Grand Prix 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So here it is, the season finale and the two Mercedes drivers go in to it with the chance of taking the title. Hamilton leads Rosberg by 17 points so a repeat of the result in Brazil makes Lewis the Champion but double points means that the permutations are almost endless (boringly endless that is).

Two titles have already been sown up. Mercedes are constructors Champions and Nico Rosberg is the Pole Position Champion. Hands up all those who thought he would beat Lewis in qualifying? No one? Thought not. There will be a few other cars and drivers at the race but, frankly, all most of us will be interested in is which of the Merc drivers comes out on top. With 10 wins to 6 Lewis would have won on Bernie's Gold Medal system but then the Ring Master decided that simply winning races isn't enough and to keep things "interesting" decided making one race result worth twice that of any other was a good idea. I wonder what craziness will be visited on us fans next year. Perhaps something for a separate discussion.

Back to the race, this is the one which starts in the sunshine and then gets dark and it has the weird pit lane which makes the cars look like they are leaving a multi-storey car park. For anyone going, Ferrari World is just outside the circuit, somehow I don't think it will be Ferrari World inside.

Anyone got any other thoughts? Can Williams steal a win? Will McLaren carry on improving? Will this be Jenson Button's final race in F1? Sebastian Vettel will be saying goodbye to Red Bull, Sutil and Gutierrez will, most likely, be saying goodbye to F1 and we've already said goodbye to Caterham and Marussia.

Hope you are sitting comfortably, let the final race begin.

Last edited:
Well Adrian Newey is Red Bulls highly regarded designer , and as he's leaving they can point the finger at him and plead innocence. Job done, problem resolved.
:whistle:

Even with their cheating Vettel has looked ordinary to say the least. If it weren't for the off throttle blown diffuser which the team and Vettel were able to exploit so effectively I wonder how many titles Vettel would have managed, on an equal playing field, if there is such a thing, not many if any I think. Maybe I'm being harsh, he deserved one possibly two if I'm generous.

I have read a bunch of different F1 websites and it's still a mystery to me why Red Bull is getting off with a light slap on the wrist. It was an intentional attempt to cheat, bounce them out of the next 3 races. As for Lewis/Nico battle, I hope Lewis plays it safe and takes no chances in the race, I want him to get another Championship. Here's a video from the last time Lewis and Nico were fighting for a Championship:

Actually Rosberg does not need to fight for the lead. The lowest positions that Hamilton has had this season have been two thirds when he has started at/near the back. So Hamilton either finishes in the top two or retires, either way Rosberg can do nothing about it. Unfortunately the broadcasters are trying to make a big thing of it, throwing up near impossible events and calling them likely.

Brogan - There is one issue with that...

Error.png

It looks like reliability is going to put the final nail in the coffin for Rosberg, although I think Hamilton has controlled the race comfortably from the start.

Someone will have to explain why Hamilton was pleading with the team, towards the end, not to turn up the power on the car ? Does that mean that teams can actually control the engines from the pit lane? If so they don' t need drivers to do more than steer . Surely it's not legal?

Back
Top Bottom