Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i was a generous 8. i felt like a 7 but then its not often you get a full underdog podium. & had huge championship swings

While it was enjoyable and the 2 lap sprint race was a giggle I can't help but feel, for the world championship, it would have been better for Hamilton and Verstappen to finish the race. As the last few laps closed out we had the prospect of Vettel on fresher tyres and Hamilton attacking Perez for second at least.

It's still shaping up to be a good season.

Verstappen has dismissed Pirelli's official explanation that it was caused by debris so presumably it failed due to Verstappen's driving.

If it was a general tyre issue then it would have happened to all the drivers.

So no, Verstappen should not have a 14 point lead.

Brogan - that's not entirely true, as you're assuming that everything happens in a causal, "certain" way.

Unfortunately, failures like could be seen as probabilistic events. So, based on a sample of about 18 cars, once they reach 30 laps of usage on the Hard tyres, the probability of failure was about 10% (2 failures out of 18). Max was unlucky, the other drivers were lucky. We can't tell whether this is the case, because after Max's failure, all of the other drivers slowed down, and were then given the opportunity to change tyres. Had racing carried on, and more failures were seen, we could have tested our hypothesis.

Verstappen has dismissed Pirelli's official explanation that it was caused by debris so presumably it failed due to Verstappen's driving.

If it was a general tyre issue then it would have happened to all the drivers.

So no, Verstappen should not have a 14 point lead.
luck plays a big part in this & everyone who had a tyre over 30 laps was at risk. now it doesnt matter whether they survived or not. its like 2020 british gp. every driver was risk but some got away with it & some like hamilton Bottas Sainz Kyvat went, Verstappen wouldve if hadnt pitted

Last edited:
done some research i think this is the majority but ive probably missed 1 or 2. but at what do we stop thinking it debris or if it is, make them or resilient to debris. but if there is 1 constant on all this of 20ish drivers in 8 years. that you get zero warning & its the eqvilant of balloon popping

Last edited:
Wasn't there a problem in Belgium a few years ago where the tyres were failing? Everyone pointed the finger at Pirelli and said their tyres weren't up to the job. Then it transpired it was because the drivers were throwing the cars over high kerbs, which weren't actually part of the track, in an an attempt to make the circuit shorter, and the teams were running the tyre at pressures which Pirelli did not sanction.

Whilst I agree that the root cause of the failure must be understood the drivers and car designers must take their share of responsibility in using the tyres based on the design brief given to the supplier and not, as ever, "ripping the arse out of it", putting the lives of drivers at risk for a the sake of a 10th of a second.

It's also worth noting that Mercedes have designed their car this year to be less aggressive on the tyres, unlike last season, which is why they were struggling in quali. So it could be a function of the design of the redbull/shadowmerc that they're more aggressive on the tyres.

I think 7
Less than 5 for 5 laps to finish and 7 for the last 2 laps of the race :)

Upset for Hamilton fault on the restart...
But on the other hand, it is good for the fight in the championship
that after the crash of Verstappen,
Hamilton did not get a victory or a podium.

He might have damaged it prior to the straight and then the higher temperatures generated by by running at over 200mph for 1 1/2 miles was too much for it. :dunno:

So should we go back to a tyre war?

I am trying to think.other famous tyre blow outs

Mansell 86 - they told him to stay out lao times were good and Goodyear said the tyres would last then it went without warning

Senna Mexico 90 - he lead by miles then got caught by Prost because Mclaren risked him doing the distance whilst Berger pitted early so he lost the win

Hill Hockenheim 93 - 6 miles from the flag - Williams did not bring him in

If teams are willing to risk the tyres to the end of their life then they will risk blow outs

If teams are willing to risk the tyres to the end of their life then they will risk blow outs
yes i guess we have had issues either way, but theirs no doubt how good the bridgestone tyres were because of the tyre war. but the things was they werent near the end of their life or pushing past unsafe limits Pirelli said they would do 40 laps Verstappen & stroll were 45 laps on a stint. they were 32?

& Ted kravitz interviewed the person involved "ive chatted to the pirelli advisor about stroll tyre, he told me he isnt worried in the slightest & confident they can still do 40 laps"

Well yes but Pirelli can say we were surprised by the track conditions different to tests we done...again anything can happen in F1 so Red Bull and Verstappen could have managed the race pace better....

The difference is because Bridgestone set the bar high in terms of durable tyres..Pirelli have been told to produce an inferior product which the FIA refuse to take accountability for that it was their guidelines

Back
Top Bottom