Grand Prix 2021 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gobble, gobble gobble, it's the Grand Prix of Turkey!

Right, that's the casual racism over let's discuss the race which was supposed to replace Canada, but then got replaced by Styria and now is replacing Singapore. Got that? Good. We got F1 back in Turkey in 2020 to bulk out the calendar. You have to ask why the Turkish race was dropped after 2011, as the track is by far one of the best modern circuits, but money talks.

You might recall the 2020 race, we had Lance Stroll on pole and F1 attempted to create Dancing on Ice with rain on a newly laid surface creating a super low grip environment. Stroll was leading handsomely until a second pit stop and a damaged front wing destroyed his new rubber. Meanwhile Lewis Hamilton, who started 6th, tiptoed round and stole the race in what, for me at least, was the drive of his career. I suitable demonstration of his talents to secure his seventh World Championship.

I don't believe the owners of Istanbul Park have resurfaced the track this year, however the long distance weather forecast suggest that it might rain. This also won't be a race where we see a new World Champion crowned. So what might we expect? Max will be back towards the front now he has taken his engine penalty from Russia. Lewis will be there as well, but who else might be in with a chance? I don't think either Perez or Bottas are potential race winners, although if there is an incident between the two protagonists one or the other might be there to pick up the pieces.

But might the McLaren resurgence continue? A wet race would certainly mix thing up and could even present a chance for Ferrari to get back closer to the podium paces. Behind these four teams the battle for the remaining points will be between Alpha Tauri, Aston Martin and Alpine. Williams might collect a few more points and Alfa Romeo and Haas will also be at the race.

The race will be over 58 laps of a 3.32 mile circuit. Enjoy.

Anyone show Verstappen's last year's race where he made a shocking start from 2nd

I think those on the inside might be a bit worried about the grip level

---------------

As for overtaking I don't think its as difficult as Hamilton given its the climb up the back straight and the speed advantage will be very significant so I think Hamilton can definitely get P3

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-170957_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211009-170957_Samsung Internet.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 68
It looks like Hamilton and Mercedes have serious speed around the track that no one can answer to
yeah Mercedes look absolutely planted here & red bull just have no answer it reminds of them in 2019 & 2020 at times, if it was a normal qualifying. id expect Hamilton to run & hide win comfortably, if there is a late safety car with 20-25 laps to go & he's not taken out at the 1st corner. i wouldnt put it past him to win tomorrow

I wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton is taken out at the first corner, being right in the middle of the pack.
I'd be more worried if I was Verstappen he is on the side with less grip and Le Clerc might get a fast start even then I think Bottas will have him down the back straight

I'd be more worried if I was Verstappen he is on the side with less grip and Le Clerc might get a fast start even then I think Bottas will have him down the back straight
Given the choice between losing a couple of places at the start, or being taken out at the first corner, I know which one I would choose.

Given the choice between losing a couple of places at the start, or being taken out at the first corner, I know which one I would choose.
The same thing can happen to Max if he refuses to yield like he has not been its a short run to the first corner..last year he got a shocking start and was lucky not to be collected

Plus he got impatient and spun in the race this track seems to be one where Red Bull drivers make mistakes and chuck away wins

Verstappen could be dealing with Le Clerc and Alonso which is not what he wants

Yup, but we're talking about Max "getouttamywayorI'llhityou" Verstappen here.

Back
Top Bottom