Activate the invisibility shield

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
We've seen it on numerous TV programs and films.
A load of hogwash I hear you say.

Well now it's real! :o

Scientists have created the first device to render an object invisible in three dimensions.

The "cloak", described in the journal Science, hid an object from detection using light of wavelengths close to those that are visible to humans.

Previous devices have been able to hide objects from light travelling in only one direction; viewed from any other angle, the object would remain visible.

This is a very early but significant step towards true invisibility cloaks.

I've got one on my Xmas list already :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8574923.stm

In this case, the researchers use the device to cloak a bump one micrometre (one thousandth of a millimetre) high.

"But in theory there are no limits [to the size of the object you could hide], said Dr Ergin. "You could blow this up and hide a house."

"But it took us three hours to make this structure, so if you wanted to make it even one millimetre in size you would have to wait a very long time."

Professor Ortwin Hess from the University of Surrey in the UK said that this study was a "huge step forward".

I think you are going to have to wait a bit longer than Xmas. LOL

However, the demonstration works only for waves in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Why would I want to hide things in the microwave? I presume they would only disappear when it's turned on?

Back
Top Bottom