Grand Prix 2011 European Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Got your breath back yet?

After an exhilarating grand prix which lasted for record time, it seems as if there is renewed optimism that Sebastian Vettel can be caught after a last lap slip in the moist conditions in Canada allowing Jenson Button to take his first win for over a year despite a turbulent race which included crashes with Alonso and team-mate Hamilton, a puncture and a drive through.

However, a candidate for most improved driver since the season started is a certain Michael Schumacher. Ridiculed early on after a poor start, he seems to have found the groove again and if it hadn't have been for the last safety car, he arguably would have gotten his first podium since returning to the sport, indeed he was closing the gap to Vettel and could even have taken the win at one of his favourite circuits. Now that he has overtaken Rosberg in the standings, is it time for him to push on and show that he is worth the 7 world championships to his name?

Another name that has been bandied about the press recently is Lewis Hamilton, after a disappointing race in Monaco, he followed it with a worse showing at one of his most successful circuits. During the race he hit everything that moved, and seemed to take the blame for most if not all of the incidents, whether he deserves the current criticism is another thing entirely. He knows he needs a strong showing in Valencia where he has finished 2nd on every single visit so far to the Spanish circuit.

It is the second home race of the year for Fernando Alonso, but it looks like he is going to need more than home support to beat the Red Bulls here, however an improved showing in Canada was masked by a clumsy incident with Button which punted him out of the grand prix. Felipe Massa had an overall strong race and recovered form an impact in the wall to finish 6th after beating Kobayashi in a drag race to the line.

Williams claimed their first points of the year finally with Barrichello claiming a handful of points while Toro Rosso managed to get both drivers into the points which will go some way into relieving the pressure on the two embattled drivers who will no doubt be looking over his shoulder.

Looking ahead to Valencia, it is easy for people not to get their hopes up about any exciting racing as the European Grand Prix here hasn't been known for frantic racing, particularly as the 2009 race didn't have any overtaking whatsoever, yes, there were 0 overtakes. But with a combination of two long straights and the new dual DRS zones, we should be seeing tons of overtaking into the hairpin, remember Kobayashi's overtake on Alonso late on last year.

No doubt Mark Webber will want to eradicate last years memories where he found that Red Bull literally did give him wings when he flew 360 degrees in the air after tagging Kovalainens lotus at high speed, seeing as this happened in what will probably be a DRS zone this year, I sincerely hope we do not see a repeat, while Webber walked away unharmed, it is never nice to see that happen in any kind of motorsport.

For Galahads superb circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/valencia-street-circuit/

In general Ferrari do seem to have a habit of setting faster times in testing and practice than in qualifying and the race (compared to Red Bull and McLaren). Off the top of my head I think Alonso has led quite a few practice sessions over the last few races.

Qualifying in Montrel was a bit of an eye opener but McLaren were running with high downforce due to expected tyre wear and rain so I think the usual order will be retained in Valencia.

EDIT: Having said that Alonso could have won Monaco were it not for the Red Flag, and possibly would have had a chance in Canada if it wasn't for the collision with Button.

In general Ferrari do seem to have a habit of setting faster times in testing and practice than in qualifying and the race (compared to Red Bull and McLaren). Off the top of my head I think Alonso has led quite a few practice sessions over the last few races.

Qualifying in Montrel was a bit of an eye opener but McLaren were running with high downforce due to expected tyre wear and rain so I think the usual order will be retained in Valencia.

EDIT: Having said that Alonso could have won Monaco were it not for the Red Flag, and possibly would have had a chance in Canada if it wasn't for the collision with Button.

It is the thing, topping practise and Q1 and Q2 means absolutely nudder.

It is the thing, topping practise and Q1 and Q2 means absolutely nudder.
...and yet there are signs in the races too. Remember how Ferrari suddenly came good last summer around this time...

...and yet there are signs in the races too. Remember how Ferrari suddenly came good last summer around this time...

Germany, but that said they were probably a better race package last year to, they started better and generally had more points than they do now, Massa was up there and Alonso was actually far behind. I also don't like to be caught in the trap of "it happened before so it can happen again". This year bar a few moments Ferrari have been pants, it effectively now about damage limitation.....I don't doubt the capability to come back, though the question is, why not get the car working before race 1, why wait until you are thoroughly embarrassed.

CTA.jpg

No doubt McLaren will contrive some cunning strategy again to put their drivers at a disadvantage during qualifying and the race :givemestrength:

If Red Bull win at Valencia then the only hope the other drivers and teams have is the proposed EBD ban/reduction.

I think Lewis would take another steady second place at Valencia after the dark tea time of his soul that have been the last 2 races.

Something nice ands solid to set him up for a charge at Silverstone.

No doubt McLaren will contrive some cunning strategy again to put their drivers at a disadvantage during qualifying and the race.

Yeah, they really cost themselves the win in Canada...

CTA.jpg

There's a lot of negativity from fans of McLaren and Ferrari around, cheer up, they're both doing OK! Look at Mercedes! Look at Toyota!

By the way, they designed that trophy for a McLaren win, didn't they!

View attachment 1715

There's a lot of negativity from fans of McLaren and Ferrari around, cheer up, they're both doing OK! Look at Mercedes! Look at Toyota!

By the way, they designed that trophy for a McLaren win, didn't they!

if it wasnt for the safety car it probably wouldnt have turned out so good for mclaren.

Canada was a fluke, irrespective of how well Button drove in the second half of the race.

Without the safety car(s) he would have been nowhere.

I have accepted and congratulated the fact the the Red Bull Boys right now have the elitists teams of formula one by the nut sack. RBR like dominant sides of old have earned and thoroughly deserve(d) it.

It is also harsh to say look at Mercedes or Toyota, as both of those teams are developing (was) teams, Petronas is nowhere to being called an elite side like Ferrari and McLaren that have been in F1 since the cows came home.

Canada was a fluke, irrespective of how well Button drove in the second half of the race.

and without male genitalia my uncle would be my aunt.

I'm sure if you looked at nearly every victory in F1 you could say well they only won because so and so happened.

Mclaren did mess a few things up but they came through to win - be happy, be merry!

After 7 races last year McLaren had 172 points. This year they have 186.

Maybe, but it was car performance that he came from (10 seconds behind) last to 4th in 17 laps, and was significantly faster than anyone else throughout. Or more specifically, he couldn't have done it without car performance.

View attachment 1715

There's a lot of negativity from fans of McLaren and Ferrari around, cheer up, they're both doing OK!

I'm happy(ish), Qualifying doesn't really bother me anymore, I think McLaren are looking very good in race trim. I'd like the strategists to be more risky or clever with strategy (and not assume everything will lead to a penalty) and perhaps the drivers to be a little less risky (aka Hamilton in China) and then I think we have a happy medium. Look what Ferrari did after the BGP!

I agree with Brogan, McLaren keep finding new ways to make the races interesting for us, by making sure they start behind some slower cars. You do have to wonder where they (Lewis) would be (mentally and in the championship), if they could get qualifying right...

I agree with Brogan, McLaren keep finding new ways to make the races interesting for us, by making sure they start behind some slower cars. You do have to wonder where they (Lewis) would be (mentally and in the championship), if they could get qualifying right...

hmmm - I think maybe you guys are letting your annoyance cloud your judgement a bit.

Hamilton has qualified: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 9th and 5th

Button has qualified: 4th, 4th, 2nd, 6th, 5th, 2nd and 7th.

Now if we take Hamilton's 9th out of the occasion (Mclaren couldn't have predicted a red flag!) then in actual fact they've messed up quali once, which is in Canada when they were gambling on a wet set up and actual won the grand prix.

Considering the pace of the Red Bull and the fact the Ferrari has shown some pace at Grand Prix I actually think thats a pretty good record - Hamilton especially - ok being beat by Nico Rosberg in Turkey could be seen as a let down but other than that he's either been splitting or right with the Red Bulls until Monoco.

I exepct them to be 2nd and 3rd in Valencia if I'm honest

To be perfectly honest, I am rather looking forward to a dull, uneventful, controversy free race, I'm not sure I can take any more after last weekend.

Lets face it, I think this is the right place for a dull race!

Nice normal qualifying, Vettel breaks down in the race (from the lead, Natch, as in '10)

Then back to normal service for Silverstone!!!

hmmm - I think maybe you guys are letting your annoyance cloud your judgement a bit.

Hamilton has qualified: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 9th and 5th

Button has qualified: 4th, 4th, 2nd, 6th, 5th, 2nd and 7th.
If they are fighting for the championship, the guy they have to beat has qualified 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st...:)

If they are fighting for second, then fair enough, they have done well.

Right or wrong, Lewis' frustration having to get past people before he can take on Vettel has cost him dear. I just feel that with what has been clearly the second fastest car, Lewis should be P2 or P3 every qualifying with JB P3 or P4.

They are making it harder for themselves with both drivers lower than that 3 times each in 7 races.

I do see what your saying Jez but apart from the obvious that the Mclaren is not as quick as the Red Bull car I'm not sure how its Mclaren who have found a way of 'stuffing up' as you say apart from in Canada (which as I'll remind you they ended up winning).

Interestingly Canada was only the second time this season that Webber has qualified infront of both Mclarens - so they must be doing something right. Until the Monoco incident the only people who had out qualified Lewis were Vettel, Webber, Button and Rosberg so I don't think the teams tactics in qualifying are what is stopping Mclaren compeating with Red Bull. I think it has more to do with the fact that both their drivers have a tendency to drive into people and things.

As I said before - I'm not betting against Vettel for pole but would expect the Mclaren's to be 2nd and 3rd and probably jump him off the line.

Back
Top Bottom