FIA to clamp down on 'trick' fuel systems

rufus_mcdufus

Champion Elect
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-clamps-down-on-trick-f1-fuel-systems-568197
FIA are to ban fuel flow systems from delivering less than 90kg/hr of fuel.
Sounds like Ferrari and Mercedes could be key adopters of clever variable-rate fuel flow systems which can exploit lower/higher fuel rates for short periods of time to optimise efficiency.
I can't help thinking this is one area where F1 is providing a technical benefit to automotive technology - extracting optimum performance from the same total amount of fuel by varying the flow rate. Isn't that clever, and shouldn't it be encouraged rather than banned?

Last edited:
I'm sure it's something that will make it to the road eventually despite the FIA not wanting it in F1 cars. The idea of a road-going car that barely sips at the fuel except when it needs to use more (presumably it's basically using the same idea as coasting, but it's all done by varying the fuel flow rate) is too attractive to buyers for it to not end up on the market. Combine that with the variable cylinder engines available in some cars, and you might have something really special, if you can get it to work together.

The FIA didn't find any evidence of rule-bending regarding fuel flow this weekend but have taken a lot of data to analyse over the next few days. Could be interesting. Or not.

It has always been said that Formula One technology feeds down to the family car but in fact that is a load of bollocks F1 is completely irrelevant to the family saloon a tiny bit of it may find it's way to the supercars but that's about it.

I would say for the most part the reverse is true, technology outside the sport is adopted by F1, ERS is old technology the hybrid engine is old technology fly by wire is old technology first used in the aircraft industry I can't think of one single innovation that F1 has invented and developed, and fuel flow regulators are definitely not an F1 invention..

Last edited:
Standard FIA procedure, wait until the system has been designed, tested, installed and operational before reviewing it and banning it. That's the way to play a part in keeping costs down.

:givemestrength:

F1 could be relevant to road going technology again if it reduced it's dependence on aerodynamics and increased mechanical grip. Also, opening up the regs so engine manufacturers and teams are encouraged to be clever with fuel use or suspension control or any other device (mass damper, as an example) that could have road car applications

It has always been said that Formula One technology feeds down to the family car but in fact that is a load of bollocks F1 is completely irrelevant to the family saloon a tiny bit of it may find it's way to the supercars but that's about it.

Strange as I find my Mercedes C Class always seems to overtake the Renault Scenic on the M6 rather easily & I don't need to press the DRS button on the steering wheel.

Back
Top Bottom