Grand Prix 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Well round 3 is now upon us as the second part of a double header with Australia. Rain in Sepang will be a mixed blessing as we will all be hoping for less than last year but enough to perhaps once again shake up the order.

For the first practice session Force India will once again be running Paul Di Resta and it will be Liuzzi's turn to give up his car for the session. The British driver impressed a lot of people with his initial runs in Australia finishing 11th on the time sheets at the end of his session and will be getting further valuable experience behind the wheel of an F1 car. Di Resta has been associated with Mercedes through Mclaren so it will be inresting to see how this relationship will develop. Lotus will be running their Malaysian test driver, Fairuz Fauzy, in first practice which makes a lot of sense for the Malay backed team. Fauzy was quite impressive in winter testing and despite problems with the car posted times that were not far off those of his more experienced team mates.

For the front runners, Red Bull be hoping to turn pace into finishes, Button has claimed this track will not suit Mclaren, Ferrari will look to build on a strong start and Mercedes will be desperate not to let those three teams start to build up a points lead.

In the midfield there is a real battle developing between Force India and Williams for lead of the chasing pack. Both teams have looked strong so far this season and will be hoping they can get both of their cars to cross the finish line.

Towards the back of the field Kobyashi will be praying his car stays in one piece and that he can get the chance to show some of the speed that impressed so many people just a few months ago, as the Saubers and the Torro Rosso cars battle not to be the first team caught and passed by one of the newbies.

And right back in the cheep seats, Lotus will be hoping that the troubles that plagued Jarno Trulli in Australia have now been fixed and that both cars will make the start this time. Virgins problems have been well documented and after HRT managed to get one of their cars home and safe they will once again be looking to build on that.

If the weather is poor and the race is one of high attrition it's not out of the question that one of the new teams could score a point this weekend.

Let's just hope we get to see the whole race this year.

Re: 2010 Malaysian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Rather dissapointing to see Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes sitting in the pits twiddling their thumbs. You have to ask yourself if the pinnacle of F1 is also the nadir of common sense? :givemestrength: :givemestrength: :givemestrength:

Great lap from Mark Webber. :goodday:

They really need to think long and hard about whether scheduling races late in the day in the monsoon season is sensible. My GP timer woke me at 3am and there was no way I could get back to sleep so I was far too tired to appreciate the qualifying! :crazy:

I really wonder who comes up with these genius strategic moves in Ferrari and McLaren. That was simply idiotic. In any case, will be fun seeing them fight it out tomorrow. I hope Red Bull isn't that dominant tomorrow either.

The more I thought about the debacle this morning concerning McLaren and Ferrari, the closer I came to the conclusion that this is precisely what Bernie wants.

By scheduling this GP in the rainy season, and holding the Qualifying session and Race at the time of the day that it will almost assuredly rain, you are guaranteeing a mixed up grid followed by a hectic, action packed Grand Prix.

However, the geniuses on the McLaren and Ferrari pit walls are the sole reason their cars will be starting at the back. Utterly incredible decision making. It's inconceivable why they would wait so long to get out on track. Their excuse that they thought the rain would stop shortly is ludicrous.

But Bernie has got a grand spectacle on tap, as the McLarens and Ferraris should be slicing through the field tomorrow, providing tons of action. Not to mention what might be happening at the front. Add in the preordained rain and you've got a serious show on your hands.

They had better get in a full race distance though, or I won't be a happy man. >:(

Although the Red Bulls are at the front and the other main contenders are near the back, the likelihood of rain storm a deluge will make this anything but a foregone conclusion for either Webber or Vettel. Even without Red Bull's shown fragility so far this season, the conditions today were like the track was coated in palm oil...

Can't wait for tomorrow's race! :popcorn:

teabagyokel said:
The schedule is essentially this:

F1Match of the Day (repeat)
Easter ServicesF1
[td]BBC1[/td][td]BBC2[/td]

I gave the BBC not enough credit with my earlier post decrying this schedule. Because the channel changes at 10:00, that will mean that the channel will change during the mid-race monsoon break. Well thought out, guys!

Interesting stuff but don't rule the Mclarens or Ferraris yet. I can see a few safety cars being deployed and perhaps a restart or two in the race so if they can work their way through the field with minimal contact then I can see them being near the front quite sharpish as the Red Bull's won't get the chance to scamper off into the wet sunset.

It's lined up for a good race so long as the big boys don't get caught up in any unnecessary tangles while making their way through the field.

That was, without a doubt, one of the most bizarre qualifying sessions I've seen in years, regardless of series......... :o :o :o :o :o

Seriously..........WTH were the geniuses(and I do use that term loosely....) in the Ferrari and McLaren paddocks' thinking waiting til' the session's nearly over to go out? Hobbs & Matchett on the Speed Channel had it right on the point about Q1: all you have to do is make the top-17, so go ahead, set a hot lap and then, if the weather begins to go belly-up(as it did during qualifying) wait and see what happens. But did they? No..........and look where it got them. :embarrassed: :givemestrength: :givemestrength:

Of course, now the pressure is on Red Bull; you've got both your main rivals mired deep in the field while both your drivers are at the sharp end of the spear. I mean, even the GEICO cavemen couldn't screw this one up........then again, w/the Troll running Formula 1, who knows what can happen these days? :o

I'm pretty sure a similar thing happened last season but I can't remember the team or race.

It really is stupidity to go out in Q1 simply because they held on for better track conditions.

Hopefully they will learn from this and go out no matter what in future.
Let's face it, even if they had set a poor time on inters at the start of the session, it was still going to be better than half of the other runners and they would have been through to Q2 comfortably.

Ferrari did it last year with Massa, same race, I thought I heard on the commentary.

I wonder if a certain "we know better than you" aragonce has crept in among the top teams. If it has then it's a) quite funny to watch their uppance well and truly come and b) I think it will be lesson learnt from here on in.

I can’t believe Ferrari did it again! :crazy: I still have nightmares with poor Räikkönen on full wets on dry tarmac.

Another thing. Surfing through the German media, I found this (I’ve included the automatic translation):

http://translate.google.de/translat...schmerzhaftem_Sturz_10040307.html&sl=de&tl=en

It states, Webber got lightly hurt in one hand showing off down a staircase after qualifying. Does anybody know if it’s true? He can not be so childish!

I'm still speechless at the decision making too! There's a few situations that keep cropping up where they never seem to learn:

* If rain is likely, get out and put in a banker lap regardless of what the weather forecast tells you.

* If you pit and the choice is whether to change tyres or to leave the old ones on, just change the tyres! (providing you haven't run out of sets that is).

For some strange reason, i have a vision of Vettel not finishing tommorows race due to "electrical failure". :dunno:
Don't get me wrong, i support Red Bull from the day they took over Jaguar but i think they need a bit more time this season to "get things right".

As for the "McLaren-Ferrari" brilliant qualifying strategy... :o :o :o :o
Maybe it's a way of making "the show" more interesting? LOL

Cancer Cowboy said:
For some strange reason, i have a vision of Vettel not finishing tommorows race due to "electrical failure". :dunno:
Don't get me wrong, i support Red Bull from the day they took over Jaguar but i think they need a bit more time this season to "get things right".

As for the "McLaren-Ferrari" brilliant qualifying strategy... :o :o :o :o
Maybe it's a way of making "the show" more interesting? LOL

The way things have done this weekend in Sepang, I wouldn't be surprised if Sebby V actually finishes the race............that's assuming, of course, we don't get a monsoon like the one they had last year. :o :o :o

As for Ferrari and McLaren................I'll bet the post-qual. debrief was interesting! ROFL ROFL ROFL

That was a good race. Really horrible to see Michael and Fernando (especially) go away. Hamilton drove excellently. It was a bit weird to see Alonso do so well with that mechanical problem. Another great race by Kubica, Rosberg and especially Sutil. Last but not least, congrats to Red Bull for finally delivering what they should have!

This was definitely a fun race and not boring at all. I still share the same opinion that Bahrain should be eliminated as the first race!

I would agree with that.

An entertaining race but there's still the underlying problem of faster cars not being able to pass.
Let's hope for more mixed up grids :D

I enjoyed the race immensely and it didn't rain!

Which was very tough on Lewis who's strategist couldn't shake off the duff decision from last week. :bored: I'm not sure exactly where the window was but it was somewhere between lap 20 and 25 when they should have given up on the risk of rain and called him in for his mandatory stop. Had they done so Lewis would have gotton 4th or 5th and possibly even a podium. His drive today really deserved that, he was awesome!

If you compare his early laps and the tenacity he showed compared to Felipe, Fernando and Jenson, the contrast couldn't be more stark yet he finishes the race just a tad in front of two of them. :givemestrength: With Fernando's great effort also set to be rewarded with similarly useful points.

I enjoyed the race today. It didn't quite turn out to be the classic that a little rain might have made it but it was characterised by some very bold overtaking manoeuvres, particularly by Hamilton and Algesuari Algersuari Algusuari Jaime in the Toro Rosso, the latter my personal driver of the day.

If it wasn't for those baffling decisions by Mclaren and Ferrari then it would have been great to see them going toe to toe with the Red Bulls. Congrats to them for getting through a race with a high attrition rate with no problems :D

The various strategies made we wonder if we will see someone opt for harder tyres in Q3 to be able to start on them in the race. I know it will compromise grid position a bit but harder tyres on the full tanks seem a better idea and then softs on low fuel the car is much faster. Suppose overtaking is still a problem...

Back
Top Bottom