Change the qualifying rules on tyre usage

downforce

Race Winner
Who would like to see Pirelli give each of the ten drivers in the last qualifying session an extra set of option tyres that can only be used in the last 4 minutes?

The drivers would still start on the fastest time tyre and would return a set of the other option tyres thay have.

I'd be happier if they just let the teams use the tyres they want rather than forcing them to use both types...
By all means limit the amount of tyres but...
... don't confuse matters even more by letting some teams have more.

We should be simplifying the rules rather than making them even more confusing :givemestrength:

I personally think the two tyre usage rule as it stands does not help, Pirelli should bring three or four compounds to a track and the teams selects three of those compounds for the race, Qualifing as it stands does nothing for me at the moment either, I think they should revert back to twelve laps during the qualifing hour, drivers should draw lots to decide who goes out first, this ensures the track is not empty for the first part of qualifing, aggrigate times accross all twelve laps should count with the best three laps out of twelve aggregated to determine the grid standings.

I think they should revert back to twelve laps during the qualifing hour.

I may be missing something but when was that ever a part of F1 qualifying? Wasn't it a maximum of 12 laps rather than a minimum?

I like the idea of aggregated lap times - perhaps stick with the current knock out system but each driver must complete 3 laps in each session and then they are averaged. This would mean the drivers would probably end up using the harder compounds for qualifying (perhaps).

Q tyres - that's green innit. Although tyres which last between 10 and 15 laps is hardly going to save the planet.

If Pirelli could go along to a circuit with the harder tyres able to last twice as long as the softs and at the same time make them quick enough to give them the same time over 1 session as the softs are over 2 (including the pit stop time) then qualifying could become important again.

Also there is the point about wet weekends, if we get one which is totally wet there could be retirements in the race due to all the wet weather tyres having been used up. Or teams just not going out on the Friday.

I may be missing something but when was that ever a part of F1 qualifying? Wasn't it a maximum of 12 laps rather than a minimum?

I like the idea of aggregated lap times - perhaps stick with the current knock out system but each driver must complete 3 laps in each session and then they are averaged. This would mean the drivers would probably end up using the harder compounds for qualifying (perhaps).

Q tyres - that's green innit. Although tyres which last between 10 and 15 laps is hardly going to save the planet.
I think you are correct about a maximum of 12 laps, I can't remember the years, Perhaps 1996 - 2001, the teams used to split the allowable 12 laps into sessions during the time of one hour, can't actually remember fully what happened back then.

Why not change the rules on DRS too? It makes no sense to me that the FIA are pushing for qualifying to me more similar to the race (e.g. engine mappings) but DRS can be used anywhere on the circuit in quali rather than just the standard zone. Makes no sense to me. Either allow it in the standard zone or disable it for quali.

Why not give the teams six sets fo tyres for Quali and 6 sets for the race? no mixing or swapping - simple as.

Why not give the teams six sets fo tyres for Quali and 6 sets for the race? no mixing or swapping - simple as.
Sounds interesting but six sets of tyres would be excessive, Perhaps it would be better to allocate a set of supersoft quali tyres for those drivers that achieve Q3, these tyres must of course be used in Q3 with no driver sitting out the session. Obviously this idea would negate the stupid rule currently in place, ie, starting on the set of tyres you achieved your fastest lap on.

Sounds interesting but six sets of tyres would be excessive.

I said six so they had 3 sets of each compound and chose whichever they like for each session. Obviously all the tyres, used or otherwise, would be collected up at the end of Q3 and made into erasers for under privilleged school kids around the world.

After this weekend's change that was not, to be changed to something else, then withdrawn, then back to the proposed change of ban to off throttle with 10 - 20% blowing, then reverting back to Valencia's change after this race, if the teams agree.

God I am confused!

I think it would be easy to change the tyre rule before the race starts tomorrow and have time to revert the change.

Simple for qualifying, in Q3 make it mandatory for them to do @ least 3 laps in the session, or else back of the grid.....simples

Simple for qualifying, in Q3 make it mandatory for them to do @ least 3 laps in the session, or else back of the grid.....simples

Out lap, qualie lap and in lap or 3 flying laps?

Out lap, qualie lap and in lap or 3 flying laps?
Out, Qualify minimum 1 lap, in lap, so they are least don;t take the advantage of knowing they'll be 9th or 10th & saving a set of tyres. Though going for as many tyres are available would be better....but the tree huggers would have a word....

Back
Top Bottom