Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Because he is media trained to within an inch of his life which means he manages to not tell the truth without actually telling any lies. He makes out everything he does is for the good of the sport whilst really it's for the good of his own self interest.

He is a politician. Everyone hates politicians.

Last edited:
It was a bright career in Formula 1.
Contrasts:
on the one hand 2 championship titles and expert evaluation as the best pilot,
on the other hand blackmail his team by court, Hungary 2007, Singapore 2008...
He left his mark in the history of Formula 1.

It was a bright career in Formula 1.
Contrasts:
on the one hand 2 championship titles and expert evaluation as the best pilot,
on the other hand blackmail his team by court, Hungary 2007, Singapore 2008...
He left his mark in the history of Formula 1.

the more the i think i about his career he is a "less successful" micheal Schumacher with talent & controversy in equal measures

the more the i think i about his career he is a "less successful" micheal Schumacher with talent & controversy in equal measures
12 seasons without title for Formula 1 champion...
It is record for all times.
But I must admit that Fernando, or rather his character is the blacksmith of his own career.

Years later it may seem that the sunset Alonso began
with the arrival of the newcomer Hamilton
on the same team with the Spaniard

Years later it may seem that the sunset Alonso began
with the arrival of the newcomer Hamilton
on the same team with the Spaniard

Agreed, and right from the first moment of the 2007 season. I'll never forget Hammy's debut start when he stormed past Alonso into turn one - F1 gold.

Everything they mentioned in the video is so far back in history that people who didn't follow F1 10 years ago can't relate to any of it. It shows that Matt Adore has past his best before date. The only recent memories of him were the insults towards Honda, but in this day age I'm not surprised that people find it amusing, as nearly nothing else happens on track.

The team radio they included of Alonso talking about karma is hilarious considering all the bad karma he must have accumulated during his career. 2004 (Briatore releasing Trulli to protect his little sunshine), McLaren 2007 (Spygate), Singapore 2008 (Crashgate), Hockenheim 2010 (Team order), Abu Dhabi 2010 (Complaining about Petrov not letting him pass). I also don't understand why everyone seems to want to put their head up his bum just to please the boy, especially Zak Brown and the other McLaren clowns. I'm certain that Alonso played a major role in McLaren terminating their engine agreement with Honda and he's retiring and now they're stuck with a Renault engine which is just as bad as Hondas.

I agree with Dr. Helmut Marko that all Alonso does is bring chaos to a team which in effect overshadows his performance. A great driver without doubt, undeserving of more championships though, and it's time for someone to pierce his bubble.

Last edited:
There's definitely something going on when a driver of his skill is not wanted by teams. Imagine how much farther up the grid Williams would be with Alonso instead of Stroll

Glowing tribute today from Kevin Magnussen:

“Fernando was intentionally trying to be close in order to have a perfect slipstream and overtake into Turn One. That's just disrespectful.

"I know he thinks he's a god but no way am I going to let him past me. It was just pretty stupid and unnecessary.

"He came to me after qualifying and laughed to my face. It's outright disrespectful. I can't wait for him to retire."

that was stupid from Alonso what was he thinking trying to overtake on fast lap around the outside. it was never going to work in qualifying. I agree with Kmag he was delusional to think anyone else was at fault but him. as magnussen had the line & right of way

Back
Top Bottom