Grand Prix 2011 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yes, its a tad early, but I'm not sure about being online tommorow and i'll do it now just to be safe. Well anyway, after a 3 week break, F1 roars back to life at the Tilke designed Instanbul Park circuit with the first European race of the season . F1 has been extremely unpredictable so far (apart from the pace of Vettel) and there seems no reason for this to change in Turkey barring the competitiveness, or lack of, this weekend.

Last years race is remembered for close action and fighting at the front, namely two incidents; The now famous crash between Vettel and Webber and Hamilton and Button arguing on track about who's going to win the race.

While we expect Red Bull and McLaren to pick up from where they left off in China with strong qualifying and race pace, it remains to be seen whether Ferrari can fulfill their pre season promise and finally get back to the front after 3 (or in Massa's case 2) lacklustre races. And what about Mercedes and Renault? Both teams will be aiming at the podium after strong drives this season with Heidfeld and Petrov getting 3rd places and Rosberg leading a sizeable portion in China before finishing a strong fifth behind the Red Bulls and McLarens. Williams appear to be going backwards and are now on a level with Team Lotus for pace and they will need a strong performance to banish doubts, and falling share prices. The midfield has also become increasingly conjested with Sauber, Force India and Torro Rosso fighting over the small points with the likes of Di Resta and Perez making positive early impressions with Sutil and the evergreen Barichello struggling.

At the back HRT and Virgin continue to squabble at the back with HRT finally getting their act together and posing a real problem for Virgin who have recently employed Pat Symonds to evaluate the outfit and suggest ways of improvement due to no increase in pace of their 2011 challenger and they could end up slipping behind the improving Hispania team.

Turkey has become famous for its high speed turn 8 which will no doubt help the likes of Red Bull with their *ahem* flexi-wings and it would be a foolish man to bet against a Red Bull Vettel taking pole on Saturday, but as Murray Walker said, anything can happen and it usally does, particulary with rain being forecast for the latter part of the week, we might be seeing the intermediate tyres being used for the first time this season. Tyres will again be the watch word though whatever the weather, along with marbles.

With the Turkish Grand Prix currently under threat due to rising prices and low attendance figures, this year could be the last time we see F1 cars grace the sweeping track and one of Tilkes' better tracks and if the last 3 grand prix are anything to go by, we should be in for a cracker this weekend.

For Galahad's superb circuit write up see http://cliptheapex.com/pages/istanbul-park/

I am pretty sure that I have heard Pirelli quoted on numerous occasions that they will début the new hard compound at Barcelona.

You're right that they won't be used in the Turkey race, but I believe they are being used in Friday practice at Turkey. I thought the discussion was about the change in general though, whether it be at Turkey or Barcelona.

I will be interested to see if there is any variation in strategy in Turkey given the pitstop penalty but also whether the following/leading team take a gamble with strategy as in China or if they just cover each other off (I was very surprised when RB didnt do this in China despite believing that the 2 stopper was optimal).

I would rather see a race with fuel stops rather than a race where you have the advantage of being on the right tyre and overtaking someone who is a sitting duck

I honestly don't get this. The last 2 races have been the best 2 dry races we've had in yonks. The only one that was as good is Canada last year, and that was for exactly the same reasons as the last 2. It is definitely better than the processions we had last year.

Does anyone know the length of the DRS zone for Turkey? I know where they are putting it, but was interested to see if they are still fiddling with the length of it?

Didnt someone write a letter to F1 Racing saying how the casual viewer was negativley influencing F1 (or something along those lines) due to all the new rules like DRS being introduced?

Does anyone know the length of the DRS zone for Turkey? I know where they are putting it, but was interested to see if they are still fiddling with the length of it?

I put it up here yesterday...it's I think from just before the bend that can be taken flat out on the back straight.

I honestly don't get this. The last 2 races have been the best 2 dry races we've had in yonks. The only one that was as good is Canada last year, and that was for exactly the same reasons as the last 2. It is definitely better than the processions we had last year.

Artificial...I rather not see someone get overtaken and be defenceless either because they are not allowed to use the DRS because they are ahead...or because they are at the wrong tyres and can't do anything about it.

Not much skill left in overtaking...seems to go all NASCAR-ish...trying to promote the sport to the casual viewer. Both races have been exciting I have to say...but it does not feel like F1...you never know when an overtake is a good one or not, or whether skill is involved.

I hope that answers your question.

You are never going to find the happy medium though

It was fine the way it was...I admit the last race was a bit useless......you are always going to have some bad races in a calender.

You can't have classics every race like everyone wants...otherwise what's the point in that?

If we had the 2010 system with the Pirelli tyres that would be great.

Sure would be.....too many rule changes....

I prefer Pirelli tyres to KERS + DRS, if it was up to me, I would have introduced just Pirelli this year, maybe along with KERS due to everyone thinking it's "Important" to F1.

I put it up here yesterday...it's I think from just before the bend that can be taken flat out on the back straight.

As i say, i know where it is, just wondering how long it is. So far i've found it is 72m from turn 11, so just need to know how far before turn 12 breaking zone turn 11 is.

Artificial...I rather not see someone get overtaken and be defenceless either because they are not allowed to use the DRS because they are ahead

I understand why purists are against it but anyone who has watched the early races must know it doesn't make a driver defenseless? I'm not going to list every single overtake that wasn't completed in the DRS zone, but Vettel and Hamilton would be the first to spring to mind. Hamilton didn't get Massa either in the DRS zone, but a few corners after - or Button for that matter. On a few occasions drivers have "chosen" not to defend or have been passed before the corner, but i'd say most were competitive.

Artificial it may be, but saying it makes drivers defenseless is a different argument. Personally, i haven't had a bad word to say about F1 for years now and i certainly don't now.

Yeah, if every race was a classic, none of them would be

Yep this is very true. I'm hoping they might have reduced the DRS zone a tiny bit. There might be an argument for getting rid of it all together considering the racing seems to be pretty good in areas without it, as i think sly is pointing out above.

This said, all it might be doing is redefining, or moving the boundaries of what is good. In future we might see Australia as dull, Malaysia as the norm and China as a classic.

Not much skill left in overtaking...seems to go all NASCAR-ish...trying to promote the sport to the casual viewer. Both races have been exciting I have to say...but it does not feel like F1...you never know when an overtake is a good one or not, or whether skill is involved.

Hmm...i'm finding it difficult to agree with most of your arguments. Sorry:embarrassed:. I was blown away by Lewis' overtakes in China, and his double one in Malaysia. I also thought Webbers on Massa in Malaysia was brilliant as well. Sure there is the odd "open goal" feel to certain overtakes, but i think most viewers can still pick out the goodens. :)

Back
Top Bottom