British GP Overtake of the Weekend

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
I was just watching keke's Silverstone OT videos and it got me thinking if this would be a possibility?

Now, I know it would probably need to be well after the GPs themselves because many of us would need to rely on Keke's highlights to make judgement, but with the huge amount of passing this year, I thought there might be a place for this.

Now I am admittedly a McLaren fan, but there were two battles that really stood out for me. They were of course: Buttons pass on Massa and Hamilton & Massa's battle in the closing stages. They were my highlights of the GP I think. Supreme driving from all parties i thought.

Just a thought.:)

Who's up for it? and is it even a possibility Brogan?

I think this is a good idea.

For me the best overtake of the weekend was Hamilton on slicks overtaking Alonso up the inside on the wet part of the track. I was closing my eyes expecting an accident the moment he touched the brakes but somehow he managed to slow the car down. Later in the race, when the track had dried a bit more, other drivers had the opportunity to try the same move but backed out - e.g. Vettel on Hamilton and Webber on Vettel from memory.

Button's move on Massa was also good, as was Kobayshi coming back at Maldonado, but for me that move by Lewis is my personal favourite.

What a couple of laps they were! I'd barely settled down from Button's overtake, then Hamilton was at it. Probably just go for Button's.

Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to have a vote on which of the, however few, quality overtakes are the best to make this a regular theme

I think that was a great overtake by Lewis and is def up there as one of the passes of the weekend but loses points for me for using the DRS. So my vote goes to Button for hanging on in there around the outside of Massa to get the inside line even when Massa gave him a little bit of a nudge. Awesome stuff.

Think I said on the driver of the weekend thread - all the top drivers were very well behaved this weekend and we had a lot of clean dicing between them - brilliant stuff.

I think that was a great overtake by Lewis and is def up there as one of the passes of the weekend but loses points for me for using the DRS.

Wasn't it well outside the DRS zone, though? It was going into Copse wasn't it?

Anyway, I think we'd need to have a poll and perhaps a best overtakes video for it - I think it would be a success though ;)

He did use a tad of DRS I think I remember from the Keke's onboard video. However, I've been karting in the wet on slick tyres and even at those speeds there is just no grip whatsoever, especially on the racing line, which is why his move stands out for me. With spray streaming off his tyres at ~150mph? to hit the brakes and make the corner shows immense talent, although perhaps it is not so obviously exciting as Button's move.

I think that was a great overtake by Lewis and is def up there as one of the passes of the weekend but loses points for me for using the DRS.

Coulthard in his commentary incorrectly stated that Hamilton activated his DRS. Since that was through the old start/finish straight (well curve!) that overtake was not in the DRS zone as opposed to his pass on Massa when he then ran off the track enabling Massa to pass regaining his position. In Keke's video you can see Hamilton's DRS is active as he runs out of track trying to brake for the left hander. So I would give him your points back on that one!

Without a doubt I would give it to Button for his pass that started around the outside of Stowe and finished at Vale. That might even qualify for "Overtake of the Year" at this point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, and the best thing about it was it was exactly what a tough but fair attacking move should be like. Both drivers refused to be intimidated, ran three or four corners side by side not giving an inch, yet both remained fair throughout and gave each other room.
Brilliant driving from both drivers.

I think that was a great overtake by Lewis and is def up there as one of the passes of the weekend but loses points for me for using the DRS. So my vote goes to Button for hanging on in there around the outside of Massa to get the inside line even when Massa gave him a little bit of a nudge. Awesome stuff.

Think I said on the driver of the weekend thread - all the top drivers were very well behaved this weekend and we had a lot of clean dicing between them - brilliant stuff.

If I remember rightly it wasn't in the DRS zone. He took Alonso into Copse and the DRS zone was the Wellington Straight. Apparently Hamilton only overtook one person in the DRS zone all day, and was only overtaken by Webber in that zone too. Overtake of the weekend? Close one between Button's move on Massa, Hamilton's move on Alonso, and The move Kobayashi pulled on someone into the club chicane. He was overtaken on the approach and just launched it back up the inside, even though his car was suffering badly at that point. I think Button's move looked the best, but I reckon Hamilton's was the best from a purist point of view. All fantastic moves though :)

Pleased people like the idea. Since we've basically already started nominating, lets make this the British GP Overtake of the weekend thread.

So, take your nominations from the provisional figures. Click here to watch Keke's overtaking video's for a refresher...

Provisional Overtaking Results (30)

Lap 2
Massa on Button - P4
Hamilton on Button - P5

Lap 3
Trulli on Liuzzi - P20

Lap 4
Sutil on Maldonado - P10

Lap 5
Buemi on Alguersuari - P16

Lap 6
Rosberg on Maldonado - P11
Perez on Maldonado - P12
Buemi on Petrov - P15
Alguersuari on Petrov - P16

Lap 8
Alguersuari on Buemi - P15

Lap 11
Schumacher on Heidfeld - P17

Lap 12
Hamilton on Massa - P4
Schumacher on Kobayashi - P12
Heidfeld on Maldonado - P14

Lap 14
Button on Massa - P5

Lap 15
Hamilton on Alonso - P3

Lap 19
Heidfeld on Kobayashi - P11
Alguersuari on Kobayashi - P12
d' Ambrosio on Liuzzi - P20

Lap 20
Maldonado on Kobayashi - P13
Kobayashi on Maldonado - P13
Buemi on Maldonado - P14

Lap 22
Schumacher on Petrov - P15

Lap 24
Alonso on Hamilton - P3

Lap 33
Schumacher on Alguersuari - P12

Lap 39
Vettel on Massa - P4

Lap 40
Hamilton on Massa - P4

Lap 46
Webber on Hamilton - P3

Lap 52
Massa on Hamilton - P4
Hamilton on Massa - P4

For ease, just copy/paste the line from Keke's post for the nomination, and we'll do a poll of all the nominated moves.

Lets give it until Monday 18th for nominations and then we'll have a few days before Germany to get some votes in...

Here's the nominations so far:

Lap 14
Button on Massa - P5

Lap 15
Hamilton on Alonso - P3

Lap 20

Lap 52
Massa on Hamilton - P4 \\
Hamilton on Massa - P4 // i counted this as one battle, with LH the ultimate winner.

Feel free to add any other nominations before close of play Monday.

Cheers:cheers:

Pleased people like the idea. Since we've basically already started nominating, lets make this the British GP Overtake of the weekend thread.

So, take your nominations from the provisional figures. Click here to watch Keke's overtaking video's for a refresher...

For ease, just copy/paste the line from Keke's post for the nomination, and we'll do a poll of all the nominated moves.

Lets give it until Monday 18th for nominations and then we'll have a few days before Germany to get some votes in...

Lap 14
Button on Massa - P5

Lap 15
Hamilton on Alonso - P3

Lap 20

Lap 52
Hamilton on Massa - P4 // i counted this as one battle, with LH the ultimate winner.

This pass/battle for fourth, was a great exciting ending to the BGP

Lap 14
Button on Massa - P5

Lap 15
Hamilton on Alonso - P3

Lap 20

Lap 52

Lap 52
Great pass/battle...... last minute excitement at the end of the race....typical Lewis....never gives up.

Back
Top Bottom