Defunct Series

The series I really miss and used to watch every single race of on eurosport who's coverage of the series was second to none is Champ Car or more correctly CART FedEx which was a breakaway series from the IRL and Indy 500 who's stars were men such as Alex Zanardi, Mark Blundell the Andretti's (Jeff, John, Micheal and Mario), Dario Franchitti, Chip Ganassi the sadly missed Gregory William Moore and many many more great drivers...

A great series and a great shame it no longer exists....
You should take a look at what IRL has become. There has been significant growth and the series is more concentrated on road and street courses now. The ovals are still there but they no longer dominate though they will always be important to the American scene The series is now very close to what CART used to be.
Worth seeing if you can find coverage somewhere. We are lucky in NZ, with Scott Dixon as the current champion we get coverage of the entire season.
Dixon deserves more recognition than he gets. He's the third winningest driver in Indycar History. Only the names Unser and Andretti are ahead of him.

Last edited:
Mephistopheles …… I didn't like the aero packs either. They change them depending on the circuit, different for road and street courses than ovals. You soon learn to ignore them when you realize how close the racing is and to be honest, especially on the ovals, they are saving lives by preventing interlocking wheels. Most of the circuits they race on wouldn't get a pass mark from F1 so if it means keeping drivers alive I'll cut them a little slack. Scotty's a huge star in the States and we'd like to see him live through to sports car racing then retire with his wife and daughters in one piece. He's married to Emma Davies who was the Welsh and British 800 metres champion in 2008. You've got to love Dixons humor. When he won the 2013 title the big screen switched to show Emma running to the Podium, shoes in hand. Dixon was being interviewed, looked up at the screen with huge grin and said here comes Emma, running, she's good at that. LOL

Last edited:
I think this qualifies DTM/ ITC - I remember the confusion over how the same cars were racing for two championships and then Bernie decided to create the ITCC and raced in places where the cars had no marketable and the series was canned after 1 season due to alfa and Open pulling out

I can't 'miss' a lot because I'm not old enough, but I would've loved to have seen the ATCC (before it became Ford vs Holden, back in the Group A days or even before). All the cars were so different, it would've made for some exciting racing (although Nissan ruined it for everybody with the GTR...)

I used to like the ETCC - Alfa vs BMW (before WTCC and all those nasty SEAT oil-burners).

Eurosport on Sundays used to be godly - I could cheerfully spend an entire day watching GT racing, ETCC, CART, ALMS, MotoGP, WSB. Aah - to be a bachelor again! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom