Grand Prix 2010 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So after a break last year while certain "Contract" issues were resolved Canada returns to the calendar, bringing with it everyone's favourite wall. How many drivers will fall foul of it this year we wonder.

The good news for the circuit organisers is that the GP is a sell out which justifies the amount of effort that they put into ensuring that the track would remain a highlight of the season.

As for the teams, it's widely acknowledged that this track should play into the hands of McLaren who, with their F-Duct, should have the advantage when it comes to straight line speed. Red Bull's drivers have agreed to disagree about whose fault it was and its all smiles for the cameras but you can almost guarantee that on the track they will be even more determined. We've seen this situation several times before, Piquet/Mansell and Hamiltion/Alonso for example, where team mates at war have thrown away a clear car advantage and let a third driver in to pinch the championship.

Ferrari will be desperate to recover from a poor Turkish GP while Mercedes will look to continue their recent improvement and finish ahead of the scarlet cars. Schumacher is one of the champions who left a little too much paint on the "wall" and with a Merc' that still doesn't seem to be handling the way he'd like it, will he do it again. Renault will once again be pushing both of them all the way.

In the mid field, Sauber are finally starting to claw there way back towards the front end and now look to be able to compete with Force India while Toro Rosso have shown signs that they can find some speed from their car. Jaime Unspellable recently taking the fastest lap of the race may have been a huge boost and he has shown signs, now that he has had a chance to get more experience behind the wheel that he may be capable of doing a job.

Williams. Oh dear. With Sauber pulling themselves up to the back of Force India it would seem that Williams are now stuck fighting it out with STR for the crumbs from the top table. With that last win for the team looking further and further away and no sign of another any time soon, these are troubled times. That it's been over a decade since JV's title and watching yet another excellent Adrian Newey designed car further down the pit lane must just rub more salt into the wound.

Finally the newbies, Lotus continue their development of the T127 however the recent gains made over the last couple of races are likely to slow again as Mike Gascgoyne insists his team will be concentrating on the development of next years car. The real story among the newbies is the continued improvement of HRT having out-qualified one of the Virgin cars in Turkey. Is this a sign of the chaos surrounding the Virgin team or is this a sign that HRT have made a leap in technical performance since their chaotic début. They must be confident that they have what it takes to improve since they recently severed their links to Dallara and are going it alone when it comes to chassis development. Finally at Virgin, the signs that they are heading the way of Nick Wirth's previous foray into F1 cannot be ignored. With the Virgin brand on the cars it's well known that for Sir Richard, failure is not an option. They need to sort out their woes quickly otherwise it could be back to "Manor" racing next year or something worse.

So that's the state of play, let's hope Canada continues the recent run of great races.

Re: 2010 Canadian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Great race, excellent work by all three guys on the podium, truly the class of the field IMO. I would love to see some iffy tyres at every race in the future; can the FIA introduce a mandatory slow puncture rule to keep it interesting.

You have to look if you are Red Bull and ask how you have got poll on 7 of the first 8 races yet you find yourself 2nd in the constructors, 3rd and 5th in the drivers with McLaren having 3 1-2 finishes. They have thrown away points and opportunities on a grand scale, frankly they should have done a Brawn.

Glad to see Hamilton on top of the table, even taking into account the poor races in bad weather at the start of the season, he has consistently been the most interesting, aggressive and fantastically exciting driver over the course of the year to date, makes you wonder how far ahead he would have been if the car had made it in Spain or if he had made the right tyre choice in Malaysia.

Imagine how much better F1 would be with another tyre war.

That's a discussion for another thread though.

Hello one and all - Thought i'd keep an eye in here after seeing the link on the EUKhost site :)

Fantastic race today.. back to what racing should be - and that is a race til the end. F1 certainly has its spirit back and was full of excitment for the whole weekend.

Great to see a Mclaren 1/2 again.. although I really think it could have gone to anyone at any point.. Red Bull tried to "spread bet" the situation by still Vettel and Webber on different tyre strats.. and sadly both didn't pay off. When Webber pitted to go on the Options and put him in 6th, the BBC commentators wrote him off - but in reality, what if the track hadn't cut in and all the Prime had gone off infront of him? He's have been back in the race.

Another safe and dedicated drive by Hamilton. My man is Button, and I hope being Hamiltons wingman isn't a regular occurance.. although, realistically - Hamilton is a faster driver.

Main thing for me this GP was Schumacher.. He just continues to get on my nerves. There is a fine line between pushing your oppoenent to their limits to keep your place - and blantently running them off the road. Disgraceful driving. Wonder if Brawn thinks that his comeback was a mistake now?

-- edit for spelling, too many beers :) --

Jester said:
Hello one and all - Thought i'd key an eye in here after seeing the link on the EUKhost site :)
Welcome Jester, glad to have you on board

FYI, a bunch of us are usually in chat for each session, whether that's practice, qualifying or the race.

Just click on Chat on the navbar.

Watched a recording - busy day and all that - Recording cur out at 7:15 - 8 laps to go :givemestrength:

Not a happy bunny with Humax PVRs right now >:(

It should be on the iPlayer later Geoff and also highlights on BBC3 later tonight.

Thanks Bro, yup, I'll have to sort it out, but the excitement was pretty high at that point, kinda hard to forgive my technology that one - back to Sky next weekend...

Felipe Massa has been hit with a 20 second time penalty for speeding in the pit lane.

Still no word on the other 2 investigations concerning Schumacher and Massa which is why the results are still provisional.

Another cracking race and for the first time this season the "two tyre rule" actually worked in its favour. For once we were finally presented with a variation in strategy from team to team. A fine win by the Woking boys but a great effort by Fernando after a disaster in Turkey.

Another poor display from Schumacher who is fast running out of "wait and see" credits.

It would have been a different race for both Massa and Liuzzi if they hadn't had the coming together at turn one but both fought back really well.

And to cap it all for me, the Lotus of Kovi ran well and actually managed to hold off Petrov. They're getting there.

Canada is back !!

Well, well, well. :unsure: Another dry race, another great F1 race, overtaking! WTF is going on?!! :D

I cannie believe it Captain... :cheers:

A reprimand for Robert Kubica for his dangerous pit entry.

A reprimand also for Jaime Alguersuari for an incident with Rubens Barrichello.

No action for the incident between Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa.

Brogan said:
No action for the incident between Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa.

Perhaps they felt sorry for him... after all, Felipe had suffered enough by not avoiding the grass and he didn't hold Schumacher up
that much!* :whistle:

*sarcasm alert. No, I don't mean Massa should have been penalised!

BTW, this was the first time since Phoenix 1991 that 3 Champions were on the podium.
Then it was Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost and Nelson Piquet.

Lewis also becomes the 5th driver to lead the WDC so far this season which equals the previous record.

Kewl. :victory:

It's a real shame that the fallout from Bahrain now appears to be bringing about a fundamental shift in the formula that has brought us so much joy this season. The reintroduction of KERs and an adjustable rear wing fill me with total dread and despair. :givemestrength:

I shall make a point of revelling and enthusing about this season all the more for I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.

This season has been totally awesome! :cheers:

I enjoyed the Canadian GP so much I just watched the whole thing again.

I can't remember the last time I did that.

Brogan said:
I enjoyed the Canadian GP so much I just watched the whole thing again.

I can't remember the last time I did that.

I watched Australia, China and Turkey twice, mostly because they were classics and it means I get to listen to both 5 live during the race, then Brundle afterwards. Unfortunately I forgot to 'DVR' the Canada race! :givemestrength:

I try to ignore that cretin Legard but it's difficult..

Spooky.

I almost watched it again last night, the overtaking video got me well in the mood.

I had to watch it in Benidorm last Sunday and just got back. I think I may just do the same and watch it again. It was an awesome race and one of the best races, if not the best race, I have ever watched. Cracking GP and shows why Montreal should always be on the calendar!

Back
Top Bottom