Grand Prix 2013 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Formula 1 just got even more interesting.

After the inter-team shenanigans that unfortunately was the main talking point of the Malaysian weekend, Formula 1 returns to the concrete wilderness that is the Shanghai International Circuit in, er, Shanghai for surely the most anticipated race weekend of the season. Inevitably, the chat will be about team-mates; or more specifically the relationship (or lack of it) between Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber. It remains to be seen as to whether the two Red Bull drivers will kiss and make up or whether their relationship will deteriorate further. (I don't want to sound dictatorial but it would be useful if we mainly talk about the upcoming race weekend, rather than having this thread hijacked by arguments relating to the team order fiasco of the last one).

But there is much more to talk about. We can't really conclude much at the moment, as we have had two unpredicatble weekends in terms of the weather. But we can conclude that the Red Bulls are rather fast, the Lotii are rather adept at conserving their tyres, Massa has raised his game to Alonso, Mclaren may be showing green shoots of recovery, Marussia Jules Bianchi has impressed and Caterham are nowhere.
However there are still many questions to be answered. Can Red Bull maintain their pace advantage over the others? Can Mercedes win again at the scene of their first victory since the 1950's? Will Mclaren start sorting their season out? Can Marussia catch up to the midfield? Will Force India be able to carry out a pitstop in under a minute? And can Paul DiResta ever give an exciting interview? All these questions will (hopefully) be answered in just over two weeks' time.

If grey is your favourite colour, then the Chinese Grand Prix is the event for you. The expansive concrete paddock, along with the overstated grandstands, the large run-off areas and the ever-approaching city ensure that the Chinese Grand Prix is one of the more corporate events on the calendar. But at least the race can advocate the open, liberal society that is China, so that's alright. A quick word on attendance for the race - they were dwindling but the Chinese seem to have given the event a proper go which is good (for Bernie at least).

However, don't be fooled by the initial uninspiring characteristics- this event has thrown up some brilliant races. How about Nico Rosberg's maiden win last year, in which Kimi Raikkonen went from 2nd to 14th in one lap? Or the tyre-influenced drama of 2011, where Lewis Hamilton overtook Vettel for the lead with four laps to go? Throw in a couple of stonking wet races, and Lewis Hamilton's pit lane heartbreak in 2007, and you have some memorable races. All at a circuit which is flat, soulless, uninspiring and was built to look like a Chinese character (that's true by the way).

Here are these past race highlights (UK users only, although I'm sure that there are some nice videos on Youtube):
2006 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7992260.stm
2007 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7992265.stm
2009 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/8006795.stm
2010 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/8628045.stm
2011 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/13108629
2012 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17719946

It's too early for a weather forecast, although we have had sun, rain and cloud in the past so who knows what type of race we will have.
In terms of coverage, it will the the BBC's first live weekend of the year so for those of us who don't have Sky, remember to get up early!!

For superb circuit write-ups, overtaking stats and other useful stuff, there are some nice clickable buttons at the top of the page, called Race Hub and Overtaking. They won't bite.

All that remains is for me to say Ready, Steady, Discuss!

Agree. I'm going to record it. Watch the start. Then watch most of the race on fast forward.

Over here in the states, I'm having a very hard time defending F1 to the Americans. Between the team orders, and the tires which prevent a car being driven flat out, people here are arguing that F1 is not a real racing series where people drive flat out to win.
Perhaps they should all drive around in circles in pick up trucks or just do a quarter mile in a straight lineROFL

If I said New Zealanders have never understoid any motorsport all they know about is Rugby, Sheep and Speights beer you'd say I was generalising wouldn't you? Less of the nation stereotypes please.

Not looking good for Di Resta getting to the start with a massive fuel leak. FI seem to be doing the best they can to NOT take advantage of their early form.

Ok so wrong about a few things but I did say Fernando for the win about three weeks back! ;)

Great drive from Fernando, not a foot wrong. Kimi defies aerodynamics and well done to Mr Ricciardo for bringing it home in 7th, I shall have to recalculate my opinion of you sir.

Well,the top 3 set a lap in Q3, the following 3 started on the Hard tyres, with Rosberg out, although, I do think that Vettel would have got him. Would it have been different if they had set a lap? I think Button would have been further down the order certainly. It probably helped a bit.

So what is the final result going to be . . . . . a lot of 'to be investigated' things to be investigated.
There was one list of 'using DRS under yellow flag' with nearly half the field on it - so maybe safety in numbers?

Webber's strategy was a bit weird - "box box box" after one lap? Surely another lap or two in clear air on the soft tyres would have been faster than changing to the mediums that soon? Nevertheless, it's academic since he made such a Horlicks of that pass on Vergne.

Vettel unlucky not to have got Hamilton... maybe changing a lap earlier might have worked? It was good that there was at least a little bit of racing today.

If I said New Zealanders have never understoid any motorsport all they know about is Rugby, Sheep and Speights beer you'd say I was generalising wouldn't you?
No I wouldn't say that, in fact as far as many NZ's are concerned you'd be right. It was only a mild generalization, there is a lack of understanding on both sides of the Atlantic.

Vettel was always going to get some really quick laps at the end on new softs, so mildly exciting but hardly unexpected.

Red Bull will be calculating if an extra lap or 2 would have given him time to pass Hamilton and Raikkonen.

Button was on the same strategy, pitted earlier and had those extra couple of laps, but only got back to the same place in the end.

Vettel made them work much better so an extra lap needed there, methinks, and 2nd place was a possibility.

Legs, Mark's strategy looked ok, at his first stop he had already passed a couple of back markers, his accident was a fairly typical Webber brain fart in forgetting where he was in the field, the killer, in my mind was trying to complete a stint without a right rear.

Can anyone one remember where I left my light sheet metal millinery manual?

Vettel was told to push, Button to defend. Who knows how many corners Seb's tyres had in them - I'd say the position at the line was definitive if Kimi and Seb weren't under investigation....

Apparently Ricciardo changed his nose as well, according to Ted's notebook anyway, and if he didn't have to do that Toro Rosso think he could have challenged Massa.

teabagyokel Webber clearly panicked seeing Vettel behind him, no doubt thinking "Ha ha, here's my chance for revenge" and as a result tried to clear the Toro Rosso super quickly so as not to get held up by Vergne, thus giving Seb a chance to get too close. Unfortunately he went for a gap before there was one.

Back
Top Bottom