2010 Rule Changes

GeoffP

Wake me when we’re there
Contributor
Whilst being a very strong advocate of gradual evolution as the great equaliser between teams rich and poor, and allowing drivers to come to terms with how to get the best out of a set-up, and therefore allowing skill to show, I felt it was time to start a conceptual thread.

In an ideal world, what would be your three favourite rule changes to the 2009 series to evolve F1 in an achievable direction of racing, safety, accessability, or whatever.

You can choose rule changes already planned. Btw El_Nanado, we're not going to allow a rule to have Alonso on pole at each race (for one thing, surely he won't need it!).

To get the ball rolling:

- Allow mid season testing by pre-season nominated test drivers;

- Narrower tyres, to allow higher straight speeds and lower corner speeds;

- Qualifying sessions to have a "time added" basis for red flagged sessions.

I would also love to see an evolution on the cocept of controlled pit release. To get it to work I belive there should be a centralised system that is triggered by the pit crew, but centrally controls traffic lights in each pit based on pit lane activity. An evolution, but not for 2010.

What about three cars required in the first practice session for all teams who want the right to have a replacement driver.

• Ban double deck diffusers to reduce turbulent air
  • Allow limited mid-season testing at tracks without F1 races either in 2009 or 2010
  • Reindroduce multiple brands of tyres

teabagyokel said:
  • Ban double deck diffusers to reduce turbulent air
I'm fairly sure that GM posted something a while ago that proved the double deck diffusers actually produced less trubulent air.

I think it was some analysis that was done during the investigation into them at the beginning of the season.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Force Felipe Massa to change his name by deed-poll to Lewis Hamilton, just to see how spooked FA really is LOL

On a more serious note - one hour qualifying, no knock out (with some rules about how many laps have to be run and when), the return of (limited) in-season testing, multiple tyre suppliers, removal of all winglets and bargeboard mirrors, no KERS at all or KERS manadatory for all cars, no tyre changes during the race.

I'm sure there are more...

1) Cars may only use steel brakes
2) Reduce number of days allocated to pre-season testing but use that time to have several test days during the season including one session to be used at any time for young driver development.
3) In conjuction with change 2, allow cars to have "development windows" following the test days, for all components (aero, engine etc) (except after young driver test) to allow teams to catch up but ban teams from altering cars outside of these periods.

Rats! Okay I will go with:

- one hour qualifying, no knock out (with some rules about how many laps have to be run and when)

- the return of (limited) in-season testing

- no tyre changes during the race

Manual gearboxes - ban those flippy flappy paddle thingies in favour of a proper gear-stick. Therefore, no sequential boxes, making missing a gear a possibility.

Steel brakes

That's two, I'm sure I'll think of a third... :unsure:

1. Complete ban on any aero-tweaks apart from front and rear wings. Flat undertrays of a minimum dimension and no rear diffusion of any kind. Rear wings to be fitted with race-specific standard kicker plates to increase slipstream size.
2. Only one pit stop per race can be used for fuel, 3 different tyre compounds available whenever needed but still with restricted numbers. Fuel and tyres can't be changed on same pit stop.
3. Get back to sand traps and grass rather than massive run-offs - make a mistake and you pay....

Got loads more, most of which relax the rules rather than tighten them

This is probably not going to go down well but here goes...

1. Removal of any and all restrictions on design - if teams want 6 wheels or 4WD let them.
2. Removal of all engine restrictions and lifting of the freeze - let teams run whatever engines they want, even if it is a supercharged diesel.
3. Allow unlimited testing and development during the season.

Those probably go against the grain but as far as I'm concerned, F1 has always been about pushing the envelope and innovative cutting edge design and engineering.

If I want to watch identikit racing I'll watch GP2 or A1GP.

This is probably not going to go down well but here goes...

1. Removal of any and all restrictions on design - if teams want 6 wheels or 4WD let them.
2. Removal of all engine restrictions and lifting of the freeze - let teams run whatever engines they want, even if it is a supercharged diesel.
3. Allow unlimited testing and development during the season.

Those probably go against the grain but as far as I'm concerned, F1 has always been about pushing the envelope and innovative cutting edge design and engineering.

If I want to watch identikit racing I'll watch GP2 or A1GP.
:cheer:

Goes down well with me, F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport at the cutting edge of design. Keep the rules regarding safety, throw out all Max's controlling dogma.

1. Reduction on material limitations (ie lifting the Aluminum Beryllium ban). I wasn't really aware of the ban until I read the article in the September Racecar Engineering but for a material with such unique properties and used so heavily in the aerospace industry there is no reason to ban it from F1. It would open up alot more engine development as well as general weight savings.

2. Limitation on the amount of aero elements. This is not a ban on winglets or underbody diffusers but simply a limit to encourage selection of the ones that are the most beneficial and encourage the further development of the actual profile instead of adding multiple elements.

3. Increase the availability of KERS boost. Simply to give the KERS development a boost by making it more advantageous. And spur on increase development into high cycling capabilities of batteries.

I would say the theme of my changes are technical advancement with actual application to consumer vehicle design. Creating technology is great when it has a purpose. For an auto company to pour money into the sport they need some incentive, and things like advanced materials/composites, aerodynamics, and hybrid systems are some of the biggest players. More and more cars already have underbody aero, specialty steel structures, and obviously hybrid drive systems. The F1 community needs to help be a leader in these areas with rules to encourage development.

Back
Top Bottom