collision, I'm talking about his opening lap - that were there for the taking. He doesn't utilise his equipment well enough.

If we're talking "deserving" the title I can't look past Lewis Hamilton. In every race this year except for the two mechanical DNFs he has either stayed in front (once), gained a position or in most cases, several positions. He hasn't had any of the "brain fade" moments that plague the rest of the contenders this year, with the exception of Button, who I would also count as a more deserving champion than Webber, although his lack of pace when it counts has proven to be his biggest weakness this year.

Webber has had the fastest car all year, and hasn't done what he could've done with it. I have no doubt that given that RB6, any of Button, Hamilton or Alonso, would've had a big gap ahead of the field by now.

Oh, and I must be one of the only F1 fans that doesn't like Mark Webber. All this "decent guy" stuff.. give me a break.

Enja said:
Oh, and I must be one of the only F1 fans that doesn't like Mark Webber. All this "decent guy" stuff.. give me a break.
No, I will put my hand up to thinking the same. The only problem I've got is that if it HAS to be one of the RB drivers, he is by far the better choice..

Back
Top Bottom