F1 Prediction League

brightlampshade threw down the gauntlet to Muzz606 and Not606 about a 3-way competition between the three forums using the zDKF1 forum, and the Muzz606 lot are up for it.

But, as well as doing the zDKF1 comp last year I also ran a competition on Muzz606 last year that separated the men from the boys in competing for who was the best predictor of F1 results - and unlike the F1 WDC it went to the wire.
If there's enough interest I'll run it here as well, and we can see who's got petrol in their veins rather than diesel!

Basically you have to predict results of races, but with a few twists!

Entries must be in 30 mins before the start of Quali-1 on the Saturday of each race weekend. (It makes sense to diarise it for 23:59 on the Friday of a race weekend so that you don't miss any because of the different timings across the world. You'll see why in a minute!)

For Each Race you pick the Top 10 finishers and score 5pts for each one finishing in the place you predicted, 3pts for finishing in the place above or below your prediction, and 1pt for each of your other drivers finishing anywhere else in the Top-10.
This will be based on provisional classification, as the chequered flag drops.

You pick the Pole Sitter - 5 points

You pick how many teams get both cars into Qualifying-3 the pole position shootout - 5 points

You pick the driver who gets fastest lap - 5 points

You pick whether there will be a Safety Car deployment, Yes/No - 5 points.

You pick whether it's a wet race (either declared by Race Control or by a team fitting inters or wets in the race) - Yes/No - 5 points.

You pick whether one team gets a 1-2 finish (winner and 2nd place), Yes/No - 5 points

You pick the number of cars finishing the race (crossing the line at the chequered flag) - 10 points for exact, 5 points for ±1 from your prediction.

You pick the last driver classified (whether or not he finishes the race but is classified having completing at least 90% race distance) - 5 pts.

You pick the highest placed driver from the bottom four teams Williams, Caterham, HRT and Marussia whether or not any of them are classified - 5 pts.

There are therefore 100 points available per race.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is also a season-long prediction for bonus points at the end of the season.

Enries for the bonus points must be in by 23:59 GMT on Friday 23rd March, the Malaysia race weekend, so you have the Melbourne result in your pocket before making up your mind for the season outcome.

For these bonuses you will need to predict, over the whole season:

1) Top 5 drivers in the WDC in the positions they finish the season - 100 points for all 5 in the right place, 75 points for 4 in the right place, 50 points for 3 in the right place, 25 points for 2 in the right place.

2) In how many teams will the junior driver beat the senior driver over the season? * 40 points available

3) Who will be the top DRIVER in Tier 1 teams, RedBull, McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes?** 10 points for the winning driver in this tier

4) Which will be the top TEAM in Tier 1, RedBull, McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes?** 10 points for the winning team in this tier

5) Who will be the top DRIVER in Tier 2 teams, Lotus(was Renault), Force India, Sauber, ToroRosso?** 10 points for the winning driver in this tier

6) Which will be the top TEAM in Tier 2, Lotus(was Renault), Force India, Sauber, ToroRosso?** 10 points for the winning team in this tier

7) Who will be the top DRIVER in Tier 3 teams, Williams, Caterham(was Lotus), HRT, Marussia?** 10 points for the winning driver in this tier

8) Which will be the top TEAM in Tier 3, Williams, Caterham(was Lotus), HRT, Marussia?** 10 points for the winning team in this tier.

These season-long predictions will be counted on the Final Classifications published on the F1 website http://www.formula1.com/results/ i.e. after any Steward/FIA adjustments.

This makes 200 bonus points available for the whole season, which hopefully won't be fully decided until the end of the last race.

The arithmetically astute of you will have twigged that the season bonuses are worth two races, so they’re well worth the effort !

Footnotes and General Stuff:
* The junior driver is the one with the higher car number in the same team.
** In the case of driver changes, the driver’s car number will carry on through the season whoever’s driving it.
(In other words if you picked, say, Vettel in car no.1 for your Top Tier choice and Vettel in car #1 gets sacked and replaced by, say, Nick Heidfeld in that car then your seasonal total will be based on what Car #1 did with Vettel and Heidfeld at the wheel, even though you nominated Vettel at the start of the season.)

If you miss a race for any reason then you will get the average score in previous races of all the rest of us.

If you join part-way through the season you will be credited with the average score of all competitors to date.
----------------------------------------------------------

If you're interested in competing whether just among us here, or by seeing how we do against Not606 and Muzz606, then I'll collate and publish the results.

brightlampshade threw down the gauntlet to Muzz606 and Not606 about a 3-way competition between the three forums using the zDKF1 forum, and the Muzz606 lot are up for it.
Since posting that, Pob announced that he is running the interforum league again as he did last year, so I think BLS is going for that instead.

Here's BLS' original thread: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/3-way-league.4638/

And here's the new league thread: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/interforum-league-2012.4650/

To be honest, I have no idea what's going on now we have so many different games going :D

Fantasy F1
Fantasy F1 Teams Championship
Team Mate Prediction
Interforum League
Castrol Prediction Game
etc.

Since posting that, Pob announced that he is running the interforum league again as he did last year, so I think BLS is going for that instead.

Here's BLS' original thread: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/3-way-league.4638/

And here's the new league thread: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/interforum-league-2012.4650/

To be honest, I have no idea what's going on now we have so many different games going :D

Fantasy F1
Fantasy F1 Teams Championship
Team Mate Prediction
Interforum League
Castrol Prediction Game
etc.

I always took it that it was the same comp on the zDKF1 thingy as last year so whether it's pob or BLS makes little difference in the end - both your links wind up in the zDKF1 competition.

The comp I offered above is a bit more wide ranging than the zDKF1 one, requires a bit more skill (or luck!) and it's been tried and tested in previous versions, improving every year, like F1 cars ;)
Plus you can wait until after FP3 before making your race entries, rather than having to do it on a Thurday night even before FP1

If anyone is interested, please post here - you don't have to publish your choices - and we'll see if we want to get going. Thanks roadie!

Back
Top Bottom