Ferrari get angry...

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Thought it worth reproducing in full Ferrari's response to Niki Lauda's comments about them "getting a pasting" when they are brought before the WMSC for race fixing

After events in Hockenheim, a wave of hypocrisy swept through the paddock, with so many pundits, young and old, keen to have their say: some were promptly brought back into line by his master’s voice, while others continue to pronounce sentence willy-nilly. The lastest missive comes from Austria, from a person, who having hung up his helmet, has never missed out on a chance to dispense opinions left and right, even if, on more than one occasion, he has had to indulge in some verbal acrobatics to reposition himself in line with the prevailing wind. This time, good old Niki has missed out on a fine opportunity to keep his mouth shut, given that, when he was a Scuderia driver, the supposed Ferrari driver management policy suited him perfectly…That aside, where was all his moral fury when, over the past years, so many have been guilty of more or less overt hypocritical actions? As for any predictions regarding a possible decision from the FIA World Council on 8 September, time will tell: in this sort of situation, the best policy is to respect and to trust in the highest level of the sport’s governing body.

Frankly I'm astonished that Ferrari think they will garner any sympathy for having a go at one of their former drivers in such an appaling manner. What are their PR department thinking about?

I see that they are sticking to their guns, but by doing that they are digging themselves in a bigger hole.

I posted this in the other thread but it's not the first time this year Ferrari have posted an utterly bizarre article on their website and I suspect it won't be the last.

The impression I get from their rantings is they really do think Formula One revolves around them.

Mosley has a lot to answer for thanks to the "special relationship" he fostered during his tenure.

I am not surprised that they would attack Lauda. After all, he had the temerity to win a WDC in their car, and then leave the team before the season was over! They have harbored ill feelings towards Lauda ever since.

What surprises me is that the author of the attack is well-read enough to use the word "missive". Rather more educated than I would expect of a Ferrari rant!

I thought after the last time Ferrari would need to post an apology for such a politically incorrect posting on their site, they do seem to have lost their sense of reality...

Maybe we were luckier than we thought when Jean Todt left them for a more constructive role.

It's a big shame, but it really seems that Ferrari culture requires a strong professional at the helm to filter their self serving view of F1 - I've worked for companies like that in the past and it's frightening how dissatisfied you can get with your own efforts when the Management ruin others' image of you.

Unless they get someone strong enough to act as a decent Management filter they're unlikely to get to the top for long, which is a shame because where they're right is that Ferrari has brought a lot to F1, but that input has dried up for the moment...

If they wanted to have a go at Lauda, they could have done it in a way that didn't read like someone having a reactionary rant/tantrum on a blog. Then maybe someone (possibly) would take their opinions seriously.

Just read from our friend Czar_Orac on 606, that if further sanctions are imposed upon Ferrari at the WMSC hearing next month, then Ferrari plan to take legal proceedings against the FIA on the basis that the words to Massa were only a clarification of the racing situation, in the same vein that 'he who shall not be named' successfully pushed.

Obviously this is not yet confirmed, but the poster normally does have his information correct. We shall see.

I think if Ferrari take Flavio Briatore as a precedent then they will need better lawyers, Briatore lost his case!

The words to Massa were a 'clarification of the racing situation'! Do Ferrari think everyone in the world is stupid bar them. I'll just remind you that 20 laps before the incident, Martin Brundle (who has never worked for Ferrari) told viewers on the BBC that the code they should be looking out for over team radio was something like "Fernando is faster than you".

And the
Briatore case showed that telemetry can show up team orders; such as Piquet keeping his foot down as he went into the wall. And I'm damn sure that Massa's telemetry will show a counter-intuitive slow down on the straight as Alonso went past.

My opinion is that it was clearly team orders.
But if Massa sticks to his story that it was his decision to allow Alonso past after recieving the radio message "that Alonso is faster than you" then whatever the telemetery shows the WMSC will find it difficult to prove that it was team orders.
If Massa's telemetery shows that he did indeed slow if he states that his tyres were graining and he was saving them how can that be disprooved.
Bridgestone cannot offer any enlightenment as they can only report on the condition of his tyres at the end of the race.
Much as I dislike team orders I can't see Ferrari suffering any further sactions except maybe a large fine.

I don't think lifting off the throttle for a second or 2 can be used as a defence for saving tyres as that will have no effect whatsoever.
The telemetry traces will show that at that point on that lap, Massa did something different to the 50 other laps.

Ultimately the WMSC don't need to prove the case beyond all reasonable doubt.

Brogan said:
I don't think lifting off the throttle for a second or 2 can be used as a defence for saving tyres as that will have no effect whatsoever.
The telemetry traces will show that at that point on that lap, Massa did something different to the 50 other laps.

Ultimately the WMSC don't need to prove the case beyond all reasonable doubt.

So Massa simply says he got cramp in his right foot for a second or two.
I am afraid that Ferrari will get away with it.

sportsman said:
So Massa simply says he got cramp in his right foot for a second or two.

That would contradict his statement after the race that he decided to let Alonso through. I think he said that anyway, I've lost track at this point.

teabagyokel said:
... either way it won't take a genius to work out what was going on.

Just because everyone knows what happened doesn't mean they will be punished for it.

Have you seen Training Day with Denzil Washington? There's a famous line that sums this all up perfectly.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

I think it comes down to how Massa and Rob Smedly feel about the situation.

If they are prepared to lie about the incident then Ferrari will get off, if they are not then they won't.

How are your morals boys?

If they are guilty (which most people seem to think) and if Ferrari and their employees continue to lie then I would expect the punishment to be even more severe.

That seems to be how the FIA operates, or at least it was when Mosley was in charge.

MajorDanby said:
I think it comes down to how Massa and Rob Smedly feel about the situation.

If they are prepared to lie about the incident then Ferrari will get off, if they are not then they won't.

How are your morals boys?

Now ain't that the real truth.Depends if their morals for the truth are stronger than their desire to avoid the dole queue.

As i see it Ferrari have two options.

Own up and walk away with a big punishment. (which IMO will go towards restoring their reputation, in part)

OR

Lie, get away with it, but leave their reputation in tatters on the floor.

What is more important to them?

Back
Top Bottom