Grand Prix 2015 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Next stop Singapore for a race you either love or hate. Its F1’s premier night race and whilst the racing has not always been amazing its always looked magnificent. Unlike the Monza horse powerfest this place is not all about the grunt of your engine, which could possibly be good name for us. As much as I admire Lewis Hamilton’s skill and I think he’s on amazing form this year I don’t want to just be watching time trials. I want to see him pushed to go even better and its quite possible we might get that this time out. Nico Rosberg’s engine in flames in Italy pretty much spells the end of any sort of title race so now its all about pride and one upmanship from here on out.

Why? Well the temperature will play a part. The Ferrari has always looked better in warmer weather and they are certainly better on their tyres. We all know when Vettel gets a sniff of it like in Malaysia he suddenly comes alive and Singapore has always been a track he’s been good on. The other part is the fact that the Red Bull’s will certainly come into play here as well. The Renault engine won’t hinder them as much as it has done and we all know how good that chassie is. Ricciardo and Kvyat have both been chomping at the bit to show what they can do and I expect them to jump in the mix like they did at Hungary and Monaco. The great news as well is that they’ve altered the track layout slightly in order to give more overtaking opportunities. If that works and, like I predict Ferrari and Red Bull will be closer, we might maybe possibly have a fight for a race win.

Another team looking forward to Singapore will be Mclaren whose Honda engine will be less of a millstone round their neck. Alonso has been talking about how good they will be at Singapore and after yet another DNF in Italy you have to wonder how much pressure the team feel to give their superstar something to get excited about. I saw Alonso talking to Flavio on the gird last time out. Button into the pitwall anyone?

Williams won’t be looking forward to this one as much as they will probably sink back into the pack. Even if they don’t I’m sure tactically they’ll find a way to put themselves back there. Force India’s B car will be fully up and running but I don’t expect them to be up where they’ve been for the last couple of races due to the circuit. Will the Enstone team even managed to make it there? I can see them taking the option of skipping the flyaway to save money and keep the team afloat.

This race is always going to look beautiful given the setting and the cars under the lights but I think what F1 needs and we all want is and actual race. I’m strangely optimistic we might get one.

But you can if you are 2 laps down with 3 laps to go when the rest retire due to collisions to avoid BE wandering around on the track.

You can't win from laps down though

-----------------------------------------

Gerhard Berger id at the 1995 Brazilian GP, albeit for a mere fortnight. He was third on the track and one lap down on first-place Schumacher but both Schumacher and Coulthard in second were disqualified following fuel sample discrepancies by the Renault-powered teams. The disqualifications were overturned on appeal.

Back
Top Bottom