Grand Prix 2012 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yeehaw!
Saddle up and let's mosey on down to Texas for the penultimate round of the 2012 season.

(Okay, that's quite enough of that...)

If it wasn't for the fact that Red Bull and Vettel have all but tied both titles up, this would be one of the most exciting ends to a season for a while.

What we should have had is two or three drivers on approximately level points heading to an unknown circuit, which by all accounts looks like it's going to be a challenge for even the best drivers. Turn one in particular is a blind left at the crest of a hill, which could either make or break the race.
Instead, what we have is a dominant Red Bull who need just four points to take the Constructors' title and Sebastian Vettel who only needs to outscore Fernando Alonso by 15 points or more over the next two rounds to take the Drivers'.

The wheels have come off at McLaren with yet another retirement for Hamilton when leading comfortably at Abu Dhabi; this time due to a faulty fuel pump. McLaren have prosecuted a dreadful campaing this year; without doubt they should have been in a position to take both titles and instead they are unlikely to even be runners up in both.
Where did it all go wrong?

Renault scored their first victory of the season with Kimi Räikkönen. Apparently it was "nothing to jump around about" so we'll say no more.

Mercedes had another race to forget with both cars finishing outside the top 10. Again. One has to hope that this is not a precursor to next season's performance and the redesigned car will be a lot more competitive. They may be able to hang on to fifth in the Constructors' but that will be dependent on how many points the Sauber drivers squander, of which Pérez has been doing an admirable job since he signed for McLaren.

Force India and Williams are in their own private battle in both championships but the Force Indias are in the driving seat (thank you, I'm here all week) and look as if they will just have the edge.

Sadly, for another year, the three "new" teams still occupy all of the bottom places. Caterham had an opportunity during last week's race of attrition to jump Marussia into 10th place, which they currently hold thanks to Timo Glock's 12th place finish at Singapore, but Kovalainen was overtaken in the closing stages. The really sad part is I can't see this ever being any different; the step change in performance required to breach the gap just seems to be unattainable.

For those who haven't seen the circuit, this is the view from the start-finish straight to turn one:
austin-straight-jpg.5108

Here's an onboard lap:

Galahad's circuit write up is here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-of-the-americas/

Burgers, weak beer and popcorn are available from the concession stands (OK, OK, I'll stop now :D)

LOL ... actually I think it's the prospect of a CTA race weekend posting-fest as we all get something interesting to talk about after what has been a relatively quiet couple of weeks.

I've held back from commenting about Austin since until the chaps hit the new circuit in anger we're yet to see how good it really is for current F1. It looks pretty good for motorcycle racing and it's nice to see a new track with a varied topography for a change. However, it will be interesting to see how well it stands up to he punishment of 24 F1 cars hacking round it. The fact that the topography is artificial could make life interesting. For example, will we see ripples developing in the braking zones as we have seen at some circuits in the past? That could be a problem for the cars with stiffer set-ups like the McLaren's.

Truth is, I'm quite looking forward to this one because, whilst I hate their street circuits, I do like the American purpose built race-tracks. Road America, Laguna Seca and Watkins Glen, for example, are classics and Austin looks to be in a similar vein. Let's hope it lives up to the hype.

Truth is, I'm quite looking forward to this one because, whilst I hate their street circuits, I do like the American purpose built race-tracks. Road America, Laguna Seca and Watkins Glen, for example, are classics and Austin looks to be in a similar vein. Let's hope it lives up to the hype.

I live less than an hour from Road America and have been going there since before I could walk. I absolutely love it there and it really is as close as you can get to a traditional European circuit here in the states. It would be the perfect track for F1 (if they would invest in the safety updates). I will always dream about F1 coming to Road America, but I'm plenty happy with ALMS or any other sports car championship coming there. Went to Laguna Seca for the first time this year and it was great. Perfect for sportscars.

All that being said, being American, I am extremely happy to get F1 back in the States and think COTA is a great track, but there isn't anything that is that special about it. It's a typical TIlke design. I am optimistic the racing will be great and am very interested in seeing the cars fly up and into turn 1, but on TV it's going to look like India, Korea, ect. If F1 went to Road America for example, you would know they were in the states - all of the turns were taken from near by Wisconsin roads that were originally used in the races around the city/country circuit.

Oh well, I'm glad its back over here.

Crofty has posted some great pics on Twitter.

View from pole
view-from-pole.jpg

View from row 12
back-of-grid.jpg

View back from turn one
view-from-turn-one.jpg

Click the images for the full size versions.

So I've dug through the archives (and by archives I mean Youtube) and have been posting on my blog this week "Great Moments @ the US Grand Prix" Here's some of my favorites.

Hopefull we'll see some of these battles this weekends...

I don't see that the teams had much of a choice. There was a known problem with the tyres, they effectively collapsed at high speed on the particular surface used at the incident. Under Indiana law the team would be liable should this happen and a driver were killed or injured, presumably the team principal would be the one prosecuted.

Back
Top Bottom