Grand Prix 2017 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So every year I write the Singapore intro thread. I have concluded from this that I am the only person who actually likes the Singapore Grand Prix. I know it’s a hastily put together micky mouse street circuit in a country with no fan base, but I can’t help it, I think it looks amazing under the lights and I love the closed in walled racing. I know Bahrain and Abu Dhabi do night racing now but just something about Singapore that gets me excited. I guess it’s a bit like the way Monaco gets me excited. I know we’re not going to get a lot of overtaking and the race might have some very dull moments but I can’t help but enjoy it. I think its just something about the tension of street circuits I like. The fact that it could all go wrong at any moment is just good watching.

This is the 10th Singapore Grand Prix and all 9 previous races have talking points. The most notorious one of course was the very first race in 2008 where the result was Nelson Piqueted after a conspiracy to fix the result. Pat Symonds is back now days so I’m hoping Sky will go over to him live on the pit wall and ask “So Pat is now a good time to get one of your drivers to deliberately crash?” – I doubt they will though as the whole thing has been brushed under the carpet. The driver the result was fixed to please was of course Fernando Alonso, although he knew nothing about it. Apparently. For legal purposes that's all I'm saying. Alonso was at the time in a team that used to be a front runner but had slipped to the back and not getting results. Alonso has been increasingly frustrated all season, sounding off in the press and the media and saying he was leaving to join a competitive team to get his third title. How times change huh?

For a change I thought I’d do a team by team look through:

Mercedes:

Thanks to a combination of engine jiggery pokery with the rules and some great form by Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes have powered their way back to the front through the high speed circuits. Singapore is a very different kettle of fish though and will certainly pull them back to the rest of the grid. Their saving factor will of course be Lewis Hamilton’s good form and he is pretty nifty round Singapore even if he hasn’t got the results he sometimes deserved. Bottas was obviously told during the summer that he is a number 2 driver and has slipped into the background and I expect that to continue.

Ferrari:

Ladies and Gentlemen we are now entering the Vettel zone! Yes the back end of the season (excluding the US and Brazil) has always been a sweet patch for Seb and I fully expect that to continue. He has always been top notch around Singapore and I think he’s probably favourite to win. His team mate on the other hand has an awful record at Singapore. I expect him to hit a wall or another car and then complain about it on the radio.

Red Bull:

This track has to be viewed by Red Bull as somewhere they can win. Ricciardo jokingly said he expected to lap the whole field in Singapore. He is pretty sharp round here like all street circuits and if he sniffs a win or a podium he usually goes all out. As does his team mate Max Verstappen. Usually I’d make a comment about Max, street circuits and walls but he is much improved on that front this year. I imagine he’ll be able to compete for the win as long as his car holds together. Everyone seems very keen to have a Ricciardo vs Verstappen fight (as long as Verstappen wins)

Force India:

Apparently the two Force India drivers aren’t allowed to race anymore. We never got to find out if either of them agreed to that as Ocon was away in the distance from Perez. This is a trend I expect to continue. I’m pretty sure Perez has brought a safety car out at every single Singapore Grand Prix he has raced at.

Williams:

Everyone is praising Williams return to form and coming back to the front. They were on high speed circuits though. Back to the back here, do not pass go, do not collect £200

Haas:

Haas seem to be on an upward spiral at the moment but this hasn’t stopped Grosjean complaining about everyone and everything. Magnussen has impressed me with his resolve and attitude this year and seems to be a match for Grosjean most of the time. I’m hoping he’ll have some close combat with Hulkenberg and talk about balls again.

Torro Rosso:

Has anyone seen Torro Rosso recently? Do they still race anymore?

Renault:

There are signs that the Renault could be a competitive car but they are very fleeting. Hulkenberg is pretty much just going about his business but even he has struggled to get results. Palmer has so many car issues even his transponder has stopped working and was shown as 4 laps down in monaza at one point despite running 13th. Palmer has found himself in an intense unlikely rivalry with Alonso in the last couple of races. Basically Palmer came on the radio in Spa and complained that Alonso ran him off the road. Everyone knows complaining on the radio is Alonso’s thing so its no wonder he is annoyed. Palmer actually has good form round here. I remember him winning the GP2 race, held in the searing heat of the day back then, by a country mile. He certainly needs to start clocking results.

Sauber:

Sauber like Torro Rosso have gone MIA but we do see them on occasions because their drivers like to collide with each other at least once a race. Marcus Ericson (This will be his 70th Grand Prix by the way which seems crazy) is allowed to hit Wehrlein as much as he likes because he owns the team. Wehrlein is very gloomy as he’s gone from being about to jump into a Mercedes seat to not being in F1 next year. When he and Ocon tested for Force India they were very evenly match but Force India took Ocon because the mechanics got on with him better. If only someone had told Wehrlein being nice to people would get him places! I've never really been able to decide whether I rate Wehrlein or not but being made to go back and race DTM does make me feel sorry for the lad.

Mclaren:

What to say about Mclaren? Well Singapore should even things out engine wise for them and as they are meant to have one of the best chassis should put them in the mix. This is assuming of course that the cars keep running. Its not being talked about much but Vandorne is pretty much keeping pace with Alonso – certainly within in the last few races. He was 10 seconds ahead in Monza before his engine packed up. Vandorne vs Alonso would be a fight well worth watching. Lets hope the engines hold out. On a serious note though I expect both Mclarens to have top 10 finishes and Alonso could even come alive and push close to a podium - lets hope its not after a safety car caused by this team mate though.

So that’s the scene for Singapore. It could be a classic or it could be dull as dishwater. Whichever it is it will certainly look good!

Last edited:
I hope Galeals car was full of fuel and had some sandbags attached to it.

when talking about who would replace sainz on different thread. i was talking about gelael & how head of red bull youth driver programme needs sacking, then sectioning. if that guy ever get a full drive in f1 because ive watched in F2 for the last 2 years is dreadful he makes Hayiarnto, Ide or Yamamoto look like Vettel or Lewis. unfortunately 3 seconds to kyvat is seemingly about right.

DJxNlDJXUAAF7Qu.jpg

F1Brits_90 Have you ever compared Haryantos record with that of Gelael? Haryanto may not have been the crème de la crème, but he had some race wins under his belt and some decent races in GP2. Haryanto is also much better than Ide and Yamamoto, who never succeeded at anything in junior categories.

It was difficult to gage Maldonado who bought lots of money , he won the last race for Williams and he has won GP2. The speed was there but so were the accidents. He is the reason why Nico Hulkenberg has not kicked on in his F1 career .

Had Hulkenberg been in the same car he would have had a lot of podiums by now

Il_leone The reason why Hülkenberg is not with a top team is also bad management. German media reported that he got close to a deal with Ferrari in 2013or 2014, but that his manager demanded more money and some other conditions to be fulfilled by Ferrari. Thus, Ferrari signed Raikkonen instead.

i always say hulkenburg is up there with kubica (im also going to it out there as didnt realise this guy was as old as he was) Riccardio that will end up since ive been watching f1 as 1 of the best drivers never to be world champion. because im a huge fan of his talent & im always confused because i dont see what more the guy can do to impress, is world champion in waiting given the car

Rutherford Apparently he did sign a contract with Ferrari but I can't believe he is was demanding the same salary that Kimi gets so really I don't buy it unless his manager was somehow trying to convince Ferrari he is the next Schumacher. Then again Ferrari do think irrationally. It worked with Ralf Schumacher convincing Toyota paying him more money than he was worth.

-------------------------------------------------

Ricciardo I feel tomorrow if he gets himself settled for the race tomorrow after lap 1 could well win the race. That was a storming lap from Vettel but I wonder how much damage did the car took from the whack against the wall.

Verstappen might go for another lunge on the inside if he does not get bogged down at the start.

The track is hard to pass but the Red Bulls appear to have the race pace so if things don't change at the end they might try and do what they did last year where Ricciardo was put on the fastest tyre and just ran out of laps before the flag

What an amazing lap by Sebastian Vettel. Once again, he has proven to be the cream of the crop when it comes to qualifying. His precision and aggressiveness was astonishing as always.
I could watch it over and over again:

Grid should make for an interesting race. Ferrari had the engine turned up to 11 and Vettel took advantage of it. The Red Bull's may be closer on race pace but if Vettel can get away in front we should see a couple of laps of the like we used to see in his Red Bull WDC seasons.

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Pos - No - Driver - Qual - Ideal min - Dif
1 - 5 - S.VETTEL - 01:39,491 - 01:39,491 - 00,000
2 - 33 - M.VERSTAPPEN - 01:39,814 - 01:39,696 - 00,118
3 - 3 - D.RICCIARDO - 01:39,840 - 01:39,709 - 00,131
4 - 7 - K.RAIKKONEN - 01:40,069 - 01:39,954 - 00,115
5 - 44 - L.HAMILTON - 01:40,126 - 01:40,099 - 00,027
6 - 77 - V.BOTTAS - 01:40,810 - 01:40,725 - 00,085
7 - 27 - N.HULKENBERG - 01:41,013 - 01:40,896 - 00,117
9 - 2 - S.VANDOORNE - 01:41,398 - 01:41,170 - 00,228
8 - 14 - F.ALONSO - 01:41,179 - 01:41,173 - 00,006
10 - 55 - C.SAINZ - 01:42,056 - 01:41,523 - 00,533

stunning lap from Vettel that pole lap for me as good as laps we've seen from Lewis in Montreal & monza as when he set that i thought wow. the qualy mode helped without doubt but its only part of it as Kimi 4th. the precision of the lap is brilliant with the pressure on. but the 1st corner or run down to breaking zone after the 1st sector. will be fascinating because if Verstappen or Riccardio sticks 1 up the inside will he yeild & think of the championship. because they have nothing to lose. but i said on friday, its early but if lewis still has the lead of world championship leaving singapore. the title race is as good as dead

Aren't Ferrari are allowed to inspect their car and repair any damage that has been done on the grounds of driver safety Il_leone? Of so the impact with the wall wouldn't matter.

Bill Boddy I would believe so but then the damage might be first visible and might be something that will happen as the race goes on but surely they won't be as daft as last year when they told Vettel to stay out on 3 wheels during quali?

Back
Top Bottom