Grand Prix 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

READ ALL ABOUT IT!
Brazil Nuts About Motor Racing.
While the first thoughts on the arrival of the Brazil Formula 1 weekend are usually related to Ayrton Senna Da Silva it's worth considering that there's a level of fanaticism for motor racing in all its forms in the massive country that is Brazil.
Yes, Brazilians have won eight F1 titles, but with only three drivers. They have won countless other titles, in CART, Indy, sportscars and others; indeed, should the whole spectrum be considered then I contend that the greatest Brazilian driver can only be Fittipaldi, I'll leave you to choose which one.
But back to Formula 1, which is where our hearts lie......
Rio de Janeiro, host of many Grands Prix but sadly not on the current calendar, I was a big fan of this circuit, with its sweepy nature and fast straights which was super in the mid eighties turbo madness. It's a shame that such a great course couldn't have warranted two Brazil races per season and thereby pushed a Tilkedrone (yes, I have meant to spell it like that) off the calendar but at least we have Interlagos to focus the senses.
Sao Paolo is such a city of contrast in many forms that I feel guilty about looking forward to the F1 race, which will ignore the poverty and crime that continues to bubble but it's usually a great race and often determines the Drivers' World Champion. The first half of the circuit provides the drama and I find that Ferradura to the finish line is merely "padding". That's not to say that the lap isn't a challenge for all of its 15 turns, the majority being left-handers and the changes in gradient requiring a well balanced setup with a focus on throttle control to make the most of the opportunities to build and carry speed throughout. Notable memories from the circuit for me usually involve rain and contenders conking out late on but the stand-outs are Fisi's victory in 03 and the crowning of the Lovely Boy as World Champ in 09. Take a look through the write-ups on previous races, it really does throw up intrigue, farce and tremendous racing exploits. This year, it's going to be a scrap further down the championship table, the spoils already having been awarded to worthy Champion Lewis Hamilton.
I begin to ponder on the likely winner at this circuit, which favours high power and low drag.......

My money's on Mercedes, but of course, I'm hoping for any team outside the big 3 to take the win.
Current circuit layout in red, overlaid on original layout:
image.jpeg

Apologies to those of you who were hoping for a more jocular intro to the weekend, I thought long and hard about it, but a more formal approach won, it was a close shave though!

Last edited:
20-0 & half a second off kubica is so sad. to go with previous 5 3 tenths, 1.1secs, crash, 1.3secs, 5 tenths. i was a big fan but this will taint his stellar previous career. you have to wonder 12 months ago what were these testing times that Rob smedley said was looking that that made his best driver on pace not money

It has been an impressive season for Leclerc.

yes i mentioned during qualifying, that the only ferrari drivers to take more poles in a season than leclerc has. is Michael Schumacher & Niki Lauda. not bad for a rookie year. espically as according to some Mercedes have had the dominant car all season

cracking lap by max verstappen, he seems to love this circuit. he should won 2016 & 18. despite qualifying 4th & 5th. so imagine what he do on pole

yes i mentioned during qualifying, that the only ferrari drivers to take more poles in a season than leclerc has. is Michael Schumacher & Niki Lauda. not bad for a rookie year. espically as according to some Mercedes have had the dominant car all season

Yea, I am still withholding my opinion of him as a driver until I see another season. One good season does not a career make. That and I really want to see how Vettel does the first half of next season when he is motivated, and then we shall see how they compare. Not quite ready to declare leclerc as the next great driver, although he has been looking pretty good.

i hope Ruslan that unlike 2017 & 2018 where big 3 closes up & we think that we are in for a fantastic season with red bull mercedes & ferrari all battling for championship. then the other 2 gone backwards, mercedes turn up in melbourne have championships sown up by june/july

i would like to see what verstappen & leclerc are like under pressure of title battle

Back
Top Bottom