Brawn and Jenson double champions

cider_and_toast said:
Jenson still had to beat his team mate, which he has done.

Yeah, he did beat Rubens thats true. Rubens did well to turn that around in the second half of the season but the gap was just to big. Its interesting that when the car was perfect Button flew but when it started to play up it was Rubens who more often than not managed the situation. Just look at last season where Rubens made a much better job of such a rubbish car.

There was an interesting comment from Rubens' engineer, Jock Clear, when interviewed after the race. He was asked if Jenson would have won the WDC if Rubens wasn't his team-mate, and Jock said that he probably wouldn't, as (and he felt that Jenson wouldn't mind him saying this) Rubens' setup/development experience helped Jenson...

Amdathlonuk said:
Right, I'll put my spoon away now....... ;)

LOL

Just thought I'd throw this table into the disussion.

This is in order for most points scored since the British GP which is when the other teams started to catch up with Brawn.

Driver			Gbr	Ger	Hun	Eur	Bel	Ita	Sin	Jpn	Bra	Abu	Total
Sebastian Vettel 10 8 6 1 5 10 5 45
Lewis Hamilton 10 8 10 6 6 40
Kimi Räikkönen 1 8 6 10 6 5 3 39
Rubens Barrichello 6 3 10 2 10 3 2 1 37
Mark Webber 8 10 6 10 34
Jenson Button 3 4 2 2 8 4 1 4 28
Nico Rosberg 4 5 5 4 1 4 23
Heikki Kovalainen 1 4 5 3 3 2 18
Robert Kubica 1 5 1 8 15
Fernando Alonso 2 3 4 6 15
Felipe Massa 5 6 11
Jarno Trulli 2 1 8 11
Timo Glock 3 8 11
Nick Heidfeld 4 2 3 9
Giancarlo Fisichella 8 8
Adrian Sutil 5 5
Sébastien Buemi 2 2
Sébastien Bourdais 0
So compared to his team mate, Jenson has only scored 9 points less in 9 races.

But it was the first 7 races where he did all the damage against Barrichello, Vettel and Webber.

Driver			Aus	Mal	Chn	Bhr	Spn	Mon	Tur	Total
Jenson Button 10 5 6 10 10 10 10 61
Rubens Barrichello 8 2 5 4 8 8 35
Sebastian Vettel 10 8 5 6 29
Mark Webber 1.5 8 6 4 8 27.5
Jarno Trulli 6 2.5 6 5 19.5
Timo Glock 5 3 2 2 1 13
Nico Rosberg 3 0.5 1 3 4 11.5
Fernando Alonso 4 1 4 2 11
Felipe Massa 3 5 3 11
Lewis Hamilton 1 3 5 9
Kimi Räikkönen 3 6 9
Nick Heidfeld 4 2 6
Heikki Kovalainen 4 4
Sébastien Buemi 2 1 3
Robert Kubica 2 2
Sébastien Bourdais 1 1 2
Giancarlo Fisichella 0
Adrian Sutil 0

He has scored in 15 of 16 races.
You can't really argue with that.

He has scored in 15 of 16 races.
You can't really argue with that.

Some people think he doesn't deserve to win, but thats the advantage of the points system, consistency wins.

Even if Bernie's flawed medal system had been introduced he would still be a worthy world champion, but he would have wrapped it up earlier.

Remember the drivers help develop the cars, through testing, so even if the arguments are that he had a great car surely he contributed to this.

Thanks Brogan I'm glad I didn't imagine it! Not sure how they worked out that it was racially motivated though. Perhaps they asked the object thrower? :dunno:

Back to the thread topic, I see lots of tributes have flooded in. And then there's Bernie - "Well, he's not world champion until the end of November when the FIA announce it. He's got enough points, if everything else is alright, to be world champion and he deserves it too. He did a good job. All the question marks from the last few races, in my opinion, now have disappeared." Tributes

Does Bernie know something? I know technically he's right, but, when giving a tribute, why say there might be an issue unless there is an issue? :s

One thought which has come to my mind, having read various media reports after Button's win, is that this championship appears to mean more to Jenson that perhaps Hamiltons did. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Lewis was blaise about winning the title but I think he expected to win it one day where as I think Jenson had almost given up hope of winning another race let alone the drivers championship before this season.

As to Bernie's comments, perhaps he thinks Jenson shouldn't be given the title for crimes against Queen songs. LOL Not much chance of Jenson making the final stages of X-Factor me thinks.

teabagyokel said:
Jonathan Legard:

Bernie says there'll be rain in the race, and he knows!

He doesn't.
You know, there was a couple of points during the race where I would quite happily have torn Legard limb from limb. The bloke really needs to remember where he is sometimes and actually learn who is who and what colour helmets the drivers wear..

James Allen Mk2.. Can't any television channel get it right with regards to comentators these days?!?

RickD said:
You know, there was a couple of points during the race where I would quite happily have torn Legard limb from limb.
Only a couple?

I sincerely hope the BBC have taken on board the feedback from the viewers and ditch him for next season.

RickD said:
You know, there was a couple of points during the race where I would quite happily have torn Legard limb from limb. The bloke really needs to remember where he is sometimes and actually learn who is who and what colour helmets the drivers wear

The embarrassing thing is he doesn't need to because of the handy red and yellow bars above the drivers head. Red implies ?1, yellow implies ?2. Even Toro Rosso have distinguished themselves from Red Bull by painting those colours on the winglets on nose cone!

It is so easy, at home you can just look at that and say who it is! Some of them even have some huge numbers on the front to help you too!

teabagyokel said :

[quote:1v73vxbd]RickD said: You know, there was a couple of points during the race where I would quite happily have torn Legard limb from limb. The bloke really needs to remember where he is sometimes and actually learn who is who and what colour helmets the drivers wear

The embarrassing thing is he doesn't need to because of the handy red and yellow bars above the drivers head. Red implies ?1, yellow implies ?2. Even Toro Rosso have distinguished themselves from Red Bull by painting those colours on the winglets on nose cone!

It is so easy, at home you can just look at that and say who it is! Some of them even have some huge numbers on the front to help you too![/quote:1v73vxbd]

I know the great Murray Walker also got it wrong but his enthuiasm and knowledge just made up for it. I sometimes suspected James Allen was watching a different race, and now the BBC have replaced him with someone equally incompetent.

looking forward to watching this. it was quite a feat. considering that they only updated the car once & money was very tight, you only have to look at 2010 season to see what effect finances had on the team they went from dominant winners to 4th best team

Button made hay while the sun shine & then tried to pick up consistent points to fend off a resurgent red bull who went on to win 4 in a row & That drive in interlagos was outstanding

looking forward to watching this. it was quite a feat. considering that they only updated the car once & money was very tight, you only have to look at 2010 season to see what effect finances had on the team they went from dominant winners to 4th best team

Button made hay while the sun shine & then tried to pick up consistent points to fend off a resurgent red bull who went on to win 4 in a row & That drive in interlagos was outstanding
It was probably one of the few times Red Bull and Newey were outsmarted

Back
Top Bottom