Brawn and Jenson double champions

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Congratulations to Jenson Button and Brawn GP on winning the Formula One 2009 WDC and WCC.

A remarkable achievement considering the team didn't actually exist this time last year.

Deserving champions?

No, Jenson really hasn't shown he is champion material until this race. I beleive he overtook more cars ths race than all season added together.

The carnage at the beginning helped also, he has been very lucky this year.

The team did exist, just under another guise.

Really disappointed it was won this way.

However, well done Brawn.

My congrats to Jenson, his form at the beginning of the year was incredible and his performance in Brazil showed how he can drive if he puts his mind to it.

Well at the end of the day the guy with the most points deserves the WDC.

He soundly beat his team mate at the start of the season and racked up the wins, points and a good cushion.

Granted he has been beaten by Rubens in the second half of the season but on balance he still amassed more points.
Let's not forget that he has led the WDC from day one and has always been in 1st place.

And if anything he deserved it on today's race.
He went for a lot of moves to secure the place he needed, which could easily have seen him out of the race.

A thoroughly enjoyable race.

Amdathlonuk said:
No, Jenson really hasn't shown he is champion material until this race

Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain, Spain, Monaco and Turkey, perhaps? The points table has a longer memory than some, no?

He's a deserving World Champion because he scored more points than all the other drivers. 6 wins is more than Hamilton 08 and the same as Raikkonen 07, although Button has won with a race to kick back in!

:1st: Bravo Jenson!

Fantastic race! Well done Jenson. You are a deserving champion, by virtue of gaining more points than anyone else and some fantastic overtaking moves, not just today, but all season. Well done. :1st:

Also, Rubens. What a gent! First to congratulate the WDC winner. Rubens you are ace! :cheer:

Also, did anyone see Hamilton's interview on the red button BBC forum. Did someone throw something at him? :blink:

Great race and a great WDC. I was in tears for probably 1/2 an hour after that race!

Well done to Lewis as well for hauling McLaren up to 3rd in the WCC.

McZiderRed said:
Also, did anyone see Hamilton's interview on the red button BBC forum. Did someone throw something at him?

Sorry, didn't see it, what happened.

rufus_mcdufus said:
Well done to Lewis as well for hauling McLaren up to 3rd in the WCC.

Button was singing "We are the Champions"; Kimi and Lewis would be singing "With a Little Help from My Friends"!

Any others: how about Alonso singing "I want to break free"...

Amdathlonuk said:
No, Jenson really hasn't shown he is champion material until this race. I beleive he overtook more cars ths race than all season added together.

The carnage at the beginning helped also, he has been very lucky this year.

The team did exist, just under another guise.

Really disappointed it was won this way.

However, well done Brawn.
Really, he has made less mistakes than anyone else and has nearly always finished equal or better than his qualifying position. If only Reubens could say the same, he would be champion. If Vettel didn't make mistakes and keep blowing his engine up (notice it didn't happen to Webber), then he still would have been in with a shout.

So yes, he is a very deserving champion and he has easily been the most consistent. 6 races wins don't lie..

WELL DONE JENSE, ON THE BUTTON!!!! :thumbsup: :thankyou:

teabagyokel said:
McZiderRed said:
Also, did anyone see Hamilton's interview on the red button BBC forum. Did someone throw something at him?

When Lewis was interviewed by Leigh McKenzie (sp?), he flinched as if avoiding something. He then looked upwards and didn't answer the question asked but said something along the lines of "someone threw something at me!" McKenzie then said "lets just ignore them and carry on."

Perhaps a Brazilian holds a grudge against Lewis from last year? :dunno:

I've looked to see if anyone has put it on youtube, but can't find it...

McZiderRed said:
teabagyokel said:
McZiderRed said:

When Lewis was interviewed by Leigh McKenzie (sp?), he flinched as if avoiding something. He then looked upwards and didn't answer the question asked but said something along the lines of "someone threw something at me!" McKenzie then said "lets just ignore them and carry on."

Perhaps a Brazilian holds a grudge against Lewis from last year? :dunno:

I've looked to see if anyone has put it on youtube, but can't find it...

Probably a grudge from this year, he caused Rubens to pit as he gave him a punture!! :o

teabagyokel said:
Amdathlonuk said:
No, Jenson really hasn't shown he is champion material until this race

Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain, Spain, Monaco and Turkey, perhaps? The points table has a longer memory than some, no?

He's a deserving World Champion because he scored more points than all the other drivers. 6 wins is more than Hamilton 08 and the same as Raikkonen 07, although Button has won with a race to kick back in!

:1st: Bravo Jenson!

Agreed he scored more points than the other drivers, therefore he's world champion.
Wether he deserves it or not is personal opinion.

I don't think he does. His closest rival was his team mate which shows it was the car that clinched it.
Let's be honest you could have Nakajima in that Brawn at the beginning of the season and he'd be world champion now.........

However, the last race was particularly exciting! :o

Amdathlonuk said:
Let's be honest you could have Nakajima in that Brawn at the beginning of the season and he'd be world champion now.........
The Brawn car is good but it's not that good!

I argued in the "Did Hammy deserve the title" thread that these arguments are pointless so I would be massive hypocrit if I went against that here.

All I would say is that for the first 7 races of the season the Brawn was streets ahead of the rest and it lost that advantage from GB onwards. Would Button have won the title without that? Who knows.

I think the press totally miss the fact that Brawn "did" exist before this Christmas and they were called Honda. This season was vertually bankrolled by Honda and Bernie hence there wasn't a scramble all season to put sponsors names on the car.

That said they took both titles ahead of Ferrari and Mclaren and that takes some doing.

Even if the car was the best in the first 1/3rd of the season, Jenson still had to beat his team mate, which he has done.

So yes Brawn may have got a jump on the field but then again you could argue that it's the other teams' fault for not using a double diffuser from the beginning.
After all, Ross Brawn told them all about it and made it clear he was going to be using one...

Jenson still had to beat his team mate, which he has done.

Yeah, he did beat Rubens thats true. Rubens did well to turn that around in the second half of the season but the gap was just to big. Its interesting that when the car was perfect Button flew but when it started to play up it was Rubens who more often than not managed the situation. Just look at last season where Rubens made a much better job of such a rubbish car.

Brawn may have got a jump on the field but then again you could argue that it's the other teams' fault for not using a double diffuser from the beginning.
After all, Ross Brawn told them all about it and made it clear he was going to be using one...

I think most teams saw the double diffuser as being illegal at the start of the season. Remember there were several potests about it and it was one of those devices that complies with the letter of the law but not the spirit.

I seem to remember that Brawn warned the FIA that there was a way of driving a coach and horses through the new underside rules but I would imagine he didn't lay out the exact details. So I guess some of the teams are to blame for not spotting it but then again if those teams had have gone down that route only for a "rule clarification" they would have been stuck.

I just hope next year we get a clean fight, no scandel and a great battle between all the leading contendors.

Back
Top Bottom