Alonso and Hamilton - Great Rivals Not Great Enemies

sushifiesta

Champion Elect
Contributor
Ever since the heated 2007 season the media and fans alike have loved making a big deal out of the 'bitter rivalry' between Alonso and Hamilton. During that season anything and everything happened both on and off the track, the blocking incident at the Hungarian grand prix, spygate etc. etc. However, I think most of this tension was caused between Alonso and McLaren, not Alonso and Hamilton, as for the first time in his career he wasn't the undisputed number one in his team. We all know that Alonso gets fiery when all isn't well and spark inevitably flew.

Since then, although they aren't best mates I think they have both have developed great respect for each other. What prompted me to write this today were these two articles:
The James Allen article talks about how Hamilton went out of his way to make sure he wasn't impeding Alonso during third practice, and the autosport one is comments made by Alonso after qualifying that he thought Hamilton should have been on pole. Neither of these are the actions of enemies. Also, although I don't have links, I remember that both have said how much they learnt from each other during the 2007 season in the past.

I think its about time we learnt just to admire them as two of the best drivers of their generation and drop all the hate (I sound like a hippie...). Anyway, I'm not going to miss all the 606 wummery and I hope we can have a few more seasons in the future like 2007 with Alonso and Hamilton fighting tooth and nail at the front (with Hamilton the eventual winner ;)).

Thank you Shushifiesta. A breath of fresh air after some very suspect comments that seemed to have leaked through the wormhole connecting 606 to CTA. I think you'll enjoy this forum, a lot!:goodday:

p.s. I believe the wormhole is to be plugged.

I think it's fair to say that the respective fans have made a lot more of it than the drivers ever did.

With regards to the Autosport article for example, I have seen it suggested that Alonso's comment about Hamilton getting pole is simply Alonso sticking the knife in and twisting it.
Whereas I thought it was more of a compliment suggesting that the McLaren had the pace and Hamilton was the one who would be able to exploit it best.

The problem is, as soon as you involve the more fervent fans, all logic and reason goes out of the window.

What's wrong with Hippies?:sleeping::heart::twisted:8-)LOL

Seriously though. I think in general that top flight racing drivers are members of a select fraternity and I think they are well aware of that fact. One only has to look at the body language and facial expressions of everyone to a man and women yesterday as we awaited word on Sergio Perez' condition. Spoke volumes about how drivers really feel about each other. Now that sounds quite hippy, don't it.

I always thought it was blown out of porportion.

After 2008, it seemed to have died down, now it's as if they are best mates, especially judging by that picture in the caption contest :p

It's all a 'bit my spouse turns into a devil behind the wheel but once we arrive they are a different person' - I know there have been great feuds in the past, but I've never really bought all the hype about the animosity between these two drivers.

Again, useful media fodder.

I always thought it was blown out of porportion.

After 2008, it seemed to have died down, now it's as if they are best mates, especially judging by that picture in the caption contest :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I think ever since the Prost-Senna days, a rivaly which captured the public's imagination perhaps more than any other, some of the media have forever been attempting to recreate something similar, which can obviously never be repeated again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I think ever since the Prost-Senna days, a rivaly which captured the public's imagination perhaps more than any other, some of the media have forever been attempting to recreate something similar, which can obviously never be repeated again.

Yes, I was going to add that in but I forgot what I was going to write when I put up the silly comment instead so I just posted it :p

Prost-Senna rivalry will never be matched...I think everyone needs to get to terms with that.

From Fernando's perspective, respect perhaps but really he can't stand the sight of Hamilton,......do you really believe that it was a simple case of Alonso being the brat.....hardly I think Lewis had a lot in that whole nightmare, he somehow got the McLaren hiarchy on his side and they just did everything possible to make Alonso uncomfortable......BUT THAT WAS SOOOOO YESTERDAY

In case you have doubted Alonso's hatred of Hamilton, you only have to roll back to spain, he shook Buttons hand, embraced Vettel and just downright ignored Hamilton, that is a little more than competitive respect.

Yes Alonso may not be the good saint, but he was not inplemented in the Singapore debarcle, nor did he just ask Massa to pull over.........Despite how just downright hateable he is.

Yes Alonso may not be the good saint, but he was not inplemented in the Singapore debarcle, nor did he just ask Massa to pull over.........Despite how just downright hateable he is.

To be fair, he did say "I am faster than Felipe" and the his engineer says "okay, we got the message"

Doesn't take a genius to figure out what the message is

To be fair, he did say "I am faster than Felipe" and the his engineer says "okay, we got the message"

Doesn't take a genius to figure out what the message is

Well it was not decided as meaning "pull over" he may have just been saying he is faster, perhaps prompting a engine mode turn up or something of that nature........

From Fernando's perspective, respect perhaps but really he can't stand the sight of Hamilton,......do you really believe that it was a simple case of Alonso being the brat.....hardly I think Lewis had a lot in that whole nightmare, he somehow got the McLaren hiarchy on his side and they just did everything possible to make Alonso uncomfortable......BUT THAT WAS SOOOOO YESTERDAY

In case you have doubted Alonso's hatred of Hamilton, you only have to roll back to spain, he shook Buttons hand, embraced Vettel and just downright ignored Hamilton, that is a little more than competitive respect.

Well it was not decided as meaning "pull over" he may have just been saying he is faster, perhaps prompting a engine mode turn up or something of that nature........

I am a huge Alonso fan and he is one of the most competitive and competent men on the track. However, he is no saint, but I do think he has a deep respect for Hamilton as a professional opponent.

All these guys know each other well and some are great friends, but it doesn't stop them going for broke on the racetrack or in the garage. I think they have a peculiar ability to 'shut down' from any rivalries once they are off the circuit.

Why else would Alonso recommend Kubica to Renault when he knew what an awesome driver he was?

I am a huge Alonso fan and he is one of the most competitive and competent men on the track. However, he is no saint, but I do think he has a grudging respect for Hamilton as a professional opponent.

All these guys know each other well and some are great friends, but it doesn't stop them going for broke on the racetrack or in the garage. I think they have a peculiar ability to 'shut down' from any rivalries once they are off the circuit.

Why else would Alonso recommend Kubica to Renault when he knew what an awesome driver he was?

I am not saying that Alonso is the complete darling, that said he has matured in a good way since the bad 2007 season. Everyone knows that drivers have cliques, Alonso-Kubica, Alonso-Webber are some that I know Alonso involved in, that said you will never see Alonso and Hamilton ever exchange Christmas gifts, respect yes, friendship.....well that boat was scuttled a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom