Grand Prix 2013 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Finally F1 is back! After three months without racing, waiting for car launches and testing, the first race of the 2013 Formula One season at Melbourne is just around the corner.

A quick look on what has changed compared to last year:

Teams:
HRT are not on the grid anymore.

Drivers:
- Lewis Hamilton replaces Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.
- Sergio Perez replaces Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.
- Sauber start this season with a completely new line-up as Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez replace Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi.
- Adrian Sutil replaces Nico Hülkenberg at Force India.
- Valtteri Bottas is Williams’ new driver, replacing Bruno Senna.
- At Caterham Vitaly Petrov and Heikki Kovalainen are being replaced by Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde.
- Marussia bring on Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton in favor of Timo Glock and Charles Pic.

For the complete line-ups please check this brilliant overview from teabagyokel http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2013-driver-by-driver-preview.6011/

Circuits:
- The German Grand Prix is being held at the Nürburgring instead of Hockenheim.
- There won't be a race in Valencia this year, as the Spanish Grand Prix will alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from now on, starting with Barcelona.

Pre-season testing suggests that (as almost always) it is almost impossible to predict which teams will be at the very front of the grid. Red Bull look as strong as ever. Ferrari look significantly better than at this stage last year. McLaren seem to be struggling a bit. Mercedes appear to have made some progress over the last weeks and might be able to surprise us all. Lotus look like they could be fighting at the top this year as well.

In the midfield battle it seems that Williams and Sauber could have the upper hand over Toro Rosso and Force India, who have waited a very very long time to announce their second driver, Adrian Sutil.

Caterham and Marussia will probably be at the back end of the grid again. It seems very unlikely that any of them is going to be able to fight for points consistently. What is interesting though is, since HRT aren’t on the grid anymore, there will now be six drivers eliminated in Q1, which means, that apart from the Caterham and Marussia guys, there will now be two drivers of other teams out of qualifying after the first part of it.

How will Lewis Hamilton do for Mercedes? Is Mercedes’ completely new structured team going to improve? Is Sebastian Vettel going to pave his way for a fourth consecutive championship? How will Sergio Perez settle in at McLaren? Is Jenson Button going to win for the fourth time in Melbourne? Will Ferrari be able to win races from the outset?

Many questions! At least some of them will be answered in two weeks’ time at the 2013 Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne!
Let’s get it on!!

I wish I could watch all the races live...

It's so shit that it's at least £35 a month for just F1 in HD (I wouldn't watch anything else). Why can't I just get the HD pack by itself for a tenner a month...

>:(

Come on chaps, it's the opener and will give us an insight into what to expect for the rest of the season (maybe!!). I'll be up for the 6.00am kick off, if a little bleary eyed, and hoping for an 'indicative' race.

I don't have Sky but am hoping that last year's feed will still be available!

Greenlantern101 will you be giving us peasants a nudge as to which TV corp will be showing the next race? 8-)

ExtremeNinja

Try this link.... NBC Sports Network.... but you will need to confirm local time (Pacific, Central/Mountain or Eastern).... I couldn't see where it was listed on this... I am Central... maybe it just read my IP and bank account password....

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlisti...t&fromTimeInMillis=1363233600000&stnNum=15952

It looks as if NBC Sports Network is devoting 3 hour coverage of the Australian GP, opposed to the usual 2 I/2 hours given by SPEED.... ..:D

Another plus IMO.......no 2 hour same day race broadcast by FOX, which usually contained my 2 favorite races, the Canadian and British GP's......:cheer:

Gary Anderson's predicted grid, based on testing times:

1 Rosberg 1:19.730
2 Button 1:19.764
3 Vettel 1:19.797
4 Hamilton 1:19.886
5 Raikkonen 1:19.968
6 Alonso 1:20.004
7 Webber 1:20.113
8 Perez 1:20.348
9 Grosjean 1:20.498
10 Massa 1:20.576
11 Maldonado 1:20.705
12 Bottas 1:20.868
13 Sutil 1:21.247
14 Hulkenberg 1:21.341
15 Di Resta 1:21.464
16 Gutierrez 1:22.353
17 Vergne 1:22.823
18 Pic 1:22.915
19 Bianchi 1:22.967
20 Ricardo 1:23.138
21 Chilton 1:23.903
22 Van Der Garde 1:24.035

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21660055

I don't agree with it at all, but it will make for an interesting talking point after qualifying.

Interesting that he puts Pic and Bianchi ahead of Ricciardo, I was under the impression that Caterham and Marussia were battling not to be last and that STR were well ahead if them :s

Back
Top Bottom