DRS

What is your current feeling about the DRS?

• Total voters
I've taken the 50/50 option. Without it in Canada we wouldn't have seen JB able to haul in Vettel as quickly as he did in those last few laps but in other times it's not helped one bit, Schumacher in Canada also springs to mind, where he was doing a great job but was unable to hold back the cars behind him purely due to DRS.

If I could make any changes at all (and I think it's sorry to say but DRS is here for a long while now) is that I would have a limit on DRS operation rather than the 1 second gap rule. There could still be DRS dead zones for safety reasons where the use of DRS would be electronically prevented but at least by limiting the number of operations, the car ahead could use it to prevent a pass as well as the car behind using it to create an opportunity. The time to use DRS becomes part of the race strategy then rather than just when you are one second behind.

If I could make any changes at all (and I think it's sorry to say but DRS is here for a long while now) is that I would have a limit on DRS operation rather than the 1 second gap rule. There could still be DRS dead zones for safety reasons where the use of DRS would be electronically prevented but at least by limiting the number of operations, the car ahead could use it to prevent a pass as well as the car behind using it to create an opportunity. The time to use DRS becomes part of the race strategy then rather than just when you are one second behind.

Agree totally! This is why they should put cat in charge of F1...

Good points CaT, but that's why I preferred the F-duct - it was down to the driver to work out when he could use it, rather than it being limited artificially (which is presumably why the FIA moved so quickly to outlaw it and replace it with DRS - it's easier to see when a flap has moved than when an airflow has been detached). Having DRS "zones" is somehow counter to the art of racing, by limiting the drivers to just one area of the circuit where they can use the tool at their disposal.

Frankly, I despise it. It is far too artificial and is clearly little more than a band-aid. They should, instead, get their aerodynamic house in order, starting with cutting the size of the front wings by at least 50%. The rear wings would then have to be reduced to maintain balance. The amount of "dirty air" would be greatly reduced and passing, without artificial means, would once again be possible. If they insist upon having artificial means, I would prefer that each car start with an FIA-supplied tank of perhaps 5 lbs. of nitrous, with no restrictions on when and where it can be used.

There's clearly no will within the FIA or FOTA to address the fundamental aero characteristics of the cars. If I take that as a given, then DRS has a number of positive features; it has a heritage dating back to the late 1960s and Jim Hall's Chaparrals; it isn't a standard component so teams have to design their own optimal solutions, and most importantly, it works. It's certainly far more effective than the f-duct ever was.

Like many others, I don't like the way it systematically penalises the defending driver, but this is not an insurmountable problem. Indeed I think c_a_t's suggestion has a lot of merit. Alternatively after using DRS, its use could then be restricted for a fixed period - 30 seconds, skip a lap, or whatever, thus giving an advantage to the tactically astute driver (whether he be attacking or defending).

I like DRS!

For years, it has been impossible for a car to get close enough to even think about overtaking. Anyone remember all those processions we used to sit through? The only chance of an order change was a problem pit stop, because back when we had refuelling everyone knew when you were going to stop, so they would just wait. B O R I N G...

F Duct was cool tech but a bit dangerous and in the end it was on all cars and could be used everywhere on the track, so the result was zero sum.

DRS makes up for the fact that your wings stop working within 1 sec of the car in front. Yes a bit artificial, but so is the wake of some of these cars which is deliverately designed to screw up drivers behind. You cannot get close enough to slipstream :)

The only issues I have seen have been in the sporting regulations. Either at the wrong place in the circuit, too long, too short or with detection zones too far from activation zones. These can be ironed out - it is only year 1, so I voted YES to DRS!

This thing just kills it for me, overtaking is no longer something exciting - it's a click of a button, and an unfair advantage which the other part doesn't have. Just take a look at Turkey as an example. The drivers are usually not even trying to defend, because most times it's impossible. Increase the KERS power instead, and let both drivers have it, so they can force the other guy to use it early etc. Rebuild the cars so they can race close to each other without problems, if needed.

It is much harder for smaller teams to defend, as if it isn't bad enough for them to achieve a great result since reliability has been it's best since the sport started. We saw Sutil in Singapore not even fight Hamilton as he knew Hamilton was going to get by, what's worse, he slowed down and let him through a slow corner, I have seen this a fair lot times, this is just the most recent example since the DRS spot was in an ok-ish position in Suzuka. A slower car can no longer defend in my eyes, he is disadvantaged, he may have KERS to help him keep ahead, but the driver behind has that tool aswell. Also in qualifying it is sort of mixing up the grid, and rules for DRS in qualifying are pretty much retarded. "Use it anywhere you like in practice in qualifying, but in the race you are only allowed it in one particular zone".

It has ruined several races for this season, I have not been excited for many of the races, apart from Suzuka, Monza, Silverstone, Monaco, and Spain (Catalunya), what do they all have in common? DRS wasn't very much involved.

DRS is definitely absurd.

Tyres are better, in that, they are lot less absurd, but still absurd. Tyres that last for only 9 laps? Fastest lap is like 7 s slower than pole lap? I can accept everything if tyres don't fall off the cliff suddenly. They should allow the drivers to go extra bit at the expense of slower pace. Here tyres just go plain kaput beyond a certain point. But I think it is mostly down to the new tyre manufacturer. They are new and their tyres are not that developed yet. Still I hope Pirelli stop the BS with their press releases, instead of accepting and moving on.

My preferred way of achieving 'real' overtaking would be to re-introduce the art of outbraking, made possible by extending braking distances. Either by reduction in braking force via changing the materials/size of brake discs and pads, or by an overall downforce reduction, or a combination of both. The latter would reduce 'dirty wake' as siffert_fan mentions, which would allow the chasing driver to slipstream more easily, getting them into a position to outbrake the driver in front. Then the DRS would be superfluous.

I still feel that people are over-reacting to DRS. In my opinion it is just another tool in the aero package and it does allow cars to compensate for turbulent air from the car ahead.

If I had my way I would allow free use by all anywhere on the circuit, as in qualifying, but I do see great merit in galahad's proposal.

On the evidence of the first year it has largely been successful and we have seen better racing and a welcome move away from passing in the pits. I accept it hasn't been as successful on some tracks compared to others but then this is a learning year. I could as easily argue that the change in tyre regs have also had mixed results when comparing one track to another.

Yes, like Chad and many others who remember the 'golden years' up to the 1980's; it would be great to reduce aero reliance and move back towards braking distances and increased reliance on mechanical grip. The problem is there is no motivation from the FIA or the teams for this.

DRS hasn't failed and there is scope for improvement.

This season, irrespective of Red Bull's dominance, has been a great season for racing.

I've taken the 50/50 option. Without it in Canada we wouldn't have seen JB able to haul in Vettel as quickly as he did in those last few laps but in other times it's not helped one bit, Schumacher in Canada also springs to mind, where he was doing a great job but was unable to hold back the cars behind him purely due to DRS.

i disagree,as it was vettels tyres being badly worn that allowed button to catch him more than drs.
i personally think tyre durability is much more of a problem than drs.
i dont think tyre preservation and racing should exist in the same sport,because it makes overtaking far too easy.i think they should atleast have seperate tyres for quali.

It has ruined several races for this season, I have not been excited for many of the races, apart from Suzuka, Monza, Silverstone, Monaco, and Spain (Catalunya), what do they all have in common? DRS wasn't very much involved.

Au contraire, Sly. DRS was what made the Spanish GP exciting! Without it, Hamilton would never have got anywhere near as close to Vettel, it'd just be another Barcelona snoozefest!

Au contraire, Sly. DRS was what made the Spanish GP exciting! Without it, Hamilton would never have got anywhere near as close to Vettel, it'd just be another Barcelona snoozefest!

But you could argue it's because Vettel's KERS wasn't working half of the time when Hamilton was chasing him down ;)

Nope, cant agree. Absolutely despise it. It’s the tyres that have made the overtaking, action, variations in speeds etc. DRS does not help the car behind catch the car in front unless that car has already caught the car ahead up to within a second in the first place meaning that car was already faster. All DRS does then is help ensure the fastest cars finish at the front. That added to the reliability the FIA has made with the engine usage limits means its super, super difficult for the lower 3 teams to score points despite now being able to score them as low as 10th. Even Minardi stole the odd point now and again when points only went down to 6th!

What DRS does is allow a slightly slower car to hang onto a slightly faster car if that car is already within and keeps within a second, once that gaps bigger normal service resumes. The odd race where you could argue DRS improved the race, say Spain we could argue it ruined just as many Canada. This season overall then without DRS would have been no worse of. (infact that would have made it even better for me then). Anyone who thinks the DRS has made this season needs to look more closely at the bigger picture, like them or not, it’s the tyres!

My Mrs has no interest in F1 but when I’ve got it on and she’s forced to watch a little and a DRS ‘overtake’ happens or anything where I have to explain DRS and then she asks a question with what should have an obvious answer and I need to say umm no and explain the DRS rules I just find it a farce and a tad embarrassing.

Bin it, its hindsight, but, we didn’t need it.

Back
Top Bottom