Current Alfa Romeo Racing (formerly Sauber)

BradMan

Rookie
Scott Mitchell informs us the Alfa Romeo is called the 'C38' - so it has retained the Sauber tradition of chassis names. Nice touch.

Dartman

Points Scorer
Izumi, there has never been a golden age, there have been better years, but never an age, F1 also has always been a mix of manufacturers and independents even in the early days when really Ferrari was an independent as against Maserati, Alfa, Talbot, Simca and other European manufacturers, with the odd sprinkling of mainly UK entrants ERA, Alta and Vanwall, though a large engineering company not a manufacturer of cars using a modified Rolls Royce inline 6 block.
Jump to 1962 and we only have Lotus Ferrari and Porsche as manufacturers, it was won by BRM an engineering company similar to Williams but with their own engine.
The difference now is the huge cost of developing a power unit that is reliable, only three per season supposedly to cut costs and limited to 15000 rpm however it is cheaper to manufacture a simpler engine and recoup parts from a damaged engine to run later in the season, perhaps not back to the old turbo era when if an engine let go nothing was salvageable.
Though we have 4 engine suppliers only two are near each other in maximum power, there have been more engines on the grid and less in the past, aero is the name of the game as RB has shown but BHP still seems to win, the race is in the design office and engineering, the driver not so much so, there are a few drivers down the grid that could have give Lewis Hamilton a run for his money, not saying they could have beaten him not saying they couldn't.
Viewing numbers were at risk the moment the first Astra satellite was launched and Rupert Murdoch realised if he bought the rights to most sports he couldn't never go broke, though sports could rise and fall at Murdoch's whim Rugby League being a good example

Izumi

Points Scorer
DATE: 2019-02-18 CET: 16:28

Dartman
There are numerous grievances just about any number of reasons, and we can talk about any of those for ages. I would rather however narrow the discussion on what to do next.

There seems to be tendency in recent years to finger-point Ferrari and Mercedes as sources of all evil in today F1. I tend to disagree. FiA and Commercial rights holder both as regulatory and financial bodies knew what was proposed regarding 2014, and they approve of it. Today if someone has questions about it, they should perhaps address their concerns to those who handed over e few years of easy life to Mercedes, and ask WHY did you do this? No one was fired, as far as I know. Mercedes is just implementing plan, nothing more, nothing less.

I fully agree there never was "golden era" when everyone was happy, and I am rather confused what people talking about when they discussing need for change, but never define change to what and why? Is there realistically a business model which would work for everyone? Somehow I doubt it. I still would like to sit down with Brawn, let him relax, and talk freely about his plans and what will happen to series in 2021. Permit me to speculate, but I do not see in my crystal ball 6 cylinder turbo. (4 cylinder turbo - maybe. That would get VW, Porsche and maybe Cosworth interested.)
I.

BradMan

Rookie
The C38 is a little different from the shakedown spy pics. I wonder if Alfa is holding some cards up their sleeve not to give away any secrets, and gradually introduced those as the testing continues

BradMan

Rookie
The C38 is a little different from the shakedown spy pics. I wonder if Alfa is holding some cards up their sleeve not to give away any secrets, and gradually introduced those as the testing continues
A new development from Alfa Romeo during the second half of testing, adding a small fin to the engine cover just ahead of the rear wing, with a drooping T-wing attached to the trailing edge. This is going to clean up airflow ahead of the rear wing, ensuring it’s not too affected by any pockets of turbulence being shed from the engine cover. Similar to what McLaren runs, it’s interesting that the fold in the engine cover comes as its own separate piece of bodywork, hinting at further developments in this area...

Attachments

sobriety

Pole Sitter
Proper Singha in Thailand used to be epic, less than £1 a litre and 6%ish (literally ish, as they weren't too fussed on the actual strength) in 30+ degree heat, it was possibly to be shitfaced for about £7, leaving the other £3 for a meal, I miss my post-uni travels!

Top Bottom