Grand Prix 2013 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So we move to the Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain. It is a country of great beauty, of civilisation and diversity; but just what attracts F1 to this corner of the world, this archipelago with just over 1 million inhabitants? Well, of course, “oil, stupid!” I hear you cry, but no, there is more than just that; as an influential economic trade centre with huge investment in tourism there’s far more than just the black, smelly, slippery stuff to attract the attention of Bernie and The Circus.

Before oil there was an historic background to interest the mightiest of classical brains; the years before the arrival of Islam were rich in culture as this conduit for trade and knowledge soaked up the influences of Egypt, Greece and the other “advanced” cultures of their times; on the arrival of Islam the intellectual and scientific knowledge flourished through years of political turmoil and threat from external sources, all contributing to the emergence of strong rulers and attracting continued interest from larger, more distant powers.
Portugal, Britain, Egypt and Persia focused on manipulating the region for greater gain as the area became yet more strategically important – then came interest from Uncle Sam in the form of oil prospectors Standard Oil when up through the ground came a bubblin’ crude. While initially this caused a closeness with Britain (who invested then saw great returns through oil revenues) soon it was Iran who showed interest, and the Persian influence was revisited until Bahrain’s independence in 1971. Tension between the three bubbled for the next 30 years until Emir Al Khalifa (who then became King) rose as leader and began a series of reforms which gave freedoms and rights to many. Shi’ite Bahrainis have complained of prejudice, causing a fragile politics in Bahrain, culminating in the commencement of open protest during the Arab Spring. The human rights record of the current regime is under scrutiny frequently and it is this which has made this F1 event as divisive amongst fans as it is. “Systematic Torture” is used by security forces to threaten, frighten and secure information and the control of media causes a bias in information within the country.

"Just what attracts F1 to this corner of the world?" F1 is, of course, attracted to Bahrain by money.

What’s this got to do with us, though? Well, the first Bahrain GP was held in 2004, winning the title of “Best Organised Grand Prix” for that year and was won by Michael Schumacher.
Yet it’s the years 2011 and 2012 which have caused most discussion due to the cancellation in ’11 and non-cancellation in ’12. Vettel’s Championship in ’11 would not have been altered had an additional GP been run, neither would his 2012 victory have been threatened had Bahrain been cancelled so why can political turmoil and human rights be a critical influence one year and not the next? Perhaps it doesn’t matter and the Formula 1 World Championship is all that matters, this is not the place for such a discussion but perhaps you’ll do me the favour of reading this:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/11/sport/motorsport/bahrain-grand-prix-arrests/

So where are we now? With a great display from 3 time Bahrain winner Alonso, a super early China performance from 2 time Bahrain winner Massa and great Lotus, Merc, Red Bull and McLaren performances on 14th April what’s going to be the view on a winner? All the top 4 teams appear to be able to get one strong finish which makes for a real tight picture so I’m not putting anybody’s cash on a punt! The stewards may be in with a busy time, too, as some of the skill levels we’ve seen have caused them so much work over the China weekend. We’ve seen chewing-gum tyres causing dull qualifying with split race strategies and an unusual grid; with high Bahraini track and air temperatures surely this will be the best test so far of aero, strategy and driver skill. I don’t think the circuit is too dissimilar to China but grip levels with the sand will be a challenge, my surprise is that we still have the same questions unanswered regarding the respective qualities of the teams.

I hope you enjoy the race, despite it being my least favourite, and I look forward to your comments.

Kimi on the podium.

318719_481409395259266_397365100_n.jpg

One for the statisticians: when else has there been the same three drivers (furthermore, representing the same teams) on the podium at a GP for two years running? (I can't think of any off the top of my head...) Has it ever happened before?

Slyboogy regarding the mystery as to why Lewis Hamilton did two stints on the medium tyres, is it possible that he just didn't have enough sets of primes left in raceworthy condition? I must admit that I have no knowledge of tyre usage by any of the drivers throughout the meeting, so if anyone could help on that I'd be grateful.

If that were the case though with LH, he might well have been getting the mediums out of the way so that he'd then have two sets of primes for the second half of the race. If so, it worked out pretty well.

From the brief interview with Lewis after the race he didn't seem to be pointing the finger at the tyres but at the car itself. He seemed to think something wasn't quite right after they rebuilt the car due to his tyre failure but then at some stage it clicked in to place and he could push again.

It could have something to do with the Merc balance on heavy fuel ... he certainly screamed back into the contest from mid race...

The Hamilton that I have seen this season seems to be relaxed, content, quietly confident and happy... :) his state of mind seems fundamentally correct ...

One for the statisticians: when else has there been the same three drivers (furthermore, representing the same teams) on the podium at a GP for two years running?

Legs - 1998 & 1999 Spanish Grands Prix:

1. Hakkinen (McLaren)
2. Coulthard (McLaren)
3. M Schumacher (Ferrari)

I'm sure there must be others, but probably not many.

According to F1 Fanatic, there is only one other occurrence. Jim Clark led home Graham Hill and John Surtees in the 1964 and 65 British GP. And they were of course held at different circuits.

So Bahrain was indeed very rare.

Back
Top Bottom