Ferrari, Alonso and Vettel

well Luca has been planning successors since he decided Raikkonen should replace Schumi by Sep 2005
he told Michael Kimi joins in 2007 on equal terms and you will pass the baton to him
Course we know Michael bailed out

WHen Kimi was not good enough Luca signed Alonso ...and now he's been after Vettel for the last 2 years and will get him ..but I am not sure Ferrari have plenty of money like they use to get their man..

the back up plan sounds like Hulkenberg given his drive at Sauber is to prove himself

It's an odd one eh?

Why continue to delay the decision for your driver line up in 2013 when ones not achieving the results? Why not take on your protege and put him in the car to replace the under-performing driver?

I seriously think somethings been signed between Vettel and Ferrari, hence why they didn't want Perez for a year,

Although I'm not sure why Vettel would agree to such a deal, going from a team you are comfortable with, to a team that one of your biggest rivals has made his own since he stepped in.

If/when it happens, I hope it's exciting and close, rather one sided whatever the reasons.

I think Alonso will come out on top, mainly because it's his home.

Maybe it's specified in FA's contract that Ferrari will put all their eggs under one rooster for their 6 year agreement,but if none of the eggs have hatched after 4 seasons, another rooster can be chosen ?
As for Felipe's 1 year contract , he must protect the egg at all times , can take it for a walk in the parc , but must put it back under the rooster before the finish line

On a broader scale, maybe F1 will revert to the way things were pre-eighties, when the norm was to have established number one and two drivers at every team. The legacy of 2007 at McLaren. Regardless of the controversies, from a purely sporting point of view two drivers in the same team finished equal on points and number of wins in a team that scored four one-twos that year. Had the order been reversed at any one of these and one of their drivers would have taken the title. Meanwhile another team's driver pipped them by one point with a little help from his team-mate at the last race.

Luca Di MOntezemolo since he has been calling the shots at Ferrari away from Todt he has always planned successors

He planned Raikkonen to be alongside Schumacher for 2007 and a similar contract to the one Vettel probably has was sorted by 2006 and I was amazed at the salary Kimi got $50M a year and $28m clause for his deal

It did not happen because Michael quit in 2006 knowing Kimi was his teammate and he would not be No 1

So I wonder if Alonso wins the title in 2013 would he just quit because he could be a 3 time or 4 time champion by then before Vettel joins then I wonder if the team would be Vettel and Hulkenberg possibly

Not sure two Germans would float Ferrari's boat. The have commercial considerations the same as any team. Any good Spanish drivers coming through to keep Santander on board?

I am not sure if Vettel 's deal with Ferrari is dependent on getting Newey:unsure:
Not sure two Germans would float Ferrari's boat. The have commercial considerations the same as any team. Any good Spanish drivers coming through to keep Santander on board?

Probably bad for all the right reasons in that would we see racing with these two? Where ever Adrian goes is where Seb will go, also can't see any decent German Bank wanted to placed on the side of the Italian car.

FB

No off course not but Alonso could happily retire at the end of next season after 4 world titles but given the contract is until 2016 I am sure he would have to compensate Ferrari then

Hulkenberg appears to be the plan B option if Vettel decides not to join

Spanish drivers coming through?? Well Algarsuari was wrongly dropped by STR I feel when he clearly was much faster than Buemi and expected to do a Vettel on less resources within that team

Alonso was asked this week whether he is returning to F1 next year. "You mean to Ferrari", said he. Nothing is impossible but I do not want to discuss it right now.

Hmmm, very weak denial by Alonso. Sounds to me that exploratory calls probably had taken place, and this might be therefore Seb's last year in the F1. Foul mood the guy he is in, I would not be surprised if he decides to play Rosberg.

Last edited:
While Leclerc is impressive, more often than not (practices, qualifying, etc.) Vettel is faster. Not sure what the impact of age has been on Alonso, but back in 2007, Alonso and Hamilton were equal. I still think that in all reality Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso remain the three fastest drivers in or around F1, and to date, no one else quite matches them (maybe Verstappen?)

Last edited:
If Alonso is dropping weak denials in the press it means he has NOT signed for Ferrari. He has consistently dropped things in the press about signing for this team or that team which were simply not true. It gives him press space and strengthens his brand (apparently).

Back
Top Bottom