Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 23. Trulli

• 24. Buemi

• Total voters
teabagyokel said:
jenov2003 said:
I've voted for Alonso - his entire weekend was an inspiration, notwithstanding the outcome. I don't believe that he can be blamed for the team call and think that he would have passed Massa legitimately at some point.

I am going with jen. Since I apparently do not like Alonso, the fact that I spend half my time defending him on this site is quite extraordinary!
Haha! - Sometimes it is almost impossible to be seen as impartial. I think most people prefer to label others, perhaps so they feel that they know what and who they're dealing with.

Back on topic: In a sense, Alonso has lost out, in the aftermath of the 'Team Orders' incident; in a sense, his superb weekend has become easy to overlook. After all, surely there can be little doubt that he was really the man to beat this weekend? - in spite of the fact that he did not claim Pole Position (as many had expected).

I suppose what I'm saying is that for the whole weekend, he had done the best job. I've voted for Massa but Alonso's performance over the whole weekend was surely superior. But all this was tarnished to such an extent, that I have to turn away from these logical conclusions, and cast my vote less dispassionately, with the bias borne of emotion. That's why Alonso doesn't get my vote.

It has to be Massa. Yes, Fernando out-qualified him and Friday's performance was reminiscent of Great Britain 2008, but he was going to win the race without Ferrari's shenanigans.

One year on from his crash in Hungary, many were starting to wonder whether we would see Felipe fighting at the front again, myself included, and we got a resounding answer to that question, YES.

It would have been storybook stuff to see him win on the anniversary of the wreck that ended his 2009 campaign, but the bigwigs at Maranello weren't having any of it.

Massa; on the anniversary of his crash it would have been brilliant to see him take the top step, a true return to form that would have been universally* popular had the switcheroo not been pulled.

*with the possibly exception of his team mate.

Massa winning on the anniversary of his accident last year - pie in the sky - the world/God/life/Ferrari/et al really don't give a stuff.

Is there anyone here who hasn't had set backs? No, so what happens when reality intervenes? Does anyone believe that in exactly a year's time you will receive a thank you/leg up/compensation. If so, sadly mistaken.

jenov2003 said:
Massa winning on the anniversary of his accident last year - pie in the sky - the world/God/life/Ferrari/et al really don't give a stuff.

Is there anyone here who hasn't had set backs? No, so what happens when reality intervenes? Does anyone believe that in exactly a year's time you will receive a thank you/leg up/compensation. If so, sadly mistaken.

That's a little maudlin, and he hardly got a leg up or compensation, more a poke in the eye with a pointy contract.

jenov2003 said:
Does anyone believe that in exactly a year's time you will receive a thank you/leg up/compensation.

A "thank you" for winning a Grand Prix might have been appropriate. A "thank you" for moving aside, not so much.

Felipe wasn't gifted the win, he had earned it. Massa wasn't asking for preferential treatment, Fernando was.

KekeTheKing said:
jenov2003 said:
Does anyone believe that in exactly a year's time you will receive a thank you/leg up/compensation.

A "thank you" for winning a Grand Prix might have been appropriate. A "thank you" for moving aside, not so much.

Felipe wasn't gifted the win, he had earned it. Massa wasn't asking for preferential treatment, Fernando was.

It was the assumption that a set-back deserves recompense somehow that annoyed me.

I do think that what Ferrari did was ill-thought out and could have been better handled. Having said that, Massa has always been a number two - if that is where you place yourself that is usually what you get.

(Sorry, but there are family issues that colour my judgement and always will when it comes to what should and shouldn't be).

I would have liked to see Alonso take the win legitimately and I think he could have done eventually - what then to the mantra that Massa deserved it.

Bullfrog said:
jenov2003 said:

That's a little maudlin, and he hardly got a leg up or compensation, more a poke in the eye with a pointy contract.

A contract that one assumes he signed.

jenov2003 said:
I would have liked to see Alonso take the win legitimately and I think he could have done eventually - what then to the mantra that Massa deserved it.
If Alonso had been able to pass then Alonso would have deserved it.

If Massa had been able to hold him off then Massa would have deserved it.

Sadly we'll never know.

jenov2003 said:
KekeTheKing said:
jenov2003 said:

It was the assumption that a set-back deserves recompense somehow that annoyed me.

I do think that what Ferrari did was ill-thought out and could have been better handled. Having said that, Massa has always been a number two - if that is where you place yourself that is usually what you get.

(Sorry, but there are family issues that colour my judgement and always will when it comes to what should and shouldn't be).

It doesn't deserve recompense, but it would have been a very symbolic victory (and before you ask, no I don't think Alonso would have got him but that's somewhat beside the point) for a very popular driver. Instead we got a tainted race and who knows how much recrimination and bickering in the media (and possibly courts).

I know which one I'd prefer, regardless of should/shouldn't or deserve.

jenov2003 said:

In that scenario I wouldn't have selected Felipe for "Driver of the Weekend". If Ferrari had maneuvered him into position for the win in a sentimental frame of mind, I wouldn't have selected him as "Driver of the Weekend".

I just felt that Massa deserved the win because of everything he had done on the circuit throughout the Grand Prix. It's not because I felt that some cosmic energy owed him something, or that Karma was finally coming around for him.

I'm not a Massa supporter, and I've never really cheered for him to win a race, but I couldn't help appreciate the fact that it would have been a fabulous turn of events for Felipe if he had been allowed to seize the opportunity he had earned up to that point. Therefore I gave him the nod in the coveted "CTA Driver of the Weekend" award.

KekeTheKing said:
I'm not a Massa supporter, and I've never really cheered for him to win a race, but I couldn't help appreciate the fact that it would have been a fabulous turn of events for Felipe if he had been allowed to seize the opportunity he had earned up to that point. Therefore I gave him the nod in the coveted "CTA Driver of the Weekend" award.

Consider these sentiments thoroughly echoed.

Back
Top Bottom