F1: You're in charge

Some people like refueling and some don't. Personally, I like the strategy of starting light and bolting away at the start, hoping to refuel later. I have often thought that Formula 1 could easily allow refueling but only if it's done like NASCAR with one guy and an FIA approved jug (remember that my max 4 mechanics over the wall rule still applies)

marksawatsky I like the idea that someone in the midfield can fuel heavy and try to keep the right pace whilst being economic enough in order to jump the guys in front.

What was said earlier though is true - in F1 (unlike NASCAR) they all play safe and do the same strategy as everyone else. It's a by product of having hardly any privateers teams. None of the of the big names want to risk their rep. Hence my rule around FIA produced car and drafted engines in order to bring more privateers into the sport!

Hmmm, pretty much everything has been said, but I'd change the blue flag rules to be more like sportscars, that would add skill to negotiating traffic.

The flip side is 'B' teams weaving about holding up rivals to the 'A' team, but that's a fairly easy one to fix, deviate from the normal line in a manner that impedes a lapping car and you get black flagged.

I always found it quite entertaining when teams got it wrong and cars ran out of fuel, however the downside of that were the pit lane fuelling incidents, not at all entertaining.
The new look grid line up will make a difference pf course. I'm talking about the introduction of grid boys, of course.

:whistle:

This idea just occurred to me and maybe I'm missing something but hear me out. Liberty wants the cars to be able to follow each other more closely but I think they also don't want to slow the cars down, so how about this?: Change the DRS rules so teams can move any aero elements when following within 1 second of another car and allow this to be used anywhere on track for a certain number of seconds per lap. Imagine what Newey would come up with if he could claw back lost downforce when his car was following another car through a turn.

Why don’t we reverse it. Get rid of DRS and when the trailing car is within the 1 second window, the leading car deploys a parachute that’ll provide enough drag for overtakes.

The German touring car series have introduced new regulations to lower the aerodynamic downforce which is about time, because it was similar to F1 where cars were only following each other.
The series is on the brink of folding anyhow with Mercedes leaving at the end of the season which leaves only Audi and BMW.

It was, but it’s not just Mercedes leaving, it’s also that viewing numbers have dropped dramatically. Ten years ago, on average 2 million people watched it, 5 years ago it was 1.3, last season it was at 0.8 with the highest race coming in at 1.1.

Motorsport is falling on its backside in almost every class and division. It's too expensive, badly run, poorly advertised and promoted and on the whole passes most people by.

Back
Top Bottom