BBC Commentary Team

F1Yorkshire

Avatar for sale to the highest bidder
Contributor
There could be a possible change in the TV commentary team for 2011.

Charles Sale from the Daily Mail (not the most reliable of media) has put this in his column:

The BBC Formula One commentary partnership of Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle hasn't gelled over two years, to the extent that doubts are being expressed by the Corporation's top brass as to whether Legard's contract will be renewed next season.
Brundle is the most influential member of the F1 set-up and is known to favour working with another commentator.
Aussie Charlie Cox, who does MotoGP for the Beeb, is being mooted as a possible replacement for the popular Legard, who retains the support of other members of the BBC Grand Prix team.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... z0zV3efk94

I'm not sure replacing Legard with Cox is a good move to be honest.

The MotoGP commentary I find annoying and littered with stupid phrases such as "he needed that like he needed a 3rd armpit", "nightmare in a bubble car", etc.

My first choice would be David Croft.
I can't quite understand why the BBC didn't go with him initially.

I could go for Crofty (in the commentary sense at least) or Ben whatisface who does the BTCC. As long as James Allen and his faux excitement don't reappear I don't mind. I never thought anyone could be worse than Murray Walker until James Allen happened along...

Brogan said:
The MotoGP commentary I find annoying and littered with stupid phrases such as "he needed that like he needed a 3rd armpit", "nightmare in a bubble car", etc.

Drat, you've rumbled mine and my brother's drinking game - take a drink for any Cox up and you have to nail a whole beer should he say "nightmare in a bubble car" LOL

+1 for Crofty.

If Chandhok doesn't make it into a race seat next year I think he should definately get alongside Brundle. He has done well for the practise sessions and he does have the 'Karunpedia'.

Legard isn't brilliant but we could be stuck with a lot worse.

I don't think you could have Chandhok and Brundle as they both essentially talk about the technical aspects.

You do need a basic commentator, just make it someone who says something remotely interesting and doesn't miss crucial events all the time.

Ben Edwards and John Watson would get my vote any day of the week but Crofty wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Legard has never really worked for me and I did raise an eyebrow at the article describing him as "popular". I can't say I've heard anyone use that term about him. A return to James Allen would be a nightmare. I have to say though, I've just about had enough of Brundle as well. He always seems so smug and "know it all" to me and I can't help but think every time he opens his mouth, how many GP did he win ??

cider_and_toast said:
Ben Edwards and John Watson would get my vote any day of the week but Crofty wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Legard has never really worked for me and I did raise an eyebrow at the article describing him as "popular". I can't say I've heard anyone use that term about him. A return to James Allen would be a nightmare. I have to say though, I've just about had enough of Brundle as well. He always seems so smug and "know it all" to me and I can't help but think every time he opens his mouth, how many GP did he win ??

0. From 158 starts. In fairness his first season was a total dsq, but his career highlights were 9 podiums. An Heidfeldian career if ever there was one. (Except Heidfeld. Who has at least had a pole and a couple of fastest laps.)

I've sort of got used to Legard now. I'm not sure whether that's because he's getting better or whether I've developed a "Legard Filter", which lessens the affect of his witterings... :unsure:

Charlie Cox would be a backward step leap, so let's hope this is just scaremongering!

I agree with C_a_T, apart from the Brundle part (I quite like his input as a commentator/pit-lane prowler)...

cider_and_toast said:

Brogan said:
I don't think you could have Chandhok and Brundle as they both essentially talk about the technical aspects.

You do need a basic commentator, just make it someone who says something remotely interesting and doesn't miss crucial events all the time.

Got it in, well, two :D

The perfect set-up is one objective commentator and one subjective commentator IMHO.

One person with the knowledge, one with the gift of the gab.

One with the technical know how, one with emotion.

One with driving experience, one with the passion.

Martin Brundle is the ace at the BBC as far as the first part goes, someone that could fill the other role is a tough call. I don't mind Leggard too much, i don't like his starts (need much much more shouting right as the lights go out), but he trips up quite often and its not as funny, forgivable or entertaining as when Murray Walker did it.

I would be quite happy with Crofty to replace Legard. Actually, as long as they know and care about whats going on, know the difference between the outside and inside of a corner and let the other guy speak, I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom