Grand Prix 2018 French Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I know you all know this but the phrase Grand Prix means Great Prize, which is a bit of a clue as to the history of motor racing. The first ever Grand Prix took place in France in 1906. There was a race in the first season of the World Championships in 1950 and apart from 1955 (after the Le Mans tragedy) there was a race in France every year up until 2008.

The French Grand Prix was, is and will continue to be part of the history of F1 and the fact that the powers that run Formula One chose to drop it from the calendar from 2008 was a disgrace and insult to the heritage of the sport. Regardless of the finances, there are certain races which must be on the F1 Calendar and France is one of those. Liberty media would do well to look at the history of the sport and learn what the sport needs not just from a financial perspective but also from an historical one.

Anyway, enough of my ranting France is back. Hooray! The race is taking place at Paul Ricard. Hooray, sort of. Why sort of? Well, Paul Ricard has a history in F1 with the race taking place there at various times in the 70's and 80's, sharing duties with the circuit at Dijon Prenois. But the circuit which was used back then has been heavily revised for safety reasons since the 80's. The old back straight was over a mile long and watching the turbo cars of the 80's blast down this was something to behold. After the death of Elio de Angelis a chicane was put in to the straight and then the circuit was shortened. The bizarre thing is de Angelis' death had little to do with the length of the straight and more to do with the poor emergency support at the practice session.

By the way, we shall have to refer to the circuit as Le Castellet otherwise we are giving free advertising to an alcoholic drink maker who only paid for the track to be built. Not like he deserves any credit is it? Perhaps we should now call it the Circuit Bernie Ecclestone, after the current owner. In fairness to Bernie he has invested a lot of money to improve the facilities to the point where it can host a Grand Prix but then he has a lot of money doesn't he.

So along with the emasculated track comes another strange innovation. There are no gravel traps at Le Castellet, instead there are blue and red stripes painted around the edge of the track which are designed to slow the cars down should they enjoy an excursion off road. These painted run off areas are a mix of asphalt and tungsten and the red sections are deeper than the blue so give more grip to the tyres, slowing the cars down. Having watched a WTCC race it is sometimes difficult to work out where the track runs and, reading some stuff to write this article, found out that the circuit has 167 possible configurations. I wonder if any of the drivers will get lost?

Having just got over the "excitement" of Canada I can't be bothered to get too much into where we are in the 2018 championship. Suffice to say that pole will be either from Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull and the winner will also be from one of these teams. The test will be whether Merc bring their upgraded engine to France and if this will get them closer to Ferrari.

Enjoy one of the historically most important races Formula One could have. I hope it will provide some close action but I have a horrible feeling it will struggle to beat the number of overtakes in Canada. It should be better than Monaco though.

Last edited:
So here's a scenario for you. Due to his knowledge of the track and French people power Esteban Ocon is flying along and the best of the rest. He is so quick he is starting to gain ground on the top 6 with Kimi in his sites. He could potentially go to the end on his tyres and could jump in front of the big boys for a great result. Suddenly the Merc of Lewis Hamilton, recently pitted, appears behind him. Will he;

a) pull down his trousers and bend over like he did in Monaco and give up his chance for an amazing result at his home GP

or

b) Fight the pass and go for broke whilst singing La Marseillaise as loud as he can down the radio.

Last edited:
I think in this instance you have to go for the win and show Mercedes he's got the hunger to go for the win

Let's not start about Malaysia 2012 row when Perez in some people's eyes deliberately went off the road so that his potential future employers were going to win

Just seen that channel 4 won't be showing the highlights until after 10pm on Sunday, great. I get to play avoid the result again for a good long while before I get to see it. Oh well, the next two after that are live for me thankfully.

As for Ocon, he's a difficult one to make a call on I'd say. He could go with either scenario Rasputin Lives offered I reckon. I'd like him to go for b, that would be amusing. That is so long as he and his team mate don't have a coming together before we ever get to that point of course.

I know you all know this but the phrase Grand Prix means Great Prize, which is a bit of a clue as to the history of motor racing. The first ever Grand Prix took place in France in 1906. There was a race in the first season of the World Championships in 1950 and apart from 1955 (after the Le Mans tragedy) there was a race in France every year up until 2008.

The French Grand Prix was, is and will continue to be part of the history of F1 and the fact that the powers that run Formula One chose to drop it from the calendar from 2008 was a disgrace and insult to the heritage of the sport. Regardless of the finances, there are certain races which must be on the F1 Calendar and France is one of those. Liberty media would do well to look at the history of the sport and learn what the sport needs not just from a financial perspective but also from an historical one.

Anyway, enough of my ranting France is back. Hooray! The race is taking place at Paul Ricard. Hooray, sort of. Why sort of? Well, Paul Ricard has a history in F1 with the race taking place there at various times in the 70's and 80's, sharing duties with the circuit at Dijon Prenois. But the circuit which was used back then has been heavily revised for safety reasons since the 80's. The old back straight was over a mile long and watching the turbo cars of the 80's blast down this was something to behold. After the death of Elio de Angelis a chicane was put in to the straight and then the circuit was shortened. The bizarre thing is de Angelis' death had little to do with the length of the straight and more to do with the poor emergency support at the practice session.

By the way, we shall have to refer to the circuit as Le Castellet otherwise we are giving free advertising to an alcoholic drink maker who only paid for the track to be built. Not like he deserves any credit is it? Perhaps we should now call it the Circuit Bernie Ecclestone, after the current owner. In fairness to Bernie he has invested a lot of money to improve the facilities to the point where it can host a Grand Prix but then he has a lot of money doesn't he.

So along with the emasculated track comes another strange innovation. There are no gravel traps at Le Castellet, instead there are blue and red stripes painted around the edge of the track which are designed to slow the cars down should they enjoy an excursion off road. These painted run off areas are a mix of asphalt and tungsten and the red sections are deeper than the blue so give more grip to the tyres, slowing the cars down. Having watched a WTCC race it is sometimes difficult to work out where the track runs and, reading some stuff to write this article, found out that the circuit has 167 possible configurations. I wonder if any of the drivers will get lost?

Having just got over the "excitement" of Canada I can't be bothered to get too much into where we are in the 2018 championship. Suffice to say that pole will be either from Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull and the winner will also be from one of these teams. The test will be whether Merc bring their upgraded engine to France and if this will get them closer to Ferrari.

Enjoy one of the historically most important races Formula One could have. I hope it will provide some close action but I have a horrible feeling it will struggle to beat the number of overtakes in Canada. It should be better than Monaco though.
Thanks for your acknowledgment of F1's French history FB. The background of the sport we love will hopefully always be important.

For those that want to watch F1 in the UK without having to pay for Sky this is a perfectly legitimate and legal way to obtain a live feed: Formula 1 Season on RTL | The Satellite Shop

If you already have a satellite dish chances are it will be pointing towards the Astra satellite so you would just need to invest in a new decoder.

cider_and_toast - if you feel this breaches any CTA rules please feel free to delete it.

Angellica Now TV £7.99 for a day pass if you don't want to wait.

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup: much appreciated.

Sadly I just looked into it, and I think I'm reading it right. Seems you either have to have a Sky dish, (which I don't have) or you have to watch it online, which I can't due to health issues. I can only be online for so long, certainly not long enough to watch a race sadly.

It was a nice thought whilst it lasted though.

Last edited:
For those that want to watch F1 in the UK without having to pay for Sky this is a perfectly legitimate and legal way to obtain a live feed: Formula 1 Season on RTL | The Satellite Shop....

Was it five years ago that I posted about having started with this (and sevral times since). I do use Radio 5 Live which is already delayed but don't let me put you off.

The French system looks interesting, has anyone any further information on it?

From what I read, if you don't have a dish you can watch it online as well /instead maybe, but I can't do that either so I stopped reading at that point.
It plays through your TV over an Internet stream. Zero difference to watching TV and watching a live stream on tv.

It plays through your TV over an Internet stream. Zero difference to watching TV and watching a live stream on tv.

Our tv doesn't do that. We did get a Chromecast but we couldn't get it to work properly, most of the time it wouldn't connect, when it did it kept breaking up.

RTL is on Astra1 19deg East, Sky and Freesat are on Astra2 at 28deg East, you can purchase an arm and second LNB which attaches to your present LNB arm enabling you to watch programmes from both satellites. You will need, apart from the arm and LNB another cable from the new LNB to a separate decoder, there are plenty of cheap decoders (£45 or less) similar to the Aldi/Lidl caravan sets. The second arm works on most dishes, however the Sky dish is of a different shape to a standard dish and may not work with the arm, or just set up the cheap caravan dish sets where you can receive the signal from Astra1 possibly from a window with the 50cm dish supplied, they work anywhere in the UK but are susceptible to heavy rain and snow storms due to the weaker signal.

Back
Top Bottom