Technical Crash or Bust.

F1Yorkshire

Avatar for sale to the highest bidder
Contributor
A few comments in the Lewis v Nico head to head thread has inspired me to keep track on which retirements this season are due to mechanical or accidental reasons.

I've knocked up a quick chart listing if retirements were down to mechanical or accidental reasons. If it was mechanical then I have listed the reasons for the break down.

F1 retirements 2014 - HU.JPG

Table correct up to and including the Hungarian Grand Prix. Data from Formula1.com
*Ricciardo DSQ from 1 event due to fuel flow irregularity.

A few interesting points stand out so far, Mercedes only have two engine related retirements and Ferrari 3 so far compared to Renaults 14!

Maldonado shouldn't really be getting the crash kid treatment although to be fair his car tends to break down long before he gets the chance to make contact with someone.

I'll update this table after each race and as always comments are welcome.

Thanks to Incubus, Bushi & teabagyokel for the inspiration for the thread.

Last edited:
Great info' F1Yorkshire / One thing to note though is that sometimes the retirements through technical failure are related to accidents. Also there's the little matter of classification. Maldonado's adventure today is an example as he was classified 17th and the exhaust failure may have been related to his bumpy landing. Probably best not to be so picky though!

Last edited:
I'm going to go by the official FIA reasons as listed on Formula1.com. They have listed accident damage as a reason for retirement even when the driver didn't retire at the time of the accident.

This table is proving though that the Renault units are just not up to scratch compared to the other two suppliers.

That's great work F1Yorkshire !

One thing I do notice is that while there are comparatively few retirements in the Merc-powered cars, a high percentage of them seems to involve transmission/clutch-related failures.
Does that suggest the Merc engine has so much torque that transmission components have difficulty coping?

Good work F1Yorkshire but you have missed one out, and that is Ricciardo DSQ due to a mechanical failure of the seal on the fuel flow sensor caused by the corrosive nature of the fuel Renault used and the arrogance of RedBull.

Is a DSQ a retirement though? The car finished the race. I can only really go by the Formula1.com results.

Good work F1Yorkshire but you have missed one out, and that is Ricciardo DSQ due to a mechanical failure of the seal on the fuel flow sensor caused by the corrosive nature of the fuel Renault used and the arrogance of RedBull.

It would only be tricky if he didn't complete all the laps .... the seal they put in didn't cause the DSQ .. .their arguments about it did ...

Table updated for Germany.

Two more engine related retirements for Renault powered cars. Yet another accident for Massa and the other DNF is Sutil. During the race the reason for Sutil's spin was assumed to be a throttle issue but according to Formula1.com it was classed as a spin that put him out so I have classed it as an accident.

Up till now it seems Ferrari is the most reliable. The have one lesser team to provide but no mechanical issues for 2/3 teams.

Interesting that Ricciardo is the only one of the Renault drivers who didn't had a mechanical issue this season.

Lots of crashes this week including Hulkenburgs 1st DNF

Yet again the Mercedes seems to be the more reliable power system, well thats in the race at least.

Can't seem to edit the 1st post anymore so if one of the friendly mods would like to update it with this table it would be nice!

F1 retirements 2014 - BE.JPG

Table correct up to and including the Belgian Grand Prix. Data from Formula1.com
*Lotterer replaced Kobayashi for 1 race.

This is a great thread. However I would like to see a column of mechanical which impeded race. Seems Vettel and Hamilton had a lot of that.

I think Maldonado's record are due to the fact he bins the car in practice which means the team are always frantically trying to repair it which increases the chances of mechanical failure from wear and tear that were not picked up properly and risk of errors in not re-assembling the car

he also uses his car as a bit of a battering ram especially against Gutierrez

Qualifying and practice sessions missed as a result of accidents and mechanical failures would also be interesting to see, although those stats are harder to come by.

F1 retirements 2014 - IT.JPG

Table correct up to and including the Belgian Grand Prix. Data from Formula1.com

Alonso finally succumbs to a DNF. The Ferrari package is still one of the most reliable though.

F1 retirements 2014 - SI.JPG

Table correct up to and including the Singapore Grand Prix. Data from Formula1.com

Gutierrez keeps his 50% finishing rate going but Maldonado actually got the car home which I think surprised everyone.

Back
Top Bottom