Alex Zanardi

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
I see on Autosport that Alex Zanardi is going to be testing a BMW M3 with a view to returning to racing next year in the DTM.He remains one of the toughest and bravest drivers I have ever seen, and I will be thrilled to see him behind the wheel of a race car again, I am not certain of the wisdom of the move. Beyond the obvious physical handicaps inflicted upon him by his previous horrific accident, he has been out of racing a long time. Tanking that into consideration, I will admit that the DTM would be an almost ideal venue for such a return.

I want to wish Alex well in the coming year, and I be will following his return with true excitement.

This is good news. I know there's been talk of him running an Indycar for Jimmy Vasser, which would be incredible. With the right time for preparation and modifications I'm sure either would be possible.

siffert_fan - Alex was racing for BMW until a few years back in the WTCC - won at least one race, too. Apologies if you were already aware of this.

Didn't Clay Regazzoni race again, albeit not at the top level, in a modified car? The story I recall was the other drivers complaining Regga was too fast even though he was paralysed from the waist down.

This is good news. I know there's been talk of him running an Indycar for Jimmy Vasser, which would be incredible. With the right time for preparation and modifications I'm sure either would be possible.

Chip Ganassi promised Zanardi a ride for next year's Indy 500 if he won gold. Ganassi said the deal is still on. Zanardi probably won't take it though.

Yes FB, In the late 1980's / early 90's Regazzoni competed in the Sebring 12 hours and Paris-Dakar rally in modified "hand-controlled" cars. In later years he was a commentator for Italian television. Ironically and tragically, he died in a road accident in Italy in 2006.

What a man Zanardi is. Yes their are tons of inspirational athletes at paralympics & cant single out 1 person but Zanardi really does embody any spirit whether it's olympic or paralympic because after that horrific crash where he lost his legs & as they say in article
drained him of all but a litre of his blood, he get abit down on himself & return to a normal life maybe get really angry with indycar. but love the fighting spirt where he not only wants regain his health. He focuses on being on the best hand cyclist & at 49 retains the title he won in London to have in all 3 paralympic golds & 8 world championships golds. The man is amazing rolemodel

Love this article emotional reading it
Rio Paralympics 2016: Alex Zanardi pays golden homage to Ayrton Senna after winning hand-cycle time trial

Back
Top Bottom