Grand Prix 2015 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It is not the most popular of Grand Prix circuits. It is tight and twisty, staggeringly difficult to overtake on, and not especially scenic. Its nicknames hardly inspire confidence - "Monaco without the walls", "the Dustbowl", "Hungaboring". They're also not especially fair.

This is the circuit of the first Grand Prix of the Eastern Bloc, still the only one in that huge area of land between the Berlin Wall and the Black Sea. It is a circuit where the dominant team often fails to dominate: not the only circuit where Red Bull and Mercedes shared the wins between 2013 and 2014, but the only one where they won in the wrong order!

It has been the scene of some drama in the last 10 years as well! 2006 saw Alonso and Schumacher gain separate and equal time penalties before qualifying, and both fail to finish as Button took his inaugural spoils in the rain. 2007 saw the spark which lead to the McLaren implosion. 2008 saw Massa recover his form from a tough summer, but his engine to fail allowing in Kovalainen. 2009 saw the slowest circuit in the world see KERS big break through for Hamilton's McLaren. 2010 was the year of Vettel and 10 car lengths, handing Webber an underserved win. McLaren had a wet battle royale in 2011, when Button made the right calls to take the honours. 2012 saw Grosjean piling on the pressure on Hamilton for half the race, before losing out to both the Englishman and Raikkonen. 2013 was Hamilton's first win for Mercedes. 2014 saw Ricciardo and Alonso hold off the Mercedes.

Hamilton, of course, could well count this his best circuit. He's had 4 victories - each time with Raikkonen second. Vettel has never won here - there's been no German win since 2004. Raikkonen has had to wait since 2005. McLaren have secured a lot of the victories in the last 10 years, but they're obviously going to need divine intervention here. Both of their drivers won their only victory before their respective title years here.

I doubt there'll be too much overtaking, but it often delivers intrigue and interest. Budapest is now a circuit with true history in F1. Will it be a Mercedes win? Well, it doesn't always follow...

FP1 results, Merc fastest...

1) Lewis Hamilton 2) Nico Rosberg 3) Kimi Raikkonen 4) Daniel Ricciardo 5) Daniil Kvyat 6) Sebastian Vettel 7) Carlos Sainz 8) Sergio Perez 9) Valtteri Bottas 10) Max Verstappen 11) Fernando Alonso 12) Jenson Button 13) Nico Hulkenberg 14) Felipe Massa 15) Felipe Nasr 16) Marcus Ericsson 17) Pastor Maldonado 18) Will Stevens 19) Fabio Leimer 20) Jolyon Palmer

Interesting that McLaren are up at 11 and 12. I was reading the other day that in practice and qualie they can spend a lap recovering energy for the KERS system and then set a decent lap time. In the race, however, this isn't possible so they go backwards.

As others have said I'm notsure it' ll make that much difference here but I've been watching bits off FP2 and that Williams really has incredible top speed. A full 10K quicker in the speed traps than anybody else, including the Merc.

Then they have to get out and push it round the corners.... Williams must be looking forward to Monza though.

How many engines have Red Bull got through? Apparently Danny Ric's motor has just gone pop.

It is not the most popular of Grand Prix circuits. It is tight and twisty, staggeringly difficult to overtake on, and not especially scenic. Its nicknames hardly inspire confidence - "Monaco without the walls", "the Dustbowl", "Hungaboring". They're also not especially fair.
You know what's not fair?
I was enjoying a nice break from F:bangfists:1 thinking that, even with the current mess, Spa can maybe liven the season up.
Then yesterday my ****ing t'internet calendar told me I had a Grand Prix weekend. :givemestrength:

Well, I'm going here Saturday evening
warsaw national stadium - Szukaj w Google
to see these
Hopefully too hung over on Sunday to care!

Last edited:
FB, I think they've used 5 on Danny's car but the one that went bang was engine number 4 so they can fit engine number 5 (last used at Silverstone) without penalty because the wrappers have already come off that one.

I couldn't believe it was live footage at the time. Alan McNish was yattering away, and continued to do so as Perez's car rolled over in front of us. It was quite spectacular. I'm very glad he's alright.

I do like to make it clear. If Roger Williamson and Elio de Angelis can happen in an open top, a cockpit canopy simply proliferates such occurrences.

It's utterly ****ing stupid, in other words.

Last edited:
Dizzi per chat.
screenshot.64.jpg

Back
Top Bottom