Grand Prix 2021 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yee Haw, it the rhinestone, longhorn and barbecue Grand Prix!

Back to Texas for 9th running of the USA Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas. We could discuss the season so far, and the battle between Hamilton and Verstappen but instead here's a brief history of the only F1 World Champion born in the United States, Phil Hill.

Hill was born in Miami, Florida in 1927 and grew up in California. In 1949, after a couple of years at University, Hill came to England and worked for Jaguar. He signed for Ferrari in 1955, to drive for their sportscar team. Enzo did not consider him temperamentally suited to single seat racing. He won Le Mans in 1958, 1961 and 1962, each time paired with Olivier Genbedein, which showed that old man Ferrari had a reasonable of what a driver was capable of.

In 1958, following the death of Luigi Musso and Peter Collins, Hill was promoted to the F1 team and helped Mike Hawthorn win the Championship. He won his first race for Ferrari at, of all places for a Ferrari driver, Monza in 1960. In 1961 the title race boiled down to a battle between Hill and Ferrari team mate Wolfgang von Trips. At Monza von Trips touched wheels with Jim Clark, his car cartwheeled in to the crowd killing the German and 14 spectators. Hill won the race and took the title by a single point from his dead team mate.

He was pall bearer at von Trips and described the experience as "profoundly mournful". Hill drove for Ferrari for the 1962 season but failed to win another race. From there his career went steadily downhill and in 1966, driving for Dan Gurney's All American Racers he failed to qualify yet again at Monza. He never drove an F1 car again.

Hill drove a few more sports car races but retired from motor racing entirely in 1967, settling down to domestic life back in California. He passed away in 2008 from complications related to Parkinson's disease.

The race on Sunday is over 49 laps of the 3.4 mile circuit. Valterri Bottas won the race the last time it took place in 2019, however Lewis has won 5 of the 8 race at CotA. Enjoy!

1635072151967.png

They have not made a big thing about it but apparently the track has been resurfaced since 2019 and when the MotoGP guys raced there last month they complained how seriously bumpy the track was in some places and unsettling them. The riders have demanded they don't want to race there unless the track bumps are sorted out ie resurface again

In an F1 car they will not feel it as badly but might be factor in the levels of performance of certain teams as some are reporting cracked wings and the car bottoming

i try to defend alonso but there is double standards.

kimi overtakes alonso off track (because he was forced off). "give me the place back you cant do that"

Alonso overtakes Giovinazzi off track "oooh yeah"

Well I really wasted my bet this race. I bet ( e/w ) on Bottas. I should have known better. He’s just gone backwards
☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

martins gridwalk never disappoints. got in a argument with a megan the horse hanger on. told him where to shove it. cheer when martin said
"I can do it because I just did"

the weird things you find who knew the williams sisters hate Martin Brundle, with serena completing the set
F1Brits_90 Who are these people? Why should any of them hate Martin Brundle, and that wasn’t Martin Brundle anyway. I am seriously confused.

Last edited:
Ok championship over. I’m not watching any more races this year. If Mercedes can’t win at COTA then it’s over.

F1Brits_90 Who are these people? Why should any of them hate Martin Brundle, and that wasn’t Martin Brundle anyway. I am seriously confused.
it was the video embedded. he tried to chat to a rapper & 1 of her hangers on. tried to have a go at him, for having the cheek to chat to a "celeb"

hanger on - "you cant do that"

Brundle - "I can do it because I just did"

Ok championship over. I’m not watching any more races this year. If Mercedes can’t win at COTA then it’s over.

unless lewis does something spectacular in mexico or brazil. Lewis title hopes look slim. as i said in great detail on "wheres your money thread"

Last edited:
Perez on the podium twice in a row shows how good that Red Bull car is. Lucky Hamilton wasn’t driving it as the season would have been finished long ago.Also there can’t be any bigger douchbag in F1 than Fernando Alonso, with his antics with Antonio Giovinazzi and Kimi Raikkonen.

Last edited:
Verstappen and Hamilton the class of the field at the moment

that was a hard earned victory .. the luck is with Red Bull and Verstappen at the moment ... really something needs to swing back in Hamilton's favour but if there is one opponent Red Bull fear most right is Hamilton

Verstappen and Hamilton the class of the field at the moment

that was a hard earned victory .. the luck is with Red Bull and Verstappen at the moment ... really something needs to swing back in Hamilton's favour but if there is one opponent Red Bull fear most right is Hamilton
for me lewis has to win 2 of the next 3 races to stay with fate with in his own hands

Back
Top Bottom