DRS and all that jazz

Biggest load of crap I've heard for a long time. Mr Mark Webber if you think it's dangerous get out the sport. The whole sport is dangerous sitting practically next to your own tyres and then making an overtake at 150mph+ literally inches away from a car climbing all over you? And the biggest danger he can think of is a spin? Ridiculous

In the end, though, the problem was that if you overtook someone in the first zone, the chances were you would get re-passed in the second - as I found out in my battle with Jenson Button. It probably would have been better in hindsight to have just one zone.
There's something I don't quite understand about this. Many of the drivers were apparently finding this a problem. Why didn't they just use the first zone to get close, then overtake in the 2nd zone? Seems like a case of bad workmen blaming tools in this particular example.

There's something I don't quite understand about this. Many of the drivers were apparently finding this a problem. Why didn't they just use the first zone to get close, then overtake in the 2nd zone? Seems like a case of bad workmen blaming tools in this particular example.

But DRS is meant to allow those who are close to overtake, they need to be within 1 second as it is. Expecting racing drivers to not overtake when there is an opportunity is wishful thinking. It's what they want to do and also it's what we want them to do.

"Lewis, slow down, it's not time to overtake yet".

Expecting racing drivers to not overtake when there is an opportunity is wishful thinking. It's what they want to do and also it's what we want them to do.
Yes, you're right, the impulsivity of the drivers did cross my mind. But I think we should credit them with at least a certain amount of tactical intelligence - after all they manage to do other stuff like regulating when to use their kers, and when to charge and when to hold back in the race to conserve tyres/fuel. Maybe there's some obvious reason that I'm missing...

Apparantly they didn't realize until quite far in the race that if they overtook on the first DRS zone, they'd be re-overtaken in the 2nd zone. Because later in the race I saw some overtakers who did wait until the 2nd zone to overtake.

Back
Top Bottom