Can anyone advise on a suitable Go Kart for 4 - 7 year olds?

jez101

Bookies drive nice cars because of people like me
Contributor
I took my sons go karting on our recent holiday and discovered that my 4 year old in particular seems to have a real aptitude for it. I have since found that there are only a very small number of places in the UK where kids under 7 can drive, but fortunately one of them is only half an hour away from where we live (Rye House).

I have yet to speak to anyone there (although we have exchanged voicemails), but it would be great if anyone here on CTA can help me with some of the jargon I would need to understand and some of the basics of very junior karting?

I have found Cadet Karts on ebay, but also references to Bambino or Mini Karts. I have also read a few articles I found on Google, and have tried to contact a few people but it would be great if anyone here has any advice that they could give? Clearly, I don't want to shell out a huge amount and then find that the kids are just going through a phase, but similarly, I do want to give them every opportunity (as would every parent :) !)

You need to work with the club jez. There's lots of carts and specs and you generally need to get something in line with what they use to actually compete in the club.

You need to work with the club jez. There's lots of carts and specs and you generally need to get something in line with what they use to actually compete in the club.
Cheers Grizzly.

I have managed to speak to the chap there now and he was very helpful. The only snag is that they do not have any Bambino Karts we could rent or try before we have to buy. So it's either shell out £1,000 plus, or wait another 10 months until he is five...:unsure:

You can sell it on to someone next year... if its still in spec that is... :rolleyes:

I personally would wait, get him in some karts on open days to make sure he's going to enjoy it, and not decide he's had enough after a few weeks and £2-3k, and get set up for next year.

Send Sportsman a pm, he has a fair bit of experience in this.

My karting experience is limited to the last couple of years with uni, and I've never owned my own, but I would echo Grizzly's comments. I would say any sort of experience is worthwhile so don't discount indoor karting as a way to see whether he really likes it or not. I must admit I don't know whether any indoor places do cater for 'bambinos'. Also, from bits of research and magazines etc. I've looked at in the past it all looks a bit daunting with a lot of different series etc. so a years worth of planning probably would be worthwhile.

I'm not sure where abouts you're coming from but Whilton Mill and Buckmore Park may be worth a look, and both seem to offer some sort of Bambino school. Personally Whilton Mill is my favourite out of the tracks I've driven, but more people probably rate Buckmore as the best in the country. I prefer both to the Rye House circuit (which is still fun), although Rye House and Buckmore do have much better facilities than the majority of tracks.

Back
Top Bottom