Grand Prix 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So, after the thrills and (mainly) spills that was Australia, we move onto the greenhouse that is Malaysia for the second round of the championship. Situated just outside of the capital Kuala Lumpur, the Sepang International Circuit is fast, flowing, has numerous overtaking opportunities and is a real test for the driver, partly down to the inevitable and often oppressive heat and humidity. With the new regulations for this year, expect numerous driver errors and for the cars to be placed under immense mechanical pressure.

The Sepang circuit is the first of the Tilke circuits and the GP's inaugural year in 1999 paved the way for the Asian expansion of Formula 1, with races in China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Korea and India added to the calendar in recent years - although the last two have since departed from the travelling circus that is F1.

When one thinks of Malaysia, rain is one of the fist thoughts that occur. The race has been affected numerous times, most notably in 2001, 2009 (the race was unable to be finished, so half-points were awarded), qualifying in 2010 (two Ferraris and two McLarens at the back of the grid) and in 2012. With the high heat & humidity threatening to spark off rain showers any time, expect rain to play a big part in the weekend.

As for the pecking order, it is mainly unclear apart from the fact that Mercedes are miles in front of anyone else, and those with a Mercedes engine are all doing reasonably well. However, it is McLaren leading the constructors championship after a 3rd and 4th in Melbourne. Whilst it may not seem significant now, the points accrued in the early races may be pivotal in the championship as after all, every race is worth the same (oh wait, that's not right).

For some stupid reason, we now have to wait for two weeks before the race weekend, so there's plenty of time for discussion, dissection and disagreement.

So..... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!!

Magnussen was give 5sec stop and go for causing a crash so I was a bit surprised when Ricciardo was given 10seconds for the unsafe release. The wheels didn't even come off and there was no car in sight.

Quintessentially Does anyone else think a 5 seconds stop and go penalty after a pit stop is ridiculous as a punishment for needlessly ruining a drivers race. We've gone from one extreme to another. Previously the penalty of going through the pits would be like 20 seconds, now we're down to 5 seconds?

I don't think Ricciardo's punishment is harsh, just that he shouldn't be punished twice. That's the ridiculous part. Completely agree that teams need a punishment for unsafe releases. I actually think 2.5 seconds is too quick for a pit stop. Maybe they should have some kind of regulated limit where if you do a pit stop in under 5 seconds you get penalised. Even if that means you have to sit there for 2.5 seconds. That's if we're interested in safety; I don't support it from a racing pov.

Yeah I think losing the points 4th place would have given them would have been incentive enough. Sounds a little bit like some equipment failure as the gun triggered the green light but hadn't connected. I know it's no excuse but I think they should either give one or the other, two is overboard.

no-FIAt-please - I'm not surprised at all. If you look at Hamilton's first 11 wins, he was in the refuelling era - from 1994-2009 there were only 8 Grand Chelems total [MSC 5, DHI 1, HAK 2]. He pilfered 7 wins from Red Bull in 2010, 2011 and 2013, where the energy drink lot were generally too quick. Which leaves 4 wins in 2012 as his only realistic chances.

You need to be in a dominant car for them, in general. The current field has now 6 Chelems between them [ALO - SIN 2010 VET - IND 2011, JPN 2012, SIN 2013, KOR 2013 HAM - MAY 2013] which shows just how difficult it is to get your hands on one considering Vettel's dominance at the back end of last year.

And they're all in Asia...

You tell him Nico!

NR: First of all the start, I had a really good start, so I was happy about that because it’s not so easy this year. The rear tyres are harder and we have more torque. So it’s very difficult to get it right - but it felt great and got away well and then Sebastian, I thought he was going to put me right into the wall, but he stopped just before - so thank you for that!
SV: I had a similar experience last year…
NR: …that doesn’t make it right to do it again! My heartbeat skipped a beat a little bit but I kept right on it, it was OK anyway, it wasn’t that bad.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/3/15639.html

Wombcat Are you going to tell Seb that or should I? I think Massa did the right thing for himself. It's like Ted said, "how could you do that to Felipe after everything that happened at Ferrari". It does make Massa sound like he has just got about of an abusive relationship.

Wombcat Are you going to tell Seb that or should I? I think Massa did the right thing for himself. It's like Ted said, "how could you do that to Felipe after everything that happened at Ferrari". It does make Massa sound like he has just got about of an abusive relationship.
Good he's not a girl :p

I feel Massa did the right thing. At least use another words for him like "Let pass Valterri to catch Button" or something like that.

FM: Did you see what he did? He tried to crash me?

Williams to Bottas: Valteri please hold back and allow Massa to pass Magnusen and follow through cleanly

VB: Tell him to get on with it then because I'm quicker.

LOL

Ahhh fun and games at Williams the entire race.

I have no objection to anyone ignoring team orders as long as they can prove their point.

It is not enough to believe one is better than one's team-mate, and if the team are doubting that at any given time, one has to pick up one's game and put them back in their box.

"Do you understand?"

Back
Top Bottom