Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

That was a truly bizarre set of comments from Alonso. According to him, it's all to do with xenophobia and nationality as well.

I just wish that he would do the decent thing, and retire. Properly. For good. Alonso reminds me of Nelson Piquet... Everything is somebody else's fault.

it is a weird 1 because he usually qualifying in middle of the pack because on the best days alpine is the 5th best car. so if your in the danger zone you going to get hit by law of averages. also comparing a 1st lap incident where its very much of the moment to a premeditated move as he rehearsed it on the lap to the grid from garage to 1st lap chaos makes no sense.

but he is correct the rules arent applied correctly because he shouldve got drive through penalty for re-entering the circuit in a unsafe manner. because you cant reenter the circuit at 150-170mph. he gets that wrong spears a driver. he gets castigated & potentially banned for a race

as palmer made a great point in the 5 live preview. he does the 'woah is me' act but when was the last time alonso was penalised & does see to bear a grudge v him because he talked about to similar incidents in consecutive weeks in 2017 where Magnussen forced hulkenberg off got a penalty. & alonso did the same to palmer. got away with it. because in his words he's alonso & gets a way with murder. also jack Nicholls revealed in 2009 or 2012 had the nickname in paddock teflonso because nothing sticks

Last edited:
The Sochi rule - someone was asleep then and not paying attention given I remember drivers use to do that at places like Spa and Hockenheim until they clamped down on it

The stewards did not do their jobs because that corner can cause a few accidents at the start

----------

Whilst I am on here what is the likelihood he is now bottlenecking a cue of drivers in the Alpine academy because

Ocon has a 3 year contract so is not going anywhere
Zhou wants out seeing he has little chance of progressing at Alpine
Piastri is being pushed into F1 and will likely end up with Alpine as sometime point ideally

Then you also have Gasly who would also be available for a lot less in 2023 as well?

So is Alonso looking to drive beyond 2022 as well?

I realise this is the Alonso thread, but I do think that if Alpine replaced both their drivers, with one experienced driver (say Hulkenberg, or Gasly), and one of their academy, they might actually fair much better. (Much in the same way as McLaren suddenly transformed when Alonso left, and Vandoorne was not re-hired)

Alonso is one of those drivers whose PR teams were much better than his actual talent. After all, he was beaten by:
  1. Tarso Marques at Minardi (2001, dubious)
  2. Jarno Trulli at Renault (2004, until Trulli was sacked for beating Alonso)
  3. Lewis Hamilton at McLaren (2007)
  4. Jenson Button at McLaren (2015)
He also barely beat Vandoorne over the course of the 2017 F1 season. As a driver, he also breeds division, rather than unity.

After Crashgate, I would have banned him from the sport for life. (It is barely believable that he didn't know that Piquet was going to "take one for the team")

I was thinking, credit where credits due, he drove a good race today and then Croft and Brundle started screaming into the mic as he crossed the line as if Alonso had just won the world title and I thought, nope, I can't do it.

it was a great drive. Alonso got very lucky because i cant help but feel that Virtual Safety Car saved him, because he wouldnt have been on the podium as if tyre didnt blow perez wouldve overtaken him

on alpine point, its a big shame that Oscar Piastri who is in a illustrious list of people if he wins consecutive junior titles. will be lost because there is no chance alpine are getting rid of alonso or ocon for 2023.

Last edited:
Has he mentioned that he is the “most complete driver on the grid” after his podium today.
Not sure but I'm pretty certain he reminded every Sky pundit that he has compromising information on all of them and that, if they fail to declare anything even remotely positive he does as being anything other than the greatest thing in all of Motorsport history, he will reveal exactly what that information is.

Fernando Alonso has now gone 145 race starts without winning a race. For the "most complete driver in F1", that's a mightily long drought.

That puts him on a level with Derek Warwick (147 race starts without a win)... For context, Michele Alboreto was entered for 150 GPs after his last win (although he didn't qualify for many)

Poor old Derek Warwick. A brilliant driver but one with an outstanding habit of signing for teams after they'd gone to pieces.

Alonso has soaked up wages like there's no tomorrow and what has he given back to any team he's driven for since 2006?

Poor old Derek Warwick. A brilliant driver but one with an outstanding habit of signing for teams after they'd gone to pieces.

Alonso has soaked up wages like there's no tomorrow and what has he given back to any team he's driven for since 2006?
Probably $1bn write off if you ask Mclaren

Was at a motorshow this is the closest I'll ever get to Fernando

Attachments

• 20220821_163226.jpg
    20220821_163226.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 61
Fernando Alonso tells the man who's paying his wages that his son has the potential to be a world champion.

I wonder why?

LOL

Back
Top Bottom