British F3 2011

eaurouge94

Rookie
Hi all,

I've not been on here long and seeing as nobody has started an article on the British F3 season, I figured I'd start one.

The season started last weekend at Monza, and has 10 rounds, with three more races outside of Britain at the Nurburgring, Paul Ricard and Spa. Brazilian Felipe Nasr took two of the three victories at Monza, to put him in early command of the championship in his second year in the formula.

Before Monza, it had seemed that this season would once more be a Carlin walkover as they had dominated pre-season testing. Dane Kevin Magnussen, son of some-time F1 driver Jan, Rupert Svendson-Cook and Carlos Huertas led the way for Carlin throughout testing and it appeared as if Carlin had the upper hand once more.

However, at Monza, Fortec's William Buller took pole for races one and three showing that it may not be a year of Carlin dominance after all. Furthermore, the competitiveness of the title fight seems to have been aided by the fact that Red Bull haven't put one of their junior drivers into one of the Carlin seats, to then dominate the championship, as with Daniel Ricciardo in 2009, and Jean-Eric Vergne in 2010.

This season has all the hallmarks of a great, with many drivers capable of fighting at the front. Carlin's Kevin Magnussen, who has the backing of McLaren, Carlos Huertas, double Monza winner Felipe Nasr, Jazeman Jaafar and Rupert Svendson-Cook all seem to have good potential. Throw Fortec's Lucas Foresti and William Buller into the fray, and there is a potentially awesome title battle in prospect.

This season has the potential to be as close and as exciting as in 2008, where a four-way title battle between Jaime Alguersuari, Sergio Perez, Brendon Hartley and Oliver Turvey went to the wire. Two of those drivers are now in Formula 1, and Oliver Turvey has been mixing it with the best in GP2. It'll be interesting to see whether this year's drivers can match this.

Thank you for this excellent précis. As a follower of many forms of motorsport it's difficult to fit it all in, please keep up the good work.

I posted elsewhere about trying to make time to watch all the feeder series, but it's something I have less and less of these days, unfortunately :(

Is this being shown on any of the free to air channels?

I don't live in the UK anymore so I'm not sure whether there Cannel Four still shows highlights on Sunday mornings. Otherwise, there's always live streams online...

It's on Channel 4 UK this coming Saturday, April 23rd, at 7:30am (a 25 minute highlights show from Monza). The next race, at Oulton Park, also takes place on Saturday.
Thanks for confirming that Chad.

I knew they had it last year, because you can watch it on YouTube under 'Shows', Channel 4 has it's own section there. Presumably they will all be available online, similar to the Formula Ford shows which are placed under the same banner of F3.

Round 2 took place at Oulton Park this weekend with wins for Lucas Foresi, Riki Christodoulou and Felipe Nasr,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90929
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90936
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90943

So after 6 races, Felipe Nasr leads the championship from Lucas Foresti and Jazeman Jaafar. Have to say that I'm disappointed with Kevin Magnussen's performance, there's been lots of hype surrounding him, and he is backed by Mclaren, so a best result of 6th doesn't really do the hype justice.

Just caught up with all the highlights, Race 3 at Monza was a cracker - thoroughly suggest you check it out on the link FB posted.

Very impressed with Nasr - I can see him going a long way. Seems to have the speed, has the backing, is PR friendly, and is managed by the Robertsons, who helped Jenson Button and Kimi Raikkonen into F1.. and they did pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom