Grand Prix 2014 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The "European" Season continues in Canada at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Last year Vettel took pole and the win, somehow this season it doesn't look likely that there will be a repeat, rather we will see the two Mercedes drivers battling things out for win seven out of seven as Hamilton and Rosberg share the races out between them.

After Monaco Rosberg has returned to the top the drivers championship but is 4-2 down to Hamilton in race wins. Lewis likes Canada so perhaps this race will see things tip back in his favour. The big question will be the inter-team dynamic after Monaco. Rosberg's pole appears to have rankled Hamilton and he questioned the team tactics regarding the safety car. Perhaps a pole to flag win for the Englishman will put these things to the back of his mind.

Red Bull and Ferrari will battle to be the best of the rest, with Daniel Ricciardo proving that the decision to give him the "second" Red Bull seat has been more than justified. Force India, Toro Ross and McLaren will, almost certainly, be battling for the final places in the top 10 in both qualie and race with Hulkenberg and Perez likely to come out on top but pushed hard, especailly by Danial Kvyat who is looking to be a genuine talent. Quite how Lotus will perform remains to be seen with both cars and drivers blowing hot and cold in the first races of the season.

Marussia are unlikely to repeat their points scoring antics in Montreal but the lift the result in Monaco will have given them will hopefully propel them forward and bring interest from new sponsors. Sauber and Caterham will be at the back, or perhaps they will create a shock and suddenly find some pace.

So another Mercedes win, almost certainly. Which of the Mercedes drivers takes the win could have a huge effect on the rest of the season. Let's hope the for a good race. As well as your top 3 predictions I'd welcome your suggestions for victims of the Wall of Champions 2014.

Top 3 in the race:

1 - Hamilton
2 - Bottas
3 - Ricciardo

Top 3 for the 'Champions' wall:

1 - Rosberg
2 - Kimi
3 - Maldonado

Love Canada but its not produced a great race in the last 2 years. Hoping for change. I can't see much past Hamilton at Canada on a normal season that'll own with a car like the Merc though - as long as his heads in the game.

Last edited:
Chad Stewarthill - if your going to predict the predict big!

We've seen Rosberg make errors when he's been trying to chase Lewis down. I think he'll be in that position in Canada hence I predict wall (or somewhere).

Bottas is good round here and the Williams will be helped by the ooompph of the Merc engine.

Kimi has been unstable with the back end of that Ferrari all year so is a prime candidate for pushing it to close to the wall.

Do I really have to explain Maldonado?

Ahhh I misunderstood. I agree with you but I believe as long as he's in front his head will be in the game.

If Nico pips him for pole then we might have more fun and games.

Last edited:
The Groundhogs will be watching with beaverish excitement:
hi-philmarmotte-852-8col.jpg

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a power circuit, so the Mercedes engines are a real asset. However, fuel consumption is not much of an issue, so the Ferrari engines will do relatively well too. Hamilton is the clear favorite, as he's always very fast around the street circuit. In 2007 he won his first ever Grand Prix. He also won in 2010 and 2012, although he messed up in 2008 and in the rainy circumstances in 2011. However, his mental state is worrying and he may well be his own worst enemy, so then he might even lose the race to Rosberg. However, when it's raining, the Red Bulls or even the Ferraris may have a good chance to challenge the Mercedes'. The McLarens and Toro Rossos seem to be doing well on street circuits, possibly because their lack of downforce doesn't hurt them as much as on other tracks. On the contrary, the Lotus' will probably struggle and the Sauber drivers may be the most likely candidates for the Wall of Champions.

Out of the current champions, there are 2 who haven't crashed into the Wall of Champions; Alonso and Hamilton ... the pressure is on them ...

Back
Top Bottom