Formula 2 F2 2021

F1Brits_90

World Champion
F2 season will begin later today with the points for qualifying. & its a brilliant series always enjoy watching this, ive seen some quality drivers down the years Gasly, Vandoorne, Bird, Leclerc, Russell, Norris, Albon, Tsunoda & Mick Schumacher, & it weirdly starts where it crowned its champion & by a quirk of the calendar. by the time we race at our 2nd venue on the calendar it will have been 8 months (sept 2020 sochi - may 2021 monaco) since F2 have driven on a different circuit to bahrain. after final 4 races of 2020, testing & 1st 3 races of 2021 all in sakhir

Because of cost-cutting measures, the F2 & F3 championships will now adopt a new format. in F2 case instead of the 12 x 2 1 feature & 1 sprint we will have 8 x 3 2 sprint races & 1 feature races. forming the same 24-race season & F2 + F3 will alternate between weekends & will no longer be on the same weekend. The new weekend set up takes a bit of getting use to. so strap in :D. the results of the Friday’s Qualifying session will determine the grid for the Feature Race that has been moved to Sunday now & starting grid for 1st race of the season Saturday afternoon (pre F1 qualifying) Sprint Race & the starting grid of 2nd Sprint Race Saturday evening (post F1 qualifying) will be determined by reversing the top 10 finishers of Sprint Race earlier in the afternoon. seems vastly complicated & is going to lead to some interesting moments in Monaco when i predict carnage but not in the way you think on track. so many people will try to be too clever for their own good.

in my opinion what they shouldve done for this new 3 race schedule is for race 1 qualifying sets the grid for Saturday afternoon & feature race. but from round 2 onwards the 1st Saturday sprint race grid should be decided on championship standings & then reverse the top 10 of that result like you normally would for saturday evening sprint race. as it would reduce the likelyhood for funny business & people trying to qualify 7th on the friday

drivers movement from 2020 to 2021

Joining
Oscar Piastri the F3 champion with Prema has Moved up with Prema Into F2,
Lirim Zendeli will join the championship with MP Motorsport.
After finish F3 5th in 2020 Liam Lawson has been promoted by Hitech to F2
Juri Vips after an aborted year in Japan Has joined Hitech
Youngest driver in the paddock, Théo Pourchaire after final 2 rounds in 2020 will join the championship on a full-time basis with ART Grand Prix,
HWA Racelab will enter a new driver line-up in Alessio Deledda and Matteo Nannini
Ralph Boschung has returned to Campos for his 1st full time ride since 2018
European F3 champion & Italian F4 runner up Gianluca Petecof has joined Campos

Left
Mick Schumacher had to Leave because F2 doesnt allow champions to carry on & also he has joined Haas
2020 runner-up Callum Ilott, left the championship to become a test-driver for Ferrari.
3rd in 2020 Yuki Tsunoda has left to join Alpha Tauri
Nikita Mazapin has left to join Haas
Luca Ghiotto left F2 to go to DTM
Sean Gelael has left to join WEC in LMP2
Artem Markelov, who drove for HWA Racelab in 2020,
Pedro Piquet vacated his seat at Charouz & left F2 after a single year
Giuliano Alesi has also left for similar reasons & to compete in Japanese F3

changing teams
Felipe Drugovich, left Carlin to join UNI-Virtuosi.
Dan Ticktum has left Dams to join Carlin
Marcus Armstrong has left ART to join DAMS
Roy Nissany moved from Trident to DAMS

temp.png

also if i had to take a guess at title winners i would say your main challengers are Robert Shwartzman Guanyu Zhou & Oscar Piastri, although i did predict the same 1st 2 in 2020 that went well but then i predict oscar piastri to win F3. but there are so many outsiders who can be fantastic, Ticktum, Daruvala, Lundgaard, Armstrong & Vips.

1 can guarantee wont will inherit the crown of rangunathan & Geleal as the mobile chicane. Alessio Deledda never finished higher than 20th last season was 34th in the championship & in his 2 F3 seasons his highest finish was 16th but then only 19 finished

if your fancying any more races, around the principality this weekend this the schedule, including some nice racing on friday

temp.png

might have the 1st person to DNQ in F2/GP2 race for 12 years. i thought that Deledda could be dreadful

1 thing i can guarantee will inherit the crown of Raghunathan & Geleal as the mobile chicane. Alessio Deledda has never finished higher than 20th last season was 34th in the championship & in his 2 F3 seasons his highest finish was 16th but then only 19 finished

even worse he was 1.2 seconds slower than considered worst F2/GP2 driver in its history in 2019. he needs chucking out just for that

Mahaveer Raghunathan - 1:26.522
Alessio Deledda - 1:27.744

I have to say that Robert Schwartzman's penalty today was utterly ridiculous. 5 second penalty for crossing the white line (which all the F1 drivers do) at the start.

No mention of the fact that Juri Vips did exactly the same thing, but received no penalty. Similarly, Vips went off the track at the safety car restart at Alboreto the Parabolica to prevent an overtake...

If this is the standard of stewarding in F2, I really worry about the F1 race!

interesting for the feeder series the unpopular 3 races per weekend has been quietly dropped. its never worked it was far too complicted & with reverse grids it never worked & was highly confusing for Fans never mind neutrals. why is the person that won the pole in day on friday in 10th for race 1.

but you have to try these things. so we are going from 8 races to 14

Last edited:
The title could be won today at 2.15pm, as Oscar Piastri has 47pt lead over his team mate Shwartzmann & a 57pt lead over the person who beat him to the last Seat on F1 grid Guanyu Zhou.

so if Piastri wins from pole today thats Zhou out of contention, Shwartzmann who starts 2nd
(neither fastest lap) Piastri wins Shwartzmann needs 6th
(Piastri fastest lap) Piastri wins Shwartzmann needs 5th
(Shwartzmann fastest lap) Piastri wins Shwartzmann needs 7th

But realistically if Shwartzmann doesnt finish on the podium its effectively all over because it would be clinched on friday afternoon. if Shwartzmann didnt take pole

also if i had to take a guess at title winners i would say your main challengers are Robert Shwartzman Guanyu Zhou & Oscar Piastri, although i did predict the same 1st 2 in 2020 that went well but then i predict oscar piastri to win F3. but there are so many outsiders who can be fantastic, Ticktum, Daruvala, Lundgaard, Armstrong & Vips.
i just want to pat myself on the back, the 3 F2 drivers i picked pre season are the current top 3 in the championship & 8 drivers i picked out 6 of them are in the top 7. so a blind dog will find a bone LOL

Last edited:
the F2 shouldve started at 2.15 & because of track repairs & that red flag it will restart at 3.45, feature race hasnt been abandoned. now a 20min + 1 lap "sprint" half pts race with a pitstop

because of half points Oscar Piastri cant win the title today

I'm glad they're going for a rolling start... If all of the single seat races so far have had accidents at the start, I hate to think what the F1 race is going to be like...

I also, wouldn't want to be Bottas at the start, given all the fluids that were down right in front of the 2nd place slot.

so just the 6 safety cars 2 red flags & a VSC. in the 3 F2 races but we knew this circuit was going to bring carnage. it certainly done that. apparently both are ok. but enzo had a 72g impact on the legs, thats the worry at any circuit is that someone stalls on the grid. i havent seen madness like this since baku 2016. when F2 drivers cheering as matushita crashed out

The Artist..... i think It would be Piastri, Shwartzmann, Boshung, Zhou, drugovich top 5. which means Zhou title hopes are over as 64pts behind with 65pts left. Shwartzmann would be 51pts behind

so with the reverse grids, Piastri should have it sorted in 1dtsprint race

Last edited:
have a yet another outstanding pole position for oscar piastri equaling Charles leclerc of 5 consecutive pole positions which is even more impressive when consider 2021 has 8 rounds compared to the usual 12. he hasnt been beaten in qualifying since start of june, same weekend Perez won his only GP for Red bull. & bar his 1st ever F2 race following promotion from F3. he hasnt qualified outside of the top 3 all season

the title i think even with retirement will sorted tomorrow, problem for Uk Fans is it starts at 8.10am. so i will be recording it. but with piastri pole it makes the permutations so much easier. as it is a 2 horse race as zhou is out of the running. & simple fact is if Piastri finishes 5th nothing else matters

Shwartzmann (7th)-- Piastri (10th)
1st + FL ---------- 5th
1st ---------------- 6th or 7th + FL
2nd + FL ----------6th
2nd ----------------8th
3rd + FL -----------8th
3rd or lower ----- Piastri is champ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom