2011 Silly Season

Chad Stewarthill said:
IF (and it would be a very big IF if only I knew how to make text bigger... ooh, just found out), Mark Webber were to win the WDC this season, might he then retire, leaving a space at Red Bull? In which case, might someone like Nick Heidfeld be a candidate, or would they stick to their internal promotion strategy and go for either Algersuari or Buemi?

And there's another name to consider, one that keeps cropping up with a couple of teams and thats Kimi Raikonen.

He already has backing from RedBull, a former WDC, and has been continuously linked with a return to F1 since well the put pen to paper on the Citroen contract he signed.

Also since talk of Renault car company are looking at buying Genii Renault F1 team. Theres been mutterings of Renault, the Car company that is, trying to persuade Kimi to join them.

Didn't really think Kimi would consider a retun to F1 but no smoke without fire eh?

I'm not going to rule him out - he was in excellent form towards the end of 2009, he'd have to be enthused and interested if he were to return and he's the 2007 World Champion. It'd be great to have him back, battling with Hamilton, sparring with Alonso, avoiding Vettel, overtaking Kubica and running into Sutil.

Spa would never be safe again. And Brundle would have to move somewhere else* for a grid interview.

*"Jenson?"

Another confirmation for 2011.

"The Sauber team announced on Tuesday morning that Kamui Kobayashi will remain with the Swiss squad in the 2011 season.

The 24-year-old Japanese driver has put on some impressive performances this year, having scored 21 points so far despite having competed in just 15 grands prix.

"We enjoy having our rookie as part of the team - both as a driver and a person," said team principal Peter Sauber.

"We never had any doubts about working with him again in 2011.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86444

Good news about Kobayashi, when he has finished he has regularly been in and around the point scoring positions (only 7 finishes this season and 6 retirements!) He could do with being a touch more consistent in qualifying but having reached Q3 3* times shows promise (qualifying in 9, 9, and 10 from Q3).

Would love to see him in a more competitive car in coming seasons but he does still have time.

*He qualified 9th in Malaysia when the 2 Ferraris and 2 McLarens went out in Q1, so this perhaps wasn't quite so impressive.

Kimi would only come back if he thought he could win the title with his car, and I dont think he would take a risk with renault. Also he seems fairly happy in WRC and personally I don't think that he will come back.

tooncheesef1 said:
Kimi would only come back if he thought he could win the title with his car, and I dont think he would take a risk with renault. Also he seems fairly happy in WRC and personally I don't think that he will come back.

Webber wins the Drivers Championship and retires a Champ, Kimi takes his place the RBR as an idea?

ATL11 said:
tooncheesef1 said:

Webber wins the Drivers Championship and retires a Champ, Kimi takes his place the RBR as an idea?

It’s a possibility.

Webber could retire on top and Räikkönen’s presence might help Vettel control the pressure a little bit.

And maybe Räikkönen could be tempted to go back to F1 by the chance to drive a car designed by Newey again. But it doesn’t look very likely. He looks way too happy rallying. He’s even begun to voluntarily open the car’s door and answer the journalists’ questions at the end of each special stage (if only he remembered to take his helmet off, he’s using an integral helmet and there’s no way to understand a single word of what he mumbles ).

Well, I suppose it’s all about mights and coulds and woulds playing the silly season game. :)

According to autosport Kimi is trying to muscle in on the renualt seat next year

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86688

I've quite liked seeing him Rallying, and to be honest if he's just there for one season, it's a waste of time for him. He seems to be really enjoying it, he's even regularly smiling! However, if Schumi stays next year, it will certainly be nice to have every world champ since the turn of the century racing! (assuming of course the 2010 champs quits the sport!)

Interesting, Kimi approached Renault.
I noticed that Renault did not seem overexcited by this approach.But note Eric Boullier's comments about the commercial implications.This is well justified.Posters on other forums are already saying that Kimi to Renault and Petrov to Lotus in a Renault engine deal. Not that likely in my opinion.Take a look at Petrovs history and take a look at Renaults involvement in the Russian car market.Petrov is a huge commercial asset for Renault in Russia.

" LADA cars are known all over the world, and available in almost every continent. The LADA brand is owned by JSC AVTOVAZ. By decision of the company’s shareholders, LADA logos now appears on the race cars of the Renault F1 Team.
Today JSC AVTOVAZ is an equal partner in the Renault-Nissan-AVTOVAZ Alliance, which is the world’s third largest automaker (after General Motors and Toyota). JSC AVTOVAZ, Russia’s biggest automotive manufacturer of LADA cars, produces quality vehicles at affordable prices and strives to expand its model range and options while continuously improving its product quality. The company accounts for around 1% of Russian GDP; AVTOVAZ’s production facilities are capable of producing over 1,000,000 vehicles annually"
http://www.vitalypetrov.ru/

sportsman said:
Interesting, Kimi approached Renault.
I noticed that Renault did not seem overexcited by this approach.
But note Eric Boullier's comments about the commercial implications.This is well justified.Posters on other forums are already saying that Kimi to Renault and Petrov to Lotus in a Renault engine deal. Not that likely in my opinion.Take a look at Petrovs history and take a look at Renaults involvement in the Russian car market.Petrov is a huge commercial asset for Renault in Russia.

Boullier told the Belgian press (in Spa) two weeks ago that they had contacted Räikkönen and were interested in him.
Link: http://www.dhnet.be/sports/formule-1/ar ... anhas.html

Now he tells Autosport that after Spa, Räikkönen has suddenly found the Renault is the car of his dreams and has offered himself to drive there.

There are three possibilities:

• Boullier was lying in Spa
  • Boullier is lying now
  • The journos have messed it up again.

Note: Kimi was rallying in Japan last weekend, and all the journos there were sure he was going to keep on rallying.

Edit: I forgot the possibility of the Robertsons playing mind games again

More rumours about the HRT line up;

HRT could be an alternative employer for Pedro de la Rosa, who has been ousted as race driver by Sauber.

Sports newspaper Diario AS said the struggling Spanish team Hispania "would like to have a high quality driver like Pedro as teammate for Bruno Senna".

The report, confirming that a technical deal with Toyota has been reached and that Spanish youngster Javier Villa is also a driver option, said HRT would be a possible avenue for 39-year-old de la Rosa in 2011.

Another Spanish source, f1aldia.com, said de la Rosa met with HRT team owner Jose Ramon Carabante in the Monza paddock last weekend.

"I have spoken with Pedro de la Rosa," Carabante confirmed.

He also sounded bullish about the team's future.

"We will, for sure, complete this season. We are going well and working hard on next year," added Carabante.

So it looks like Senna is confirmed for 2011 but his team mate is still to be decided...

Chandhok to Force India?

No chance.
That would be the death knell for his career ambitions.

I can't see Lewis currently driving for anyone except McLaren, Ferrari or Red Bull.

I can see what Whitmarsh is thinking though,

If he hires Vettel as a number 3 driver, Button and Hamilton and the rest of the field will all have a greater chance of finishing a race with their cars intact :whistle:

Brogan said:
No chance.
Isn't that what people said of the 27 year old Michael Schumacher when he left Benetton with two world titles to join the then struggling Ferrari team? And how old will Lewis be in two years' time? Yes, 27.
One day before too long, Newey will get fed up and move on from Red Bull, and I don't then see their time at the top as lasting too much longer; and Lewis ain't going near Ferrari while Fernando is still there, which could be quite a while.

Wait and see, is all I say.

Chad Stewarthill said:
Brogan said:
No chance.
Isn't that what people said of the 27 year old Michael Schumacher when he left Benetton with two world titles to join the then struggling Ferrari team? And how old will Lewis be in two years' time? Yes, 27.
One day before too long, Newey will get fed up and move on from Red Bull, and I don't then see their time at the top as lasting too much longer; and Lewis ain't going near Ferrari while Fernando is still there, which could be quite a while.

Wait and see, is all I say.

You never know. You just never know.

Hamilton to Lotus =]

Back
Top Bottom