Grand Prix 2011 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so on to Spain, after the anti climax that was Turkey, it seems that no-one can stop Vettel as he marched to his 3rd win in 4 races and is in dominant form as we head to the Iberian peninsula. Despite the highest amount of overtakes since records began (126), a lot of people were questioning how authentic these overtakes were due to their artificial nature because of the DRS. The Spanish Grand Prix hasn't been known for its overtakes, indeed this is a track where more often than not, the driver who gets pole goes on to win so thats the race in the bag for Vettel. In 2010 the race was won by Mark Webber in the first of back to back wins from Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel. lewis Hamilton was on course for second until a wheel rim failure with two laps to go.

After a dominant performance in Turkey, Red Bull will be aiming at another one two in Spain, and on current form and given the nature of the track it is hard to see past the Red Bulls from extending their championship lead. However Ferrari and particularly Alonso have showed that Red Bull won't have it their own way and no doubt Alonso will be boosted by a capacity crowd all cheering him on. Mclaren planned to bring updates to Turkey but abandoned them and instead will introduce them this weekend to plug the ever increasing gap with Hamilton currently second in the drivers championship, over 30 points behind Vettel.

Mercedes were Jekyll and Hyde in Turkey and its not exactly hard to figure out who was who. Mercedes Rosberg has shown improved form recently and has been mixing with the Mclarens and Ferraris and with continued development, Mercedes will be confident of a top 5 finish this weekend.

Renault have seemed to have fallen back recently with Heidfeld and Petrov in the lower reaches of the points, their podium form of Australia and Malaysia now seems a distant memory and have now been overtaken by Mercedes in the development battle. In the midfield it is really tightening up as Toro Rosso have found a speed boost with Buemi claiming points in Turkey and Kobyashi coming from last on the grip to claim a top 10 position with Force India not holding the same level of competitiveness as the first few races with Di Resta's first DNF of his career.

While Team lotus didn't gain the jump that they hoped, they have high hopes that this weekend is the one where they establish themselves as a solid midfield runner while Virgin and HRT continue to fight it out over who gets the wooden spoon.

With the arguments over DRS raging on, no doubt we will see a circuit record of overtakes as cars breeze past each other down the main straight but if only one thing is certain it is that Red Bull will be right at the front barring major developments (or crashes)

For Galahads excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-catalunya/

A new, harder tyre compound will be used for the Spanish GP.

The compound, trialled during practice in Istanbul, is more durable and so will increase the gap between the prime and the option tyres, offering the teams a wider variety of strategies for the races.

Pirelli said, however, that it is still expecting three stops to be the norm in Barcelona this weekend.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91465

I must say I hate the Barcelona track with a passion - I can't remember one good race there. If we have to have a race in Spain couldn't we bring Estroil up to date and race there?

Can't see anything else but a Red Bull 1-2 - however I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons and say Webber will take this one(he's got to win one this year).

Also I'm gonna predict Kovi into Q2, Lotus to be in front of Williams in the race and HRT(well at least Liuzzi) to be in front of the Virgins in quali and race - which after the battering they took at Australia we should really salute!

I'm sure Portugal wouldn't mind being in Spain at the moment... although a very short moment.

I wouldn't make those assumptions.

I think we all predict a Red Bull victory! But the rules aren't designed to stop the fastest car winning; no reasonable rules could do that!

I must say I hate the Barcelona track with a passion - I can't remember one good race there. If we have to have a race in Spain couldn't we bring Estroil up to date and race there?
Estoril is in Portugal ;)

Portimao would be a far more interesting proposition.
I'm sure Portugal wouldn't mind being in Spain at the moment... although a very short moment.
When Spain eventually goes belly up, Portugal, Greece and Ireland's problems are going to look like small beer. ;)

Estoril is in Portugal

*ahem* - make a fool of myself on the new board why don't I?

I of course meant Jerez!

Just being flippant for a mo'... that's why I said a very short moment.
Love to see racing back in Portugal but like Greece it's a non-starter for the forseeable future.

Weather looks good so looks like an RB walk over I guess...

Quite looking forward to this one more than i have done in previous seasons. The Spanish GP will certainly test whether the new reg's work at tracks that are difficult to over take at. Quali these days is a none event now. Only drivers in Q3 go for one timed lap.

Quite looking forward to this one more than i have done in previous seasons. The Spanish GP will certainly test whether the new reg's work at tracks that are difficult to over take at. Quali these days is a none event now. Only drivers in Q3 go for one timed lap.

Interesting isn't it? Only a year or so ago Quali was often better than the actual race...!

Where is the cavalry when you need it?

Jonah Lewie stopped it...!

But seriously, here's the triple crowns from the last 10 years:

CTA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom