Grand Prix 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Typical F1.
You wait months for a race and then 2 come along in the space of a few weeks.

This weekend will see the 13th race at the Sepang circuit; will it be unlucky for some?
For a most excellent circuit write-up, see Galahad's musings here, along with enough stat's and data to satisfy the most ardent of nerds: Sepang International Circuit

2009 is remembered for the later start and torrential rain which resulted in the race being red flagged after 33 laps; making it only the fifth race in F1 history to be stopped before 75% of the distance had been completed.

Ferrari and McLaren will no doubt be aiming to make it into Q2 after their amateurish mistakes last year.
With rain forecast for the weekend though, the chances of one or more of the top drivers making a mistake is fairly high.

This race is probably make or break for HRT.
If they don't manage to qualify within 107% of the fastest time in Q1 and are once again stopped from participating in the Grand Prix, then you have to assume it's all over for them.

So, lots to look forward to. Let's hope it's not a Red Bull walkover and qualifying is a lot closer than Australia.

And now for a potentially interesting question: will there be teams who turn out to have gambled on a totally wet set-up and could it pay very rich dividends indeed tomorrow?
Ferrari perhaps? Sauber? Or how about Williams?.
Let's hope it's not Red Bull Racing! LOL

Its hard to say what I think really, as its a 'diagonal' racing line, wouldnt the left and the right sides be equal in the amount of marbles?

We can only go on what the drivers themselves have said.

Although the racing line is not as clearly defined as other tracks because drivers work their way over from the right hand side of the track to the left, a number of drivers felt that if there was a high level of marbles in Malaysia then they would most likely fall on the left hand side of the grid.

Well there's a thing. Will it make that much of a difference though? It might simply cancel out the benefit of starting on the clean side for the poleman?

Think this is so well set up. I'm so glad Mclaren have caught Red Bull in terms of speed. I can see Lewis getting Seb on the outside, even despite the marbling and then having inside for the next chicane. It could be a bit like Istanbul 2010 in terms of type of race. The gap is so little between all 4. Rain or no rain, this has thriller potential. Can't wait. :D

I would have at least considered sweeping the marbles from the track in an effort to promote overtaking.

Pastor Maldonardo was very diligent in his cleaning of the back straight, did he do the same down the start finish I wonder? :thinking:

I would have at least considered sweeping the marbles from the track in an effort to promote overtaking.

Can they though? Like regular wear rubber marbles are at a very high temperature when they get ejected, so it would be quite possible they solidify very quickly and stick to the tarmac once they cool?

The thing I find slightly confusing about this is that unlike regular wear, rubber marbles are normally ejected from the track on each side of the cars and away from the racing line aren't they?

Pastor Maldonardo was very diligent in his cleaning of the back straight, did he do the same down the start finish I wonder? :thinking:
Yes he was.

I did not understand that at all! The 5 live guys were on about it too - makes no sense whatsoever! It's not even like you'd shave off a few hundredths since you have to move back onto the racing line!

Great qualifying session, great to see McLaren right up there, will we see a Turkey 2010 pt. 2 I wonder? One can only hope.

Didn't understand Sauber's strategy with Kamui on the softs in Q3. Okay so he was 0.011 away from 9th position but I dunno.. I don't like it. Not worth it - I hope they have something clever in mind.

Back
Top Bottom