Canada Highlight Thread

KekeTheKing

Banned
Supporter
Hey guys, I thought some of you might want to see some old Canadian GP highlights from the past. Is there a better way to kill some time before Friday?

Here's a highlight package that I put together from the 1985 race.

This is BBC's highlight package from the exciting 1986 race

How about the thrilling Quali session from 97, relive it right now. (not my edit)

And here's the incredible conclusion to the 1997 GP.

PS - More to come if people like this

Wonderful Keke, more please.

I noticed in the '86 video that the drivers actually went round the corners - when did the practice of corner-cutting/kerb-riding become standard in a GP?

And as for Dennis - why didn't he just say DC dropped it - so much more honest.

And as for Dennis - why didn't he just DC dropped it - so much more honest.

Come on Jen - you know thats never been Mr Dennis's style!

Brilliant stuff - really enjoyed watching them. Was it 1995 that Alesi won in Canada? if so any chance you have that one up your sleeve Keke?

Yeah, I know - but it was the snidey intonation in the voice that was the dead give-away. I suppose it is quite difficult to say you don't rate one of your drivers on camera.

I'll shut up now - otherwise the random thread might call

Jenov, as far as your earlier point is concerned I don't that drivers are riding the kerbs anymore today that in 1986, but Montreal's kerbs are not the kind you'd want to ride if you value your suspension. If you look at a video of the italian GP at Monza for example, where the kerbs have a far less acute angle and thus more forgiving you will see that drivers there rode the kerbs in 1986 just as much as they do today, if not more so.

Following on from that, I don't think Montreal's kerbs are anything like as severe today as they were then, either. Same goes for most circuits, indeed.

Maybe it's to do with safety considerations, we have all seen, especially in the eighties, cars actually taking to the air after missing their braking points and arriving on kerbs at an "unhealthy" angle, the way Berger did at Hockenheim in 1989? (Although I think something gave way on his car shortly before)

Don't the FIA stipulate certain maximum gradients of kerbs now? I'm sure they have a particular recommended spec at the very least.

It's part of the trend of F1 dictating to circuit owners, rather than racing on the track 'as is'. Or in other words, getting on with it.

Brilliant stuff - really enjoyed watching them. Was it 1995 that Alesi won in Canada? if so any chance you have that one up your sleeve Keke?

Yeah Alesi won in 1995, and I think I remember him saying that he had a hard time seeing on the cool down lap, because he was crying all the way.

Great videos.......Keke!

Yeah Alesi won in 1995, and I think I remember him saying that he had a hard time seeing on the cool down lap, because he was crying all the way.

Great videos.......Keke!

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes I remember the interview he was saying that in, and it's funny you should say that because i remember thinking at the time "that mindset is exactly what's preventing his udeniably considerable natural talent from being fulfilled with the one thing that counts: victories and titles..."

Keke, any chance of any footage of the Canadian GP in Mosport? I don't actually remember ever seeing any before? (other than photographs)

Maybe Keke the great actually IS Keke Rosberg who's providing us with all this footage because he's still got a grudge with FOTA because in their previous FOCA incarnation they kept telling him he couldn't smoke in the pit-lane (which he splendidly ignored most of the time)?

Keke, any chance of any footage of the Canadian GP in Mosport?

There doesn't seem to be much video out there from the Pre-Montreal days of the Canadian GP. All the Mosport footage I have is in Season Review videos. Here's a short clip from the 1973 review. Seemed like a smoothly run GP. :rolleyes:

I found this clip on YouTube from the 1977 race. It gives you some decent views of the circuit.

Here is the opening portion of the 1994 Canadian GP. Everyone remembers the awful temporary chicane at Eau Rouge in 94, but the one they put in at Gilles Villeneuve was nearly as bad. The racing was still good at the island circuit though.

PS - Not sure why there are a couple seconds missing at the start, that's the way I got it.

And here is the conclusion.

I forgot this was even posted, so I might as well put it here. The opening stint of Canada 93. Similar situation in F1 then as today. The FIA had just told the teams that their cars were illegal, the one that was utilizing that system the best was dominant, and yet they raced on. This was also Senna's worst starting position since Austria 86.

Here's the conclusion as well.

Back
Top Bottom