Grand Prix 2016 European Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As if to highlight the madness of a 21 race calendar, no sooner have the champagne bubbles dried on the Montreal podium and every team will be frantically packing to have their gear sent 5552 miles around the world to Baku in Azerbaijan. This must be without doubt the longest distance between back to back races in F1 history.

Azerbaijan is located in the Transcaucasia region between south west Asia and south eastern Europe. With a population of 10 million people it has a high rate of economic development and ranks on par with many European countries for human development, literacy and living standards. Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan, sitting on the Caspian sea is a UNESCO world heritage site. A city that has grown through the discovery of oil, it is now home to over a fifth of the population of the country.

Quite how this race came to be given the European Grand Prix tag, I'm not quite sure. Azerbaijan did win the 2011 Eurovision song contest so this may have had something to do with it but we'll never now. If that is the case, we may expect the European GP tag to be awarded to Australia at some point in the future.

The name 'Grand Prix of Europe' was given to races as an honorific title originating in 1925 and from 1950 onward, specifically in Formula 1. That was until 1983 when, at the 11th hour, Bernie was once again let down by the organising team of the New York Grand Prix. Brands Hatch circuit were able to step in with 3 months notice and thus that years calendar contained the first 'stand alone' GP of Europe. The event itself was deemed a major success and so the decision was made to continue with an event given that title. For 84 the race moved to a re-designed Nurburgring before moving back to Brands Hatch in 85 for the last but one F1 race to be held there. For a short while, Europe's once again dropped from the schedule to be replaced by Hungary. It then reappeared to be held at a rain soaked Donington park in 1994. Moving between Jerez, the Nurburgring and finally the much loathed Valencia, the race has finally ended up at Baku for this season. What makes this unusual is that normally the European GP title was given to the second race to be held in a country in a calendar year.

The track itself at 6km long is the second longest of the season after Spa. It winds its way through the old town of Baku and through some insanely narrow sections. It also contains a 2.2km straight before the start finish line. Everyone's favourite circuit designer Herman Tilke has been behind the pencil on this project. Supposedly designed to be the fastest street circuit in the world, what the lap times will be like here are anyone's guess. Expect the grip to be non existent for the best part of the weekend until the cars lay some rubber into the track. I would imagine there will be plenty of scenes of damaged carbon fibre, especially on Friday.

As for the teams, it looks like this is going to be a power circuit. Judging by their respective performances in Canada, Mercedes should have the advantage here but it's clear that Ferrari and Red Bull are now hot on their heels. With Bottas also putting in a decent shift at Montreal and the Mercedes engine in the back of his Williams, a fourth team enters the mix when it comes to belting down that insanely long straight. Nimble handling will be required around the narrow twist section between turns 5 and 13 so a well balanced car could make up some ground here.

It's almost impossible to predict anything beyond that. As I said above, the low level of initial grip, the new circuit layout and the fact that Canada has shown that the Mercedes lead is no longer as totally dominant as it once was, could see an almighty dust up or it could lead to a snooze-fest. For those who don't pay Murdoch's sport viewing ransom, the race will be shown live on C4. I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm actually looking forward to it.

There may have been a lot wrong with F1 safety in the past but the need to hold a non championship event prior to holding a full blown race always seemed like the most sensible thing to do.

As there aren't any non-championship races anymore that is a bit of a problem. I think the last one was in 1979 at Imola. A GP2 race the season before wouldn't go amiss though.

Yeah, I know. Just having a 'it wasn't all bad in the old days' moment

I agree, a GP2 race to test out all of the systems would have been ideal.

Which new circuit was it that had some many problems that the race was cancelled or delayed? I have a vague memory of Korea but am probably wrong.

I was just going to mention Korea. Only Chandhok got to lap that circuit before the F1 meeting started.

The problem though was that the circuit didn't have anywhere to drain water and the race was SC started, aborted, delayed, run until Seb's fireworks, and then everybody left tip-toed their way home in the dark.

Doing a bit of background on Baku for the opening post, it would seem the biggest issue the country faces is a huge amount of corruption at all levels.

469459586-supremo-bernie-ecclestone-laughs-as-he-gettyimages.jpg

Well cider_and_toast , we now know why there is an untested new F1 track about to spring into being.

Corrupt met Corupt.

How long will this track last? When will drivers start to use their muscle to stop this madness.

Drivers ..... You have a voice, man up, and clean the sport up.

FP1 and FP2 should be fun with winds of 40 mph+, by FP3 it should have calmed down to 17 mph with qualifying at 16 mph and a calm race day with winds of 11 mph and falling. It should be dry for the whole time. The race starts at 17:00 with sunset being at 20:14.

BBC Weather - Baku

A slightly odd thing is that on the F1 page there is a lack of information about the length of the course, the number of laps and the race distance. Maybe they will be playing it by ear, it could come as a bit of the shock if the race is longer than the teams expect!

Europe

Spa is 7.004 kms long and 44 laps so Baku is going to come in around the 50 lap mark at a guess.

I'm really looking forward to this one - there's a lot of potential for binning it around the old town sector and a chaotic race.

Titch, according to Ted Kravitz when he cycled the route while there earlier in the year, the locals were a bit peeved that their swanky city streets had become a building site full of snarled-up traffic so the track could be prepared. In the spirit of F1 I suspect the same locals will exploit the situation for financial gain by bunging en extra 50%+ on everything from handbags to helicopter rides, as is their wont. I'm wondering if the good people of F1 are prepared for Baku.

Not so sure about the venue for the old Azkaban grand Prix and having it on the same weekend as Le Mans is just dementor.

Still - we've got a really close matched field at the moment especially on a track like this (I love a street circuit) so I imagine it'll be a good race.

I expect Red Bull back at the front and Ferrari slipping back a bit with Merc a constant.

Really looking forward to it apparently a high speed street track. Intrigued to see how f1 cars go around the castle bit because that is tight. Ted kravitz is very excited after his recce

But what hasnt helped is the ridiculousness of FIA there are 52 weeks of the year. they cant get le mans & f1 gp on separate weeks. Even f1 starting at 3pm instead of 2pm would help massively. That even before we get into the barbaric 9,000km & 15hr flight montreal to baku double header.

013016_motor_baku_pi.png

Back
Top Bottom